Status: Finished, check out the sequel

How Many Times Can You Race Around the Tree Before You Catch Me?

Headline

My body and my mind seemed exhausted past function, but somehow sleep never really came that night. Instead my mind raced with thoughts of what could happen tomorrow. Soon the sun was shining through the curtains and the bus roared to life so that it could be moved. I sat up when that happened and walked out to the front. The second we were parked, My feet hit the ground to find the motionless bus. Vinny probably wasn’t going to be too peachy after the talk we had yesterday, but my hands were tied in this matter. What I didn’t expect was Chris and Josh to be awake and having a conversation.

“What happened to your face?” I rolled my eyes at Chris and plopped down on the couch with a large yelp of pain.

“No, really. What the fuck happened to you?” Josh was up and in the freezer getting me an ice pack.

“Wet paper towel please?” He handed me the ice bag and the paper towel. I wiped all the makeup off my face and arms before placing the ice on my side.

“This is what happens when it’s apparently your fault that your best friend is lifeless in a hospital. He OD’ed on Heroin and Bryce is still convinced that it is my fault.” Josh and Chris seemed astonished.

“That fucking prick has the audacity to blame you for that?” I shook my head.

“I don’t have time for that right now. He hasn’t woken up yet. Can one of you just help me get my stuff back to the other bus? I have to go do something to preoccupy my mind and I’m about to have an anxiety attack.” Chris looked at Josh before standing.

“Let’s go for a walk really quick.” I gave him an incredulous look.

“I can’t I have to get my stuff to the bus. Before bitchy Bryce wakes up.”

“I’ll have Vinny bring it over. Just go for a walk.” Josh motioned out the door and I let Chris help me up with a groan.

Today we were all parked in the grass field behind an amusement park. The actual festival grounds were an amphitheater and then grass for the other stages. I was having a problem walking up the hills, so it was quiet while Chris helped me down into the amphitheater.

“Are you ok?” He finally asked as we neared the seats. I sighed and he waited until we were seated before waiting for me to answer.

“I mean I look like shit…” I chuckled trying to break the awkward silence. He rested his elbow on the back of the chair he was seated in and rested his chin on his hand. I sighed and sat forward in my chair.

“I’ve never played in front of a crowd of more than about 50 people… Depending on the set Kevin gives us today, we’ll probably play in front of at least a thousand.” I looked over and saw them starting to hang all of the back drops for the main stages.

“Just take a deep breath, you can do this. I know you don’t think so right now…” He sighed.

“Well I’m fucked right now. I’m gonna have to tape the pick to my damn hands.” We both looked down at the damage my fight with Bryce did to my hands. Both were purpling and swelled profusely. Clenching my fists hurt like no other as well.

“Then it’s an obstacle you can over come. Look,” He turn more so that he was facing me from the chair one row in front of me that he occupied,” you’re a strong woman. This may seem impossible, but like a lot of other challenges you’ve faced in life I am sure you’ll overcome it. You have tons of people willing to help you. Just do your best and that will be more than enough for anyone that matters.”

I smiled the best I could. Fifteen year old me would have never guessed that I would be sitting in front of one of the people I idolized the most while they gave me tips and tried to cheer me up. So I did something I hadn’t done in years. My arms went up and around Chris in the most painful hug I had ever given. He hugged me back a few moments later before I pulled away.

“What was that for?” I played with my lip rings.

“For being the first person to believe in me and tell me that…” He opened his mouth to say something but promptly closed it.

“You don’t have to say anything,” I reassured him,” I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate you welcoming me into your little group. I really do have to go get ready though….” I stood with a wince. He followed suit and we went back to the bus.

“Wanna stop and look at the set times with me?” We detoured into the festival grounds and saw a group of people gathered around the blow up.

“That’s a lot of people.” Soon it made sense for us to see the people gathered around.

HAVE FUN TRYING TO GET THIS ON THE FLYER 8:10

Kevin had put us up as headlining the Main Stage. Now on top of me not being prepared for this, we were probably about five songs short of a headlining set.

“Oh fuck” Chris’ exclamation said everything I never could.

“I’m going to die. I’m gonna go jump in front of a truck now.” Chris gently grabbed my arm.

“Oh no you don’t come on.” He pulled me back in the direction of his bus.

“I have to go back to the bus. This isn’t the way to my bus.”

“You’re very observant. We’re going back to my bus so you can calm the fuck down. Being around them won’t calm you down.” His words made more sense than I was willing to admit at that point in time.

Their bus was now fully awake when we arrived back. Ricky, Balz, and Ghost were in the trailer talking.

“What the fuck happened to you?!” Ricky saw us first.

“For the love of fucking god,” I looked around and saw Balz had aviators on his head and there was one of their hoodies sitting on the ground. I grabbed both, while Balz’ protest, and put them on,” There’s nothing wrong. You saw nothing. Everyone go to bed early tonight and leave before 8” I tried to walk away and Chris stopped me again.

“Who pissed in your cheerios?” Balz snickered.

“Our little girl is performing for the first time tonight.” Chris smirked like a proud father.

“Don’t you already do that?” Ricky asked before taking a sip of his coffee.

“She’s taking over for Jake.” Chris answered before I could.

“Chris, I can still talk….” He chuckled.

“Taking over for Jake?” I sighed and turned to Chris.

“This isn’t helping my anxiety, I’m going back to the bus.” He grabbed my arm as I walked away again.

“No you’re not. You’re going to stay here and hang out.”