Mon Amour

Babe

Ellie drummed her fingers against the steering wheel of Claude's car, as she waited for the boys to get out of school. She ran her fingers over the leather of the steering wheel shaking her head.
She supposed it was part of being a man, but the need for a huge shiny SUV was silly. Either way he had insisted she take it from now on because he and Danny deemed it "safe."
She spotted all three boys, and hopped out. Their eyes lit up and they hurried toward her, nearly knocking her over.
"Hi loves!" How was was school?"
She got answers, and stories as she buckled them in.
Since her relocation to the Briere home, life was going much smoother. She hadn't heard from Brody, and having a new phone and number helped. He had no clue how to find her out here. Her shifts had changed at work so she was able to take the boys to and from school. She helped immensely with the house and the kids and Danny was forever grateful. Since Sylvie rarely had the boys and was always dropping them off on her designated weekends because she was "busy" they became more and more accustomed to asking Ellie for things they should have been asking their mother for. When Danny and Claude were away for games, Ellie and the boys would curl up together and watch. More than once Danny and Claude had come home from a road trip and found all four of them camped out in sleeping bags, or sound asleep under a fort. It was good that they had a motherly figure in their lives, seeing as the real one couldn't be bothered.
One particular thing that had been smooth was her relationship with Claude. She felt funny about him. More often than not she found herself waking up, wrapped around him, or missing him when he was gone.
I mean sure she missed him, but it was a deep ache that made her downright sad. She craved his presence now, almost as if she needed to be around him..
It weirded her out. At night when he was away, she found herself holding on to pillows, or sleeping anywhere but in his bed. It was too big and too empty without him.
" When do daddy and Claude come home?" Cameron piped up from the backseat.
"Tomorrow." Ellie answered as she pulled into the driveway. The two older boys unbuckled themselves and raced into the garage and through the open door knocking things over in an effort to beat each other to the kitchen. Ellie hopped from the vehicle and moved to unbuckle Cameron.
"Ellie." He said thoughtfully, his big blue eyes lost somewhere in space.
"Hmmmmm?"
"I think Claude should be your boyfriend."
She froze, eyebrows furrowing at the little boy.
"Why do you say that?"
"Because you like him, and he likes you. And if your his girlfriend you can stay with us forever. And I'd like that."
"Well. I'll think about it Cam, okay?" She watched the little boy run after his brothers as she closed the car door and followed, more confused now than ever.
_________________________________
"The boys miss you."
Danny sighed, and ran his fingers through his hair.
"I miss them too. Their behaving for you?"
Ellie laughed "they've been...angels." As she said that he heard a crash, followed by an "I'm ok!" He rolled his eyes.
"No but really their wonderful. Always are for me."
"But of course. They adore you."
"I had an interesting conversation with Cameron this afternoon." Danny perked up. Cameron, being the youngest was the one he was most concerned about with the divorce. He hadn't said much about it, and now that Ellie was around he seemed to have forgotten about it all together.
"He said "I think Claude should be your boyfriend."
Danny's eyebrows shot up in surprise "oh did he?"
"Mhm. Caught me a little off guard." Danny's eyes drifted towards his friend, a few stalls down from him. Danny himself had thought they would great together, but wasn't nearly as honest as his youngest son.
"Well, Cam has a point-"
"Ugh! What is it with you Briere's!" He laughed, which caught Claude's attentioN. Danny mouthed"Ellie" at him and he reached for the phone.
"Ah El. Hang on Claude wants to talk to you."
_________________________________
"Hello Mon Amour." She smiled, a huge smile on the other end.
"Hi! How's the road trip?"
"Eh. I'll be thankful when it's over. How's home?"
"Quiet. We'll all be glad when your home tomorrow."
"Oh you will?"
Ellie bit her lip. Was he flirting with her?
"Of course you dummy. I always miss you when your gone."
" I miss you too babe."
Babe.
Babe.
BABE.
Claude wanted to smack himself the moment the words left his mouth. Had he really just said that?
"Uh well anyways see you tomorrow, here's Danny bye." He chucked the phone back at Danny and hurried back to his stall hands covering his face.
Boy was he an idiot.