Status: Finished, check out the sequel

How Many Times Can You Race Around the Tree Before You Catch Me?

Dress

Chicago threw a kink into my progress. Jeremy had told me he didn't want me taking care of them that day, and as sad as I was about it there was too much for me to do to be actually upset about it. There was no relief though, Andy had showed up. Andy Herrara, Manager for Flyer, decided to fly all the way from Los Angeles for "a little chat with his favorite employers" or to give us the news.

"Andy! Hey man!" Christian gave him a big hug when he stepped onto the bus. The guys were all friends with him, but I knew that there was no such thing as a friendly visit with Andy.

"I haven't seen you guys in awhile!" He sat down after giving everyone hugs and Christian made everyone drinks.

"Are you here for any specific reason?" I asked, hoping he would be more honest. Thankfully, he let out a small sigh as Christian handed him a drink.

"Look, I hate to do this, but until further notice you've been pulled from all tours post Warped." The guys were furious. Within seconds the bus was in meltdown mode, chaos continued around me as I stared down Andy.

"Are we being dropped?" He shook his head.

"No," Only I would hear him at this point so he faced me, "We want you guy to cool off for a bit. With the Jake situation still in critical we don't want to send you out to do something you're not ready for." I shook my head.

"That's bull shit Andy!" Silence followed my outburst. Even Andy looked mad.

"Really? Why is that Amelia?" I narrowed my eye at his clear shot to me. He knew I hated when people used my name.

"You're fully aware that we can handle it, so I want to know who you're trying to usher in to cover up our situation. I know how it works." He sighed.

"There is one band that is projected to so better than you. We think that it would be in everyone's interest to give them the chance to shine while you guys sort out your situation and record the new album." I scoffed.

"You're giving out the precursor lines that bands hear when they're going to be dropped. I've been playing this game for five years, I know what's going to happen." I slammed my casted arm down on the table.

"That's not an option on the table right now, nor will it be in these current conditions. No tours after this and we expected a full album by the end of September. Fair enough?" I laughed again. The boys looking between me and Andy at this point.

"You don't handle our bookings, I do. I will continue to book whatever tour I see best for us." I smirked at him and he chuckled.

"Every tour you book then will have no tour support from us." My smirk didn't falter.

"It's in contract for you to provide tour support to all tours. You will be voiding the contract by doing that. If you think that's how you're going to make it ok that you drop us, this bus has a video camera recording this conversation right now and it will come back to bite you in the ass later if you decide to do that. Choose your battles carefully." He lost it then, his jaw dropped and his eyes widened.

"Sorry Andy, but I don't trust you farther than I can throw you." His mouth immediately shut and he smirked.

"Well all the tours you were on, since we turned them down, are unavailable now. We'll work on getting you on something else..." With that he stood and left.

"We're fucked..." Nikki confirmed to us.

With two weeks left of this tour and the remaining plans gone from the year, I still had my tour plans with Ville.

"They can't actually do this right? We were already on the tours, the posters were ready to be released and everything..." We all looked at Andrew.

"They can, and they did. Fuck" Andrew lashed out and kicked the door to the bunk room before walking through it.

Christian and Mikey stood and left Nikki there to stare at me. I could feel his eyes burning into the side of my face while I thought of any possible way to fix our current situation. The problem was that all of my ideas depended on someone being a guaranteed singer for this band, a topic we had yet to talk about since Jake was still in rehab and I hadn't had the chance to talk to him either.

"You know what this means right?" I looked at Nikki.

"I can't answer that question yet..." He sighed.

"How about this, lay some demos for us. We can decide from there what to do, ok?" I just nodded to answer his request.

"Have you guys been laying stuff down as you're writing or just writing so far?" He made a face while he thought about my question.

"Mix of the two kind of. We record what we can, but everything's in pieces. We could always get it to someone if necessary." I sighed. This was a clusterfuck if I've ever seen one.

"I'll see who I know at these upcoming shows, no promises though..." He nodded once and went to leave.

"Hey Nikki," He stopped and looked at me," Would it work out? Me I mean, would I work better than Jake?" He sat back down.

"Honestly, None of us really knew what was gonna happen when we started. Everything we thought of that could have gone wrong didn't though if that's any consolation." I chuckled.

"Not really answering the question." His mouth formed into a tight line.

"If you join the band, It'll be like hitting restart on our career. We'll go back to opening shows and tours and we will probably have to rebuild the fan base," He sighed as I frowned, "It'll take years for us to get back to the way we are now..."

