Vessel

Chapter 1

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick.
The clock on the wall ticked away, the seconds mockingly getting slower, louder and more unbearable with every new tick emitting from the round mechanical decoration. The black numbers burned against the white interior within the copper-colored frame, disrupting the cool background with their sharp and bold edges.

He shifted in his seat, leaning back against the too heavily stuffed backrest of the dark blue sofa.
‘Time, man’s worst enemy’ he thought to himself as he watched as another lap around the circular machinery had passed.
He sighed quietly and dug his hand down his pocket; fishing up his black cell-phone and opening his text-messages. Composing a new text to Aaron; he quickly jotted down “You’re so gonna pay for this”
Aaron replied about half a minute later, saying: “It’s for your own good, bro. It can’t get any worse”
Huffing at his friend’s reply; he shifted yet again and glanced back at the round clock. He’d been stuck in the waiting room for 15 minutes. 15 minutes of complete silence, save from that obnoxious ticking that never seemed to end. 15 minutes he could have spent in his car, driving back to Aaron’s to kick his ass for getting him to agree to this.

The sharp sound of heels click-clacking against the off-white floor behind him brought him back from his musings. He tilted his head a bit, seeing the back of a woman hurrying down the hallway while the footsteps slowly died down.

“Dr.Watson is ready to see you now,” A soft voice spoke up from the other corner of the room. He turned his head towards the sound and laid his eyes on a slightly short female with chestnut-brown hair tied up in a bun at the back of her head. “Sorry to keep you waiting. This way, please,” She added in a meek voice while her brown eyes studied her feet. A light shade of pink clad her cheeks and he inwardly groaned at her weak attempt of hiding her embarrassment.

Standing from his previously relaxed position on the sofa, he shoved his cell-phone down his pocket and took two long strides toward the nurse. She took a small step backward, an obvious attempt of putting some space in between them, and turned on her heel.

“This way, please” She said again and offered him a quick smile.

Zak obliged and fell into step right behind her, happy to finally get away from the awful clock in the waiting room.

The hallway was brightly lit. The walls were covered in an eggshell colored wallpaper with a thick blue line stretching from one corner of the corridor to the other in a wave-like pattern. Doors were lined systematically along the corridor. Some had a red little lamp lit next to the name-tag, signaling that the person on the other side of the door was busy with a patient. The smell of freshly brewed coffee reached his nostrils as they passed an open door to what seemed to be the staff-room. He quickly glanced into the room and was met with a smile and nod from an elderly lady sipping her coffee before he steered his attention back to the girl as she suddenly rounded a corner, nearly crashing into another nurse whose attention was elsewhere.

“I’m sorry,” The younger of the two apologized, her eyes shifting downward yet again.

The elder gave no reply as she hugged a file of papers close to her chest and hurriedly continued into what seemed to be her office.

The younger nurse stopped in front of a half-open door and gave a quick rap with her knuckles against it. “Dr. Watson,” she called out as she gently pushed the door open. “Mr. Bagans is here to see you,”

“Send him in,” A voice called from the dark room and the nurse took a step back, nodded towards Zak and hurried away after that.

Zak took a step toward the door and was just about to reach for the handle when the door suddenly swung open completely, revealing a woman in her mid thirties standing about a foot from him.

“I am so sorry to have kept you waiting. Traffic was terrible,” She blurted out and stepped aside to allow him to enter fully. “Please, take a seat. Zak, was it?” She continued as she closed the door and flipped a switch which turned the red light on, on the other side of the door.

Shuffling toward her desk, she quickly grabbed a notebook and a pen before turning to face him. “Where are my manners?” She scolded herself and stretched her right arm out to shake his. “Dr. Watson, hi,” She flashed him a smile and motioned for him to sit again. She sat down in the one unoccupied dark blue armchair across the small table from Zak’s identical one and lifted one hand to pat at the top of her head and brought the pair of glasses resting there back down to rest against her nose.

“So, Zak. I understood you’re here of your own free will.” She stated as she scribbled a few words onto the the empty page of her notebook. “Are you okay with me taking notes?”

She lifted her gaze for a second. Her hazel eyes meeting his for the first time, searching and observing his blue ones for any hint of emotion.

“Yes.”

“What brings you here?” She asked as she wrote a couple of more words onto the open page without breaking eye-contact with the dark-haired man.

He shifted in his seat, his eyes wavering for a second as he quickly glanced to his right. His right foot rested slightly over his left knee and his left hand picked at a few white short strands of fur that had stuck to his black pants. Lightly scratching his chin, he turned his attention back towards the doctor.

“Do you believe in ghosts?” He challenged. “Do you believe in life after death?”

He watched her intently, watched as she stilled her pen and lowered her notebook. Her eyes met his again and she blinked once - twice before giving him a small smile.

“No.”

“Do you believe there’s a parallel world next to ours? A different dimension that we can sometime peek into?” He asked, his eyes never leaving hers.

She seemed to be contemplating on how to formulate her reply. By the way he had phrased his questions; it was rather obvious to her that he honestly believed in the supernatural, which she on the other hand, did not. “I believe our minds can trick us into believing there is a different world inside of the one we live in,” she said slowly. “I also believe that in itself is a defense mechanism we put up in order to shield ourselves from harm.”

