Love Bruises

Jests

Over the next month, Castiel tries to get to know all the residents that fall under his authority. He finds that Anna, an only child from Ohio, is really into scented wax melts. You know you're near her room, when you’re hit by the sweetest berry scents. Her roommate, Ruby from Wyoming, makes a point to constantly complain about the smell - calling it suffocating and irritating to her sinuses - but they eventually come to an agreement that involves open windows and lavender.

The boys who currently live across from Cas, Manny and Baz, decided to forego a micro-fridge and instead keep loaded coolers under their bed. They’re good for an errant Sunkist and Baz has a sweet tooth that keeps him fully stocked in Snickers and awake at all hours of the night.

Garth - who was listed as Ella, but don’t you dare call him that! - and his roommate Abbie had a rough start, but Garth is charming (in a hapless sort of way) and Abbie loves a good fight so between hotbox sessions (something Cas ignores as long as it’s not done in their dorm room) and advanced chemistry, the two head the university's Queer Clique in conjuncture with (they say, though Cas thinks it’s mostly in opposition to) the school's existing Gay/Straight Alliance.

All in all, this year’s residents are an eclectic but decent mixture of students who are generally friendly, if not a bit odd. And yet, neither Meg nor Cas can crack the protective shield that hovers around the Winchesters.

Outside the dorm, Cas knows Sam ventures out. He’s seen him in the library surrounded by smiling friends and in the hallways entranced by his favorite professors. He’s a natural student and pelts forward into education with stunning vigor. He jests with Ruby - resting his elbow on top of her head to exaggerate his massive size. He regards Garth's extensive reservoir of knowledge with awe. He even finds commonality with Meg in their mutual understanding and appreciation of ancient languages, like Latin. He adapts easily into college life and it shows.

Dean, on the other hand, is somewhat of a recluse. Outside of classes, he’s hard to find. Castiel thinks he shares his free time between the engineers' lab and his dorm, and he’s seen him devour his share of food in the Caf. Usually he sits on the outskirts of whatever friends Sam has surrounded himself with, shoveling food in his mouth and pressing his nose into tough-guy novels. He spends most weekends locked up in his room, only escaping to the bathroom or for sustenance, yet regardless of his mole status, people seem to flock to him and Cas is sure he excels in his classes.

On the rare occasions that Cas bumps into him, they only share gruff small talk before parting. Sometimes Cas wonders if Dean’s personally affronted by him. Though he quickly let's that go, decides that it's just in his mind.