"Then keep Jake-." He held his hand up.

"I wasn't finished," He interrupeted, " If Jake stays then he is going to have plenty of on going issues and... well we lose you..." I gave him a questioning look.

"From the beginnning you are what made us who we are today Jax. From the music, to the shows, to even touring we wouldn't be where we are without you and if you leave I am 100% convinced that it's all down hill from there." I chuckled.

"Why such faith in me? There's no telling when something will happen that will cause problems. You know what I'm like when I get inside my own head..." He nodded to acknowledge my concerns.

"You're right Jax, but that doesn't make you any less of the person you've become." I smiled at him.

Nikki knew what I wanted to hear but he also knew what we were risking. I wasn't going to play a game with their careers.

"We need to go get ready soon, we play after ADTR..."

LATER THAT NIGHT

To say that Andy's news had hurt the guys was an understatement. Nikki and Mikey were locked in the back room as we speak writing up a furious storm. Christian and I were sitting out back working on some drum technique while James watched and Mark sat besides him editing some video. Andrew had retreated to his bunk.

"Now add in a beat on the a count after the third." Not being trained in any way had forced me to talk in a mixed language when dealing with Christian. He always understood, even if he didn't hit what I was trying to explain to him.

"You missed it again." He groaned and threw a stick, narrowly missing Mark and his computer, followed by a groan.

"Why does it matter?! The band is fucking done anyways!" He dropped the other stick and his practice pad before heading towards the bus.

I sighed and laid my head back against the trailer.

"What are you going to do?" Mark asked.

"Honestly,I have no idea. I can't play cat and mouse with everyone's careers...." Christian was obviously done for the night, so I packed everything up.

"There has to be a way around this, if they stop us from touring they're gonna drop us and we'll lose the advance for the recording and then they'll be dropped..." 'I know' was my only response for James.

"Is there really nothing you can do about it?" I sgihed and stared at both Mark and James.

"Unless we want to pull an ADTR and go solo, no there isn't."

"Jax!"

Nikki was leaning out of the bus door waving his hand frantically for me to come over there.

"I better go see what they need. Can you guys close everything up? we have to leave soon." They gave me an ok and I went to Nikki.

"Yes?"

"Ok so we wrote this," He was waving his hand and talking frantically as I tried to keep up with him," Its VERY different but We want to run with it, so can you please write something to it?" He threw the back lounge door open to reveal Mikey with four laptops, both their guitars, an acoustic, a keyboard, and a microphone sporatically placed about.

"What?" I raised my eyebrows at him.

"No really," he sat at one of the laptops, "listen to just the keys and guitar we wrote for this!" I shushed him because Andrew was sleeping. He still looked at me waiting for an answer.

"Go ahead." I shut the door and sat on the counter.

I was not prepared for what he played just then. This was other worldly. Plus I already had lyrics for this.

"You want me to put stuff to this?" He nodded.

"If it works out," He looked at Mikey who nodded," We want you to stay instead of Jake..." I opened my mouth to protest but he stopped me.

"We know that these next few months are going to change everything, it's time to welcome the changes." He smiled at me and I scoffed.

"Where was this mentality when I wanted to stay in a van and not a bus?" They chuckled.

We were up all night writing for that song alone. To write and produce a song, even just a single, was scary to me. They didn't seem to care.

That was until it was time to play the next day. Mikey, Nikki and I were certainly off our game. I said fuck all and let the kids sing almost everything. Nikki and Mikey turned it into the "How guitarist fix a fuck up" game show. Sure as hell left me guessing as to what was going to happen next.

"Ouch," I looked over at Vinny as I walked off stage," Rough show?" I chuckled.

"Come by the bus after break down and I'll show what I was up all night working on." He gave me a suspicious look.

"It amazing. Just wait."

Sure enough, he was shocked too. I still had ideas for another song, something to balance how dark this song had become.

"Are those your vocals?" I chuckled and nodded.

"Holy shit Jax, this is a number one for sure...." my lips set into a tight line.

"That's the thing," I sat down next to him in the back lounge," We might be going independant soon."

Following that sentence I explained the situation with Andy and how I knew it could be handled.

"Yet, you didn't bring that up to the guys? This is a fucking hit for sure!" I laughed at his confidence.