He leaned back in his seat at that and folded his hands in his lap, quietly watching her and waiting for her to deliberate. Strands of her light-brown hair spilled over her shoulder and she gently tucked some of it behind her ear.

“Is death something you fear or look forward to?” She asked.

Zak glanced her over, a small smile tugging at the corner of his lips. “Neither,” he stated. “I simply want to gather as much information as possible about the subject and prove to those in denial that there is a whole new world for us to accept and explore.” His cell-phone started ringing after that. Fishing his phone up of his pocket yet again, he glanced at the caller id for a second before ignoring the call and turning the sound off. “Sorry.”

She nodded and pushed her glasses further up her nose as she scribbled a couple of words on her page again. “And why is that of such importance to you?”

He glanced at the wall behind her for a few seconds, carefully choosing his words. “From my experience of working with the paranormal I have come to learn that people will always have questions about life after death. If I can give them the answers they seek from a scientific point of view then perhaps I can help people find peace in their lives.”

“Do you feel peace in your life?”

His eyes locked with hers and he frowned. “No.”

“Do you know how you could find peace in your life?” She asked.

“I don’t think I ever will.” He answered truthfully and watched as she wrote a couple of more words onto the sheet of paper she’d been writing notes on during their half-hour of talking.

“And why is that?” She asked while glancing down at her notes. The pen she held swirled across the lined page in a rhythmic manner as the blue ink stained the sheet with words.

Zak remained quiet as she wrote, peeking around the room and trying to gather his thoughts. The office he was in was darkly lit. One of the two strip lights in her lamp seemed to be broken as it flickered on an off a couple of times before dying completely. Her desk was filled with papers, books, another pair of glasses and a computer, which currently worked as another light-source.

Oh how he’d love to feel peace. He’d love to be able to live a normal life in the way of not having to be tormented by these sinister energies which seemed to seek him out like flies to a lamp on a dark night. He’d been warned countless times that the road he was currently heading down would not lead to a happy place. He’d serve as the guide of thousands of people but also serve as a gateway for spirits; offering them a chance and opportunity to get their voices heard. He’d been naive when diving head first into his choice of career. He’d been reckless and too driven of wanting to know more that he completely failed to notice the warning headlines.

“Zak?”

Snapping out of his thoughts he found Dr. Watson waving a hand in front of his face, a look of worry evident on her features.

“Are you okay?” She asked, her voice full of concern as she gave him a quick once-over. The light from the computer-screen in the corner of her office cast her face in a light blue hue, almost making her look ethereal.

“What?” He questioned and shifted in his seat. The phone in his pocket started vibrating and he swore he’d kill Aaron the next time he ran into him.

“Why will you not find peace?” She asked again and locked her eyes with his.

Letting out a puff of air he didn’t know he’d been holding he answered her in a monotone voice. “Because death is never-ending.”

Neither said a word. The soft buzzing from the computer was the only sound resonating throughout the room. He glanced at the clock hanging above the light-gray door. 11:45 it read. He was sure they’d end today’s session in a couple of minutes. Shifting his eyes toward the doctor, he noticed she seemed lost in thought as she stared at a spot somewhere behind him. She was pretty, he noted. Long dark lashes framed her almond shaped eyes. Her nose was small and slender, the tip protruding above her full lips. High cheekbones shaped her face into one of a model’s. Her hair was a light brown shade, reaching slightly below her shoulders and curling inward toward the upper part of her chest.

“I think we should end it here,” She suddenly spoke.

Raising his head a bit, he licked his lips and nodded once.

“Can you come back next Tuesday at 2pm?” She asked and flipped through a couple of pages in her journal.

“I must have missed her going to retrieve it,” he thought. Fishing his phone out of his pocket a third time, he checked his calendar to make sure he didn’t have any other plans that day. “Tuesday is fine,” He stated and made a quick note as to not forget about the appointment. Checking his call-list while still having his phone in his hand, he noticed Aaron had indeed called him earlier which made him wonder if something had happen. “See you next week,” He added and got up from his seat, and seeing her do the same from the corner of his eye, he shot her a quick glance and offered a smile.

She walked him to her door and switched the red lamp off. “Have a nice day,”

“You too,” he mumbled and left.

While walking through the brightly lit corridor a second time that day, he kept his phone against his ear as he waited for Aaron to pick up on the other end. After making a turn and passing the staff-room, Aaron finally picked up. “Sup dude?”

“Why you keep callin’ me, man?” Zak questioned and made his way through the empty waiting room before exiting through a locked door which led to the reception and two bathrooms.

“I was bored and Nick’s sleeping,” Aaron replied.

“And it never occurred to you that I might be busy?” Finally exiting the building, he took a deep breath, filling his lungs with the crisp September air and started making his way to where his car was parked.

