Status: Writing and posting

Remember Me

Cue the flirting

“So, how was the show?” Carly asked as she watched John yawn on the other side of her laptop.

“It was fantastic,” He said smiling.

She smiled at his smile; she loved when he talked about his band and music. She knew, even though he was exhausted, he wouldn't want to be doing anything else.

“How was the rest of your day?” John asked before drinking from a water bottle.

She shrugged and sighed. “What’s wrong Carly?” He asked. She looked at his eyebrows, which tilted down, his lips thinned into a frown.

She sighed and shook her head, she hated making John feel sad.

“I just miss you and the summer.” She said softly. "I know we talk every day, and I'm so thankful for that. But it's not the same. Sometimes I just need your hugs, to see your grin more, to hear your voice more." She stopped and blinked hard, convincing herself not to cry.

John sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

“I miss you too, but we will be in town in a week,” He said half shrugging. “And we get to spend a whole weekend together. I know it doesn't make up for the time we haven't been together, but I really appreciate your support you've given me this entire time." He said smiling.

She half smiled and looked at him. He winked, and she knew he meant it.

Carly sighed and nodded. “I know, I’m sorry for bringing this all up."

“Why are you apologizing?” He asked shaking his head. “You know I want you to tell me things.”

“I just feel like I’m wasting our time talking by whining,” He shook his head cutting her off.

“Just stop love," He smiled and waited for her to be okay. "So, how is your mom doing since you’ve been back at school?”

Carly smiled at his topic change and pulled up a couple photos Susan sent to show him her mom's newest adventures.

----


“Thank you, I had a lot of fun,” Carly said walking up her wooden front porch steps. Garrett was sitting inside a dark blue jeep, patiently waiting for John to get into the car.

John rubbed the back of his neck and smiled. “Are you just being nice?”

She grinned and shook her head. “No, seriously, your friends are great. I felt like I was already a part of the gang.”

“Well, I’m glad you feel that way, and I'm really sorry about your shirt.” He said as he shoved his large hands in his tiny pockets.

Carly held out the bottom of her shirt and shrugged. “It’s fine, that’s what a washer is for.” The bottom was still slightly wet and smelled like an entire case of beer.

She couldn't wait to get inside and shower, but she wanted to prolong it so she could continue talking to John. She enjoyed their conversation, it was nice, and it all flowed easily.

He grinned and nodded. “Well, can I have your number so we can hang out again?”

Carly blushed and nodded and held out her hand. John unlocked his phone and set the device into her hands.

She was about to click on the phone icon, when she saw the background and stopped.

“Is this your mom?” She asked looking at the photograph.

He blushed and nodded, “Yeah, I miss her while I’m gone.”

Carly looked at the background of John with his arm around a shorter woman. They had the same eyes and smile. She looked at him and softly smiled. It looked like they were in the backyard of a house, and it looked like summer time. John has a tank on, while his mom was wearing a summer dress.

“That’s probably the cutest thing I’ve ever heard and seen John.” Carly said as she typed in her name and number and saved the contact.

“The guys make fun of me, except for Pat cause he’s a huge momma’s boy.”

Carly smiled and looked behind her at the door. The lights were all out except the living room.

“Well, I should go, but for the record there’s nothing wrong with being a momma’s boy, girls like that.” She said waving before going into the house and closing the door.

She grinned to herself as she leaned against the wood hoping she would hear from John tomorrow.

----


“I’m so happy that all my lessons of flirting finally paid off!” Lauren said as the roommates drank their morning coffee.

Carly shook her head and smiled, “I have no idea what came over me to say that.”

Lauren grinned, “Because you already knew then that you liked him.”

“I guess so,” Carly said frowning into her mug. “I didn’t really think about it that night, or the next day when he texted me. At the point, he was fun to be around and made me laugh. I knew I wanted to hang out again though.”

“But now that you’re reflecting over the summer, do you think you were starting to like him?” Lauren asked.

“Yeah, I do.” Carly said before she sighed and stood from the couch. “I was a goner from the beginning.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Womp. So I made some slight changes in my word document to this a week ago, and they're gone. Figures.
So let me know what you think! I'll try and update on Thursday before the Thanksgiving festivities happen, it's going to be a crazy week/work week for me.

I love you all!
Thank you to Katie Mosing and arizonaskies for the lovely comments, you guys are the best!