"I appreciate the faith, but its definitely going to be a long road. If we lose the labels, I go back to booking and I can't get us headliners through this year. Every band we would take on tour is doing something else and we can't afford to take someone out with us." He nodded.

"Well, are you going to record this?" I nodded happily.

"Actually, yeah, we kind of have a favor to ask. We need to do some gang vocals, some any and some girls only. Think you could get the guys on board? We're going to record a bunch tomorrow morning. I called in a favor on a studio and I'll be producing it." He laughed and hugged me.

"I'm sure they're down. We can get some of the other bands involved too." I smiled.

"I got a few merch girls in on it to. So we're gonna do fucking great. I have two other songs I'm working on and I'm revising lyrically for this one." He kissed me after I finished talking.

"It's already amazing."

"Well then it's going to be even better."

That night I brought the pieces of the other two songs to the boys and they fell in love with them. I had never seen three songs come together so fast, even with two nights of no sleep. I had been so stoked on the songs that I forgot I had to present an award with the guys until we were getting the files placed on my computer.

We were all whisked away to the hotel that had been prebooked with a hair and make up artist.

"I'm not fucking wearing that." I looked at the dress fitting of a prostitute, personally picked out by Andy.

"I'm sorry ma'am, that's all the label sent for you." She looked almost scared of me.

"Jax, I understand your concerns. One night please?" I motioned to the piece of fabric hanging in front of me.

"It's a DRESS." I emphasized again.

"Look," Nikki pulled me aside," He's just trying to get under your skin. Rock it, do a twirl for Vinny, and then at the end of the night we can burn it for all I care."

"But the shoes-" His face told me to shut it.

"Gimme the fucking dress." I took the ridiculous garment into the bathroom and dressed myself while the guys finished getting their Black tuxes on. They all wore the same tux with a black button up and no tie. Here I am stuck in this ridiculous dress and six inch stilletos, I would for sure be taller than Vinny now. When I walked out of the dressing room the guys looked stunned.

"You may hate it, but you look gorgeous." I rolled my eyes at Nikki and sat in the artists chair.

"What i your favorite color?" She was so polite, I felt bad for my out burst earlier.

"Orange or Purple." She smiled before starting on her work.

I let her move onto my hair without saying anything. When it was done, even I was amazed at the work she did.She made my face so natural except the striking smokey eye and burnt orange color lip. I really liked it. Combined with the fabulous barely curled hair do, I actually really liked it.

"They sent accessories as well, but I think you don't need them. Your tattoos would be covered and they looked better." I smiled at her.

"Thank you. I'm sorry about earlier-" She waved it off.

"I understand. Your shoes are still under the rolling rack and this is your clutch for the night." The guys stood as she finished talking.

"They aren't getting makeup?" She shook her head.

"Natural for the boys. You guys are running behind though."

We were picked up by our "ride" at that point. We were trying to decide on a ride months ago when we decided that our tour bus was the best way to go. So we had an alternate driver for our one hour drop off and john would be back to pick us up later tonight.

"Are you going to need help down the stairs in those heels?"

"Most likely. Don't be surprised when I'm leaning on you all night too." I stood and carefully made my way to my bunk and found a sports bra and shorts.

"Think I can get these in my clutch?" Nikki chuckled, having followed me into the bunk room to grab his phone.

"You can't make it three hours?" I groaned.

"You mean I'm stuck in this all night?" He chortled again.

"I mean I'm sure Vinny would be happy to help you out of it." He winked at me. The copious amounts of make up couldn't have hid the red that popped up on my cheeks.

"A little color is good for you."

"Here!" We both quickly made our way to the front and lined up. Andrew would be off first, followed by Mikey, Christian, Nikki, and then me. Nikki promised to stick his hand out to help me down the stairs elegantly.

"Ready guys?" I groaned.

"Kill me or get me drunk tonight boys." They cheered as the door was opened.

The second Andrew was off the bus kids started screaming. The guys made it worse by encouraging it. Yet when I stepped off the bus, the boys lost all the attention. The cameras were all on me and the questions directed at "Flyer's new mystery singer."

"Ajax!Ajax!" The cameras each called for my attention.

I was dizzy after just a few moments of dealing with it and we weren't even five feet down the carpet.

"Breathe darling." Nikki grabbed my arm and helped me walk down the carpet. I shook my head a bit and put a smile on my face.

"Can we get a quote for altpress?" I recognized the guy from Warped. He seemed a little off to me but Nikki allowed him to ask his questions.