Ignoring his annoyed friend, Aaron steered their conversation onto their latest investigation. “I think I found some new evidence. I mean, it could be one of our shadows, but I don’t know. I just think you should see it,”

Sighing a bit, Zak nodded and unlocked his car, “I’ll be there in a few,”

“Oh, could you stop by at Starbucks?” Aaron asked and did his best to contain his laughter. He knew he was pushing Zak’s buttons and that he’d blow up any second.

“No,”

“Aw, come on, dude.”

“I’m hanging up now. Bye.” Zak threw his phone onto the passenger seat and sighed again. Pinching the bridge of his nose, he could literary feel the voices in his head ganging up on him; the tension getting thicker, leaving him with another one of his killer headaches. He needed to sleep. He needed some time off.

Setting his car in reverse he finally made his way towards Aaron’s. Whatever he had found better be good.

Dr. Watson sat at her desk, her elbows resting against the cool wood as she rested her chin onto the back of her palms. The document she had created in Zak’s patient-register was still empty, save from his contact information he’d left with the receptionist, and she sighed quietly before standing and making her way out to the staff-room to get some coffee. She still had a couple of minutes before her next appointment would show up and even if the day was still young, one could never have enough of that dark and spicy liquid.

Shuffling toward the counter, she opened one of the pastel-yellow cabinet-doors and reached for her mug.

“Hey,” A voice spoke up from behind her, nearly causing her to drop the porcelain cup. Quickly turning around, she came face to face with Lisa, one of the newer nurses of the clinic.

“God damn it, Lisa! Don’t do that!” She wailed. “I’m seriously gonna get a heart-attack if you keep this up. Gawsh!” Stomping over to where the newly brewed coffee was, she started pouring coffee into her mug and heard Lisa talk again.

“I heard you got that ghost hunter. He’s hot,”

“What?” Dr. Watson asked and sat down on the brown leather couch.

“That Zak guy,” Lisa answered, “Anna told me you were the lucky one to get him.”

Sipping her coffee, she lowered her eyes for a second, “Oh, right.”

Sitting down next to the Doctor, Lisa eyed her curiously. “How was he? What did he say?”

One thin eyebrow rose on Dr. Watson’s forehead as she watched her colleague suspiciously. “You know I can not talk about my patients, Lisa.”

“Aw, come on! He’s a public figure. He’s on TV for Christ sake!”

“That doesn’t change anything,”

“Why aren’t you swooning over him?” Lisa questioned. “He’s like the hottest guy on the planet. The only reason I even watch his show is because of him.”

“Well okay then.”

“Wait,” Lisa started, “Have you even seen his show?” Her voice turned questioningly.

Feeling the younger nurse leaning closer toward her, Dr. Watson leaned back a bit to put some distance between them and sipper her coffee again.

“Oh my God, you haven’t!”

“Unlike you, I don’t have time to sit and watch TV all day,” Dr. Watson snapped, her patience wearing thin.

“Geez, what climbed up your ass and died?” Lisa grumbled and shot the doctor a disgusted look. “Is the rest of his crew here for therapy as well or…?”

“Crew?”

“Damn it, woman! You need to get a life!” Lisa exasperated. “When celebrities see therapists you know you need to keep your eyes and ears open. Now is when the juicy stuff comes out,”

“That’s enough!” Dr. Watson warned. “I don’t care about his background or choice in career. I don’t care if he, nor any other of my patients are somewhat of a celebrity. My job is to listen and give them insight into their lives. My job here is to help.” Setting her cup down onto the table, she continued, “Why am I eve defending my position to you?”

Raising her hands in defeat, Lisa stood up and sent the doctor a look of pity. “Geez, no need to take shit so seriously,” and with that she hurried toward the door. “And for the record, I know what position I’d want to be in the next time he comes around,” And with a wink, she left.

Ignoring the taunts of her younger colleague, Dr. Watson let her gaze slide to the digital clock on the microwave resting on the counter. It was time for her next appointment, so she finished her coffee, left the empty mug in the sink and went back to her office.

Zak pulled up to the driveway of Aaron’s apartment complex a couple of minutes later. Whatever Aaron had found, it better be valid proof of what they were hunting. Capturing evidence had been rather slow these past couple of weeks, and Zak knew it was partly because of his current condition. He wasn’t himself. Hell, he hadn’t been himself in weeks. He’d been losing sleep, hadn’t eaten regularly, he had screwed up their past two investigations by completely losing it. He was border-lining insanity and had no clue of how, why or when it had happened. All he really knew for certain was that he needed help and that’s where Aaron had more or less forced him to seek out a psychiatrist.

Opening the car door he stepped out into the cool September morning and started making his way toward the entrance of the large white building. Glancing at his reflection in the windows he passed by, he shuddered slightly at the person staring back at him; his face distorted and with dark bags underneath his eyes.

Pushing the door open, he stepped into the lobby and walked toward the elevator. The elevator gave off a ding as its doors slid open, granting the paranormal investigator access. They closed soundlessly behind him and the ride up to Aaron’s apartment went by quickly. Dinging again, the metal doors slid open a second time and Zak walked out into the darkly lit corridor and headed to his right. He knocked twice on the wooden door leading to Aaron’s apartment and took a deep breath before letting himself in.