Cents and Kents

Chapter 5

The next day at school I was looking for Dia and Fili, I saw them at the front steps of the school.
"Dia! Fili!" I said. By now I had processed everything and I was excited about it.
"What happened?" Dia asked.
"He's... My..." I said, building up anticipation, "twin!"
"What?!" they both exclaimed, shocked.
"It's awesome! Not only am I not an only child, I'm a twin!"
"You really came to terms with it, at the library you looked terrified that you two might be related, much less twins." Dia said.
"Well you're bound to be shocked at first when you find out you have a long lost brother."
"Makes sense." Fili said.
"Hey, sis!" I turned around to see Éxy.
"Bro!" we hugged again, we seemed to be doing that a lot lately.
"You know, now that I think about it, you two actually look really similar. Even if you are fraternal, you still share the same heredity." Dia said.
"Yeah, I see it too." Fili said.
"I just thought of something, now we're going to have shared birthdays! I've always wanted to share my birthday with someone!"
"That's awesome!"
"Ooh, I can also see a cent's face without getting a crush!" I jokingly stared at him.
"We'd better get to English." Fili said.
"I forgot about English! I can't wait to tell our teacher Éxy and I are twins!" I said.
"Let's go!" Éxy said. We both trotted to English class.
"Hi, Ms. Dáskalos!" I said.
"Hi, Agápe! Hi to you too Éxy! How has your week been?"
"Oh, pretty uneventful. We picked some pecans, found out we were twins, I did pretty well on a biology quiz..." I said.
"Wait, what was the second thing?"
"We found out we're twins!" Éxy and I said in unison.
"That's amazing! I didn't even know you two were related!"
"We didn't know either, we just found out yesterday." Éxy said.
"You did seem like you acted a lot like each other, but I never thought you'd be twins! Oh, it's time for class now. Again, amazing news!"
I could barely focus in class, I was so excited about having a twin. I still got an A on the quiz though. We walked through the hallway and Éxy saw his group of friends.
"I forgot to tell them! Come on, Agápe! I want you to meet them." he said.
"Okay!" I said.
"Hey, I heard someone found out he had a twin sister yesterday. I think his name was... Me!" he said. They were all shocked and started congratulating us. Then I realized that I had to make sure I wouldn't look at any of them.
"Why isn't she looking at us?" one of them said.
"My name is Agápe." I said.
"Ohh." the same cent said.
"So what you're saying is if you look at one of us in the eyes then you'll have a crush on us?" another one said.
"For the rest of the day." I responded. I felt him jerk my chin and found myself looking at his eyes.
"What's wrong with you?!" Éxy yelled.
"It's fine, Éxy. I have to get one every day anyway." I found myself thinking about the cent and my heart began to beat faster since I was still standing near him.
"Yeah but it should be an accident, not someone taking advantage of your name!"
"Calm down, I was just joking." the cent said. My heart beat even faster when I heard him speak again.
"Well then don't joke anymore! Let's go find Dia and Fili."
"Going to go shopping with your girlfriends?" the same cent said.
"They're great people and I'd much rather be friends with them than you!" Éxy said, then he suddenly punched the cent, "Let's go, Agápe."
"She and you really are twins! You both just hit your problems and run!"
We both trotted through the school to find Dia and Fili.
"Looks like we have something else in common. We both hit pretty well." Éxy said, we both laughed. We found Dia and Fili after about a minute.
"Hey guys, where have you been?" Fili asked. We probably should've been angry at that cent, but we were still giddy from being twins. We burst out laughing.
"What's so funny? What happened?" Dia asked.
"This one cent in my group of friends forced Agápe to look at him, so I punched him." Éxy said, still smiling.
"Wait, why is that funny?" Fili asked.
"I'm not sure, we're just so excited about being twins!" I said.
"Clearly, I'm not going to keep being friends with him so we won't have to deal with him again. Might as well laugh about it!"
"I will never understand long lost twins." Dia said.
"I don't even understand us." I said.
The rest of the school day mostly consisted of us telling everyone we could find that we were twins, it never got old. Éxy and I walked together towards our houses.
