The Thirteenth Month

No Idea

After the story ended I sat around a fire alone. I could hear the bustling of others a few yards away, but my vision had been drawn straight to the flame. I gave no concern about anything else.
What had I done? I wondered. What law had a broken that caused for me to be sent out here along with other criminals.
I realized I shouldn't have thought of the others with such disdain.. I am out here too, I am a criminal too.
Distracted by my own thoughts it wasn't until she spoke that I noticed the women from earlier had sat down next to me.
"Do you remember your name?" She asked.
I shook my head.
"Your home?"
Again, no.
"Your family? Your reason for being here?" She looked at me. "Anything..?"
I shook my head but then found the words to say.
"I remember.. a family. I ..remember a story about.. going to the Grand .. Canyon one year when.. I was small.. I remember I.. had a sister.. asides that? I remember.. very little.."
For a moment I thought she wasn't going to respond, and that was fine with me.
"Do you remember how long you were in the darkness?"
This caught me off guard and I don't know why.. but it did.
"I think for.. twelve of thirteen.. months.. how.. long were.. you?"
I turned to look at her, and I saw how her eyes had widened.
"One." She said.
I guess confusion had shown on my face because she then said:
"Everyone else here ranges from two weeks to three months.. I've never heard of anyone staying for longer then six."
A pause.
"What did you do?"
I shook my head. "I have no idea."