"Now that Jake has been replaced, are you expecting a little back lash?" Nikki and Christian took over answering the questions while I peered around. Falling in Reverse had arrived just before us and Brendon Urie had shown up right after us. Up ahead on the other side of FIR I saw Mark Hoppus and then Motionless. Vinny caught my eye at that moment and I watched his eyes grow to the size of saucers. Chris tried to move but Vinny was in his way and that's when I had the attention of the whole band. I winked at them before turning back to the interview.

"Jax?" I looked at Nikki.

"yeah?" He motioned to the interviewer.

"I'm sorry can you repeat the question?"

"Are you here to stay?" I frowned a bit.

"I can't answer that right this second. I can tell you that this band is moving in a new direction creatively and any changes made will be necessary. So for anyone that likes this band, I beg you to be open minded. You're not just fans to these guys," I motioned to the four men around me," I've watched every interaction they ever had with anyone that gave them the time of day. They truly care and they want to give you the best they can, I hope you can do the same."

Eloquent as ever. My motto.

We moved down the carpet at that point, which is where I found Vinny waiting.

"Why Ms.Delaney, you look lovely this evening." He took my hand and had me do a spin.

"Cool it mr. polite. She's hot as fuck." I chuckled when Ghost ruined Vinny's nice moment.

"Thanks." I hugged them all.

"So when can we expect to hear the masters of those songs from today?" Ricky asked me.

"I'm setting up the studio in the back again tonight. I'll need a day to get the drums done and another day to put everything together tops. Expect something by the 24th?" Vinny took my arm when I started to wobble. I towered over him currently but that didn't matter.

"It's sick as fuck." Ryan chimed in.

"folks can we have you move along."

"We need to go take our seats anyways."

The night dragged on forever. We got our passes and immediately made sure us and MIW were seated at the same table. That didn't last long when we found out that the good bar was back stage. I was buzzed by the time Jason found me and demanded an interview.

"Please!? Keith and I can interview you." I chuckled.

"I'm just trying to get drunk before I have to go on stage."

"I'll go with you?" Chris offered. That caused the dramatic sigh to come out of my mouth.

"Fineeee" He pulled me inside the little tent.

"Ready?" I gave him a thumbs and took the Mic he handed me.

"Hey guys, it's Jason here again. Keith and I are now joined by Chris of Motionless in White and Ajax of Have Fun Trying to Get This on the Flyer." I chuckled.

"Yeah how about those names. Great to see you guys again. How are you enjoying tonight?" Chris answered first and my mind raced.

"It's just great, I'm about to take the stage in just a bit to present some bands and we've just been hanging out and having a good night all together." They looked at me now.

"Not gonna lie, The bar is where it's at right now." They all laughed.

"Can you hold your liquor, young lady?" I jokingly scoffed at Keith.

"I believe you're the one that lost the fireball contest a few tours ago mister." Jason and Chris 'oohed' when I called him out.

"It doesn't count unless you drink the whole shot." I chuckled.

"Anyways, I know that you guys actually have a new album coming out soon, but what about you?" Jason first motioned to Chris but ended on me.

"Well, we're supposed to be entering the studio at the end of next month, however we might have to put that on hold." My mind turned for a bit while I thought.

"You hear it first though. We will putting out one single before the end of Warped this year." Chris, Jason, and Keith all looked surprised.

"Really?," Keith seemed almost shocked, "Will you be doing vocals on it?"

"You'll have to wait and listen, but I can tell you that it's something this band has never done before regardless of vocals. It's 100% a different direction creative and lyrically." Chris knew what I meant at this time.

"Yeah it's actually pretty amazing. We were listening to it this morning." Jason scoffed.

"You show him but not your best friend?" I laughed.

"If you answered my texts Maybe I would show it to you." Chris and Keith laughed.

"Alright well thanks for joining us in the tent. Let's throw it back to the stage."

When the camera cut, Jason looked at me.

"You wrote a song with them?" I smiled.

"We wrote three and they're amazing. I'll email them to you after I mix them. You're gonna be shocked." He was already shocked.

"I didn't know you wrote at all." I chuckled.

"I was a founding member of the band."

The rest of the night was uneventful. We presented to Slash, which was epic. Then the guys and I were rushed back through the event and put back on the bus, I sent Vinny a good night text before passing out.
♠ ♠ ♠
here's a longer one. Thanks for reading :)