"Hey, do you want to come with me to my house? My parents would love to meet you."
"Okay!" I turned in the direction to his house instead of the way to mine.
"Okay, we're here." he said as we walked up to the door.
"We're here!" Éxy said.
"We? Did they know I was coming?" I asked.
"I knew you'd say yes, I figured I might as well prepare them."
"Éxy, Agápe. Could you come in the kitchen?" I heard his mother say.
"This is Agápe." Éxy said.
"I always wanted to meet you, I wasn't sure when I would. But Éxy's father and I wanted to discuss something with you." she said.
"Okay, what is it?" I asked.
"What is this about? You didn't tell me about this." Éxy said.
"We had a talk with your real parents and they said they can support you financially now. It's painful for us, but we think you'd be happier living with your real family." Éxy's father said.
"It's your decision if you want to stay, but it's fine if you want to live with your birth parents and your sister." his mother said.
"I don't know. I've lived with you all my life, I'm not sure if I could imagine leaving. But at the same time, I would love live with Agápe and my parents." Éxy said.
"We don't expect you to decide right away, and if you make a decision and change your mind then you're always welcome to stay." his father said.
"I have to think about this." Éxy said as he went to his bedroom.
"I think I should go." I said.
"It was nice to meet you." Éxy's father said.
"You too." I said as I smiled and left.
I knew it was hard for Éxy to consider leaving his home, but there was a part of me that was hoping he'd choose to live with us. I imagined us hanging out all day after school and I got anxious to know what he was going to decide. I thought about it so much I didn't even realize I was already at my house. My parents were at the table looking me expectantly.
"He's still deciding." I said.
"It makes sense. Even if we are his birth parents, he has lived with them all his life." my mother said.
"Yeah, it isn't really something you can just decide in a few minutes." I said. We heard a knock at the door and I rushed to answer it.
"I'm going to stay here." Éxy said. We all hugged for the third time in the past two days.
"I'm so happy, but what about your adoption parents?" our mother said.
"I'll visit them on the weekends, I'm not completely leaving them. But I just wanted to stay here with all of you."
"Wait, we only have one bedroom. Does that mean..." I said excitedly.
"Yep, you'll share a room!"
"Eeee!" I exclaimed.
"Let's set my room up!" Éxy said. We ran to my -our- room.
We started setting everything up and started chatting.
"Since we're twins, it finally makes sense why I love learning so much. Have you ever felt like you were particularly... Loving?" I wasn't sure how to phrase it.
"I always did feel like I wanted love more than most people, I used to think everyone did but they just want kentfriends and centfriends." Éxy said.
"That's one difference between us. You want love but don't have it, I have it but don't want it." I said.
"You've never wanted it?"
"I can't want something I get every day."
"Yeah but love is more than crushes, I think. What you have is a one-sided longing to be with whoever you see. Love is two-sided and you get what you longed for."
"Deep."
"Sometimes I don't even realize I'm being deep. I just am."
"Ha. That's what happens when you're my twin. You get deep when it comes to love." I said.
"Do you?"
"I feel like I could, I just choose not to."
"Why not?"
"I don't know. It just isn't my thing."
"Your name is Agápe, if it's anyone's thing, it's your's."
"I suppose it's because most high school cents are like the one you punched, everything's just a joke to them. If I found someone like you, who I'm not related to, then I'd try it. But there's just no one like that at school."
"Someone like me?"
"You know what I mean. Someone who gets me and feels like he's allowed to have feelings. Everyone else is just too 'manly' to care about someone."
"I'm sure there's someone like that, you just haven't met them. You thought no one was like that before you met me, now you know it's at least possible."
"That's true. At least I don't have to rush, I have the rest of high school to think about dating."
"Yeah, you have a lot more to think about right now. Like the fact you have a twin brother."
"I'm really glad you decided to stay here by the way. I was hoping you'd choose to live here."
"I think I made the right choice. This is my real family, plus I get to live with you."
"That's a pretty awesome part of it."
"Heh, yeah. Looks like everything's unpacked."
"It's official now."