Love Bruises

Quads

Unfortunately for Castiel, it’s not until his third year of college that things seem to get better. From the day he settles back into the dorms, he feels lighter. Better. He attributes it, mostly, to his new status as a resident assistant and having his own room for the very first time in his life.

His second day back on campus, new students move in. He gathers with the other RAs in the common hall to help usher them in. Because of his known physical strength and commitment to staying physically active, he’s relegated as 'muscle' and helps families carry boxes and push dollies through the hall. At around noon, he meets the Winchesters.

The Winchesters, Sam and Dean, are not twins, which is Cas’ first thought. Dean, the shorter one with cropped, dark blond hair, is the oldest. He starts at GeorgeU as a junior, having completed two years at a community college. His ‘little’ brother Sam, who’s bigger than an 18 year old has any right to be, is just a starting freshman. Still, the two opted to room together, which is something beyond Castiel’s understanding. He would never, not in a million years, choose to room with any of his siblings, not after a lifetime of sharing space with Gabriel. Perhaps, he thinks, not all people are as determined to flee the nest as he was.

The brothers are arranged to board in Castiel’s quadrant and so he moves to make them situated. He hands them each a room key, a student parking pass for Dean, and their awaiting IDs. Then he escorts them to their rooms.

He gives all the new residents a day to settle before holding their first quad meeting. There are 22 coeds, 24 if he includes himself and Meg, the other RA for their section, and 14 rooms in all. He listens as Meg says the important stuff - mens’ washroom is on the west end, women’s on the east, quiet hours start after 10 PM and run to 8 AM on weekdays, clean up after yourselves, don’t smoke in your room, this is a ‘dry’ campus, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

He watches the group of scraggly students - mostly bright-eyed, bushy tailed freshman - but he can’t help but keep looking back to the Winchesters, who are both obviously happy to be here but neither bright eyed nor bushy tailed. The two make a point to stick together. They keep a low profile - hanging back against the wall - and make no effort to blend in with the other students. Instead, they huddle close and make subtle, expressive eye contact with each other. When Sam notices Castiel staring, he elbows Dean in the ribs and Cas is met with his unrelenting glare. He quickly diverts his attention, cheeks burning, and tries to keep his focus on Meg.