Mon Amour

Family

Claude couldn't sleep.

Every time Ellie moved or jolted in her sleep he would sit up. He was so on edge, knowing that whoever had done this to her was still prowling out there. He had resigned himself to resting an arm gently across her waist and running his fingers through her hair. Her breathing was soft and even.

He felt her stir slightly, and she let out a soft breath.

" Claude?" She asked, a hint of panic in her voice.

"I'm here."

She rolled over, slowly wincing and finally rested on her side facing him.

The nurses, who had exclaimed over how pretty she was, and how good Claude was to stay with her the whole time had cleaned her face up, and combed her hair. She looked much better. They had even used a bit of coverup to lessen her bruises, and gave her a bit of makeup to conceal the dark circles under her eyes. Claude had been given a hefty bag of medication and a list of what she could and couldn't do. The doctor had addressed him as " Boyfriend."

" How are you feeling?"

" Sore." She replied, eyes still closed " but I'm okay. Are you alright?"

"I'm just glad your safe now. That's all that matters to me."

Ellie smiled faintly, and let her eyes slide open. Claude stroked her face, fingers gentle on her bruised skin.

"I'm so glad the boys are okay. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't gotten them out of the house."

"I'm glad your okay. "

She chuckled, eyes sparkling.
"You mentioned that."

Claude grinned at her and kissed her forehead.

Ellie turned slightly and reached her hand across the bed and under the mattress. Claude frowned.

"What're you-"

She produced a long rectangular box, and slid it towards him.

"What's this?" He asked, gingerly picking the box up, and turning it over in her hand.

"Open it."

Claude gently tore the paper off and chucked it over his shoulder. The box was matte black, with shiny writing on the front too dark to read. When he pulled the lid off, his blue eyes softened. He pulled the chain from inside, catching the oval pendant in his fingers, eyes reading the words. He looked up at her slowly.

"Merry Christmas Claude."

Then something strange happened. Claude, for the first time in his life had an overwhelming urge to kiss her. Never before had he had any thoughts about it, but after reading her message on the back of the pendant, and the close proximity of her face he couldn't stop himself. He stared at her for a long moment, before he gently placed a hand under her chin. Her green orbs peered up at him, puzzled as his fingers grazed her skin. Claude leaned forward, heart pounding only inches from Ellie's face. She tipped her head up angling her face so that the tip of her nose touched his. He could feel her hot breath on his mouth.

Claude's lips were soft and gentle as they connected with hers, resting very chastely at first, before he moved them.

There was moaning, or tongue or hot and heavy making out like there would be in the movies. But it was instead something beautiful. His hands on her face, her fingers knotting in his hair they tangled together.

When they broke apart, they stared in to each other's eyes for a moment before she smiled.

"I've been waiting for that since I was 6 years old."

Claude laughed and pulled her closer " Was it worth the wait?"

She nodded, her long fingers dancing down his face.

" Merry Christmas Ellie."

_________________________________

The next morning, Ellie was curled on the couch, directly in front of the tree coffee in hand. Claude was next to her, his hair sticking up at all angles, Danny on the floor distributing presents to the boys who were wrapped in blankets and yawning. The broken glass had been cleaned up, the yellow tape gone, and the house had been returned to it's warm cozy feel it had before the break in.

Ellie sank deeper into her blankets and into Claude's side.

They hadn't spoken of the kiss. Instead opted for a few more chaste ones and glued themselves to each other's sides for the rest of the morning. Danny could tell something was up, but didn't comment on it as he watched Claude whisper something in her ear, and two spots of pink appear high on her cheeks. He smiled knowingly at them and shook his head.

Kids.

As predicted Claude tried to argue with her about the clubs.

"Are you crazy how much-?"

"Claude Giroux stop trying to eat Christmas and just say thank you!" She slapped his arm. He pursed his lips before a smile broke through.

Danny loved all his new gear, and the new golf club bag Ellie had gotten him. He exclaimed over the pictures they had gotten framed of him and the boys after many of the games they'd attended. He appreciated Ellie and Claude's joint gift the most however.

"Oh my god I love both of you." He said, eyes glued to the certificate good for 60 free visits to a massage therapist. They laughed.

"Ellie open ours next!"

Many boxes came from them. A pair of earrings from Carson, and a matching necklace from Caelan. She got many scarves, and Flyers gear of course from the boys on the team. A new peacoat from Danny, and tall leather riding boots made from soft black leather from Claude, that fit her feet perfectly of course. She smiled lovingly at all of them.

" I love everything. Thank you." The boys beamed at her delighted with themselves.

" Ah wait. I think there's one more gift we forgot boys."

The boys scrambled from their spots, following Danny and Claude to the hall closet. From it they pulled a huge rectangular box. She frowned.

" What is-?"

But the boys tore the paper off for her, and revealed what was underneath.

It was a huge collage of pictures in one giant frame. Pictures of her and Danny, her and the kids, and the other boys on the team. Her with them trick or treating, Danny and the kids, the kids with the team, and her and Claude. There was several of them after games, her with mike and jeff, Claude and the boys. Everyone. It was her family in frame. She swiped at a few tears that had fallen from her eyes and opened her arms. The boys wriggled into them, arms around her.

"I love it. Thank you."

Everyone finished opening presents before they began the process of showers and dinner. Most of the single guys were coming over, some bringing dates some not. Ellie shuffled around, still sore but feeling better after her shower. Her bruises looked a little better, and with some coverup she could make them just about disappear. She went to work on her face, by the time she was done, Claude had entered the room, looking for a shirt. He turned and saw her staring at herself in the mirror.

" There gone Ellie."
She sighed " I know I know. I just-"

Claude patted the bed next to him, and held out his hand.

" Ellie. The bruises will fade, the bones will mend." He stroked her face, and she rested her head on his shoulder.

" Everyone will be okay. I promise."
_________________________________

The boys began trickling in around 11. Mike and Jeff were the first to arrive, hauling in presents for the boys and of course Booze for Danny, Ellie and Claude and dinner. The rest came, bringing alcohol, food their mothers had sent, and more presents for the kids.

Ellie took a deep breath and exited her and Claude's room, surprised to find him waiting for her. He looked so handsome in his deep red shirt, top two buttons undone, and grey pants. She smiled.

" Ready?" She nodded and watched as he turned towards her, and placed a hand on the base of her neck, pulling her closer and tipping her head up to kiss her softly. It lasted only a few seconds, but it sent a warmth from her lips to the tips of her toes. He grinned and led her from the room by the hand.

The boys all cheered, and swarmed her when she entered the dining room, giving her hugs and kisses on the cheek.

Mike swept her up, and hugged her tightly, giving her a long kiss on the head, before passing her to Jeff who grasped both of her hands in his and asked how she was feeling. Even Dan Carcillo, who wasn't known for his compassion on the ice squeezed her tightly and have her a kiss on the cheek. She felt so much love in one room, and couldn't be more thankful that she had all these wonderful men in her life. She swept at a year that had begun to fall.

" What's wrong?" Claude asked as she wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her head on his chest. She shook her head.

" I'm just happy."

Dinner was filled with laughs, and smiles as it should have been. Ellie felt warm from the company and the wine, and closed her eyes happily soaking in the atmosphere.

She loved her family, and even though she had barely been out of the hospital 24 hours, the memories of the previous day faded and blurred under the love she felt.

Merry Christmas.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks you all SO MUCH for the reviews on the last few chapters! Your all so wonderful❤️ Here's another one that I hope you enjoy! Xoxo