Status: Might do a second part. Don't know yet.

Nothing's Making Sense at All

1

Opening his eyes to the familiar gleams of the early morning sun, Alex decides that, 'Yeah, this is heaven.' He snuggles closer to his boyfriend and relishes in the warmth that spreads through his veins when Jack's grip tightens. In previous relationships Alex had always been the big spoon, but now it's different. Alex loves how safe Jack makes him feel when he wraps his muscular arms around him.

Jack's still asleep; Alex can tell by the gentle snores that act as a breeze to his hair, making it tickle his ear slightly. Alex wants to squirm out of the way because it feels funny. But he stays still so he won't disturb his sleeping beau. So instead he moves his head around a little and turns to the ceiling. Out of the corner of his eye he can see Jack's mop of messy, dark hair and that makes him smile.

Said man then lets out a little groan and nuzzles his forehead into Alex's shoulder; telling Alex he's waking up. He feels the younger man press his lips to his back. Alex smiles at the ceiling before turning over in Jack's grasp to face the other man. Jack smiles lazily at Alex and rubs his back.

"Morning baby," he says sleepily, running his fingers through Alex's hair.

"Morning Jack," Alex says back, running his hand over his lover's side.

"I love you," Jack says, leaning forward to kiss Alex on the forehead.

Alex sighs happily, "I love you too, so much. Happy Valentine's Day."

"Happy Valentine's day," Jack returns the sentiment, "We should get up. I have to go back to my place before work tonight."

Alex frowns, "I wish you didn't have to work today. I'd love to spend the day with you."

Jack sighs, "I know baby. But we're still on for tomorrow, right?"

Alex nods. Tomorrow the couple of two and a half years will celebrate their third Valentine's Day. Alex plans to ask Jack to move in with him then. It's obvious to Alex that he'll be with Jack for a very long time. So, he figures it's the right time to take the next step. If Alex is being completely honest, he doesn't mind waking up in the morning as long as he's in bed next to the other.

Jack rolls away from the middle of the bed where he was curled up with Alex, to the edge. He sits up and stretches his arms above his head. Alex smiles lovingly as Jack slips one of Alex's shirts over his head. It always makes Alex extremely happy to see him wearing his clothes.

When Jack turns around and sees Alex, he sighs heavily, "Let me make you breakfast before I go, I'm sure I have time."

~

"Do you really have to go in today?" Alex asks sadly. He really only wants his boyfriend to stay with him today, and well every day. But Alex knows that's not practical.

"Alex I'm sorry," Jack says, biting his lip, "You know Valentine's Day is the busiest day of the year of us. If it was any other day I'd call in sick."

Alex shrugs, "I know, I know."

Alex knows by now that as a florist, Jack always has to work on Valentine's Day. He should be used to it by now; it's there third as a couple after all. But Alex is a hopeless romantic and even though he has a boyfriend, he'll spend another Valentine's day alone watching chick flicks.

"I'll tell you what," Jack says, caressing Alex's cheek, "If it's not too late when I get off, I'll stop by tonight."

That has Alex smiling again, "I'll save you some dinner."

Jack smiles back at Alex and leans in to kiss him gently. Alex kisses back as his heart rate increases the same way it always does. He can taste the maple syrup still on Jack's lips and tongue. The younger man cups Alex's cheek with one hand and holds his neck with the other. Alex loves when Jack touches his face; it makes him feel secure and cared for.

"I love you Alex," Jack whispers after their lips part. Alex can hear the remorse in his boyfriends voice, like he truly wants to stay with Alex, "But I really have to go."

"I love you too Jack," Alex whispers back, "I'll see you tonight."

Jack smiles at Alex again before turning and leaving the apartment. As the door closes, Alex sighs; he understands why Jack has to go, he really does. He just really wants to spend more time with the younger. He wants to spend as much time as possible with the love of his life.

Alex decides it wouldn't be a horrible idea to spend the next few hours being productive and working around the house. But first off, he takes a shower. The one he shared with Jack last night wasn't exactly for cleanliness. Alex feels his muscles relaxing as the steamy water flows down his body. He'll probably admit to wishing he could spend his whole life in the shower; he just likes them that much.

After his shower, Alex decides cleaning up the kitchen would be a good idea, considering Jack's kind of messy when he cooks. Not that Alex is complaining though; if someone's going to cook for him, they can mess up his kitchen as much as they please.

As Alex was finishing up the dishes, his phone starts to ring. He sighs as he looks at the caller ID; it's his boss. What could he possibly want on Alex's only day off this week?

"Hello?" Alex says, answering the phone.

"Good morning Alex," Says Matthew Flyzik from the other line, "Do you want to do me a huge favor?"

Alex sighs, "Well, it depends on what you want."

To most people, the way Alex talks to his boss may seem casual and rude. But what they don't know is that Alex and Flyzik have been friends since Middle School. Back when they were juniors in high school, Flyzik begged his parents to give Alex a job at their restaurant, after he kind of caused Alex to wreck his car. No one was hurt in the crash, well, except for the car. And since Flyzik couldn't afford to have it fixed, he could at least give Alex the means to make the money.

"Vic and Kellin both called in sick. Those fuckers," Flyzik says, sounding really irritated, "So we're really under staffed for the dinner shift. Can you please come in?"

Alex chuckled, of course they called in sick; they're probably too busy fucking each other's brains out to think about work. Alex doesn't say that though, he thinks that might be crossing a line.

Instead, he says, "Sure thing man, not like I have plans anyways. Can't you fire them if they're not really sick?"

"Well, I could," Flyzik says, obviously contemplating, "But I have no proof they aren't, not to mention we'd need to rehire right away and that's a pain in the ass. Why don't you have plans tonight? What about Jack?"

Alex sighs, "He's off making other people's day by delivering flowers. It kinda sucks, but I'm used to him working holidays."

Matt hums in acknowledgment, "I'm sorry man. But hey, I gotta go. But I'll see you at 5 right?"

"Sure thing Matty. Laters."

"Bye Alex."

Alex sighs and sits his phone down. So much for throwing himself a pity party. He decides it's probably a better idea to not wallow in self-pity when he doesn't have it that bad at all. He's acting like a clingy girlfriend and he knows it. So yeah, working today isn't a terrible idea.

~

"Alex can you go take table 5's order? I'm about to go clock out," one of Alex's coworkers asks as soon as he walks in.

"Sure thing Paul," Alex says, heading over in that general direction.

It's not that Alex hates being a waiter; it was great when he was in college and needed a way to pay for books and stuff. But now that he's been out of college for 8 months, it's getting kind of repetitive. He's stuck in a job that's pretty much dead end-unless you're Flyzik and own the place-instead of using his degree. Alex's starting to learn that the only thing you can do with an English degree is teach. And really, who wants to do that? Not Alex, that's for sure.

Alex takes table 5's order to the kitchen and gives it to Martin, one of the chef assistants. Martin comments on Alex working tonight before launching into some story about seeing his ex Zack walk in with someone else. Alex sighs and only half listens. It's not that Alex doesn't like Martin; his friendship with the other boy is strictly workplace oriented though. Alex doesn't really care about his relationship, or lack of one as it seems.

"Brendon said he'd spit in their food if he needed to, but I think that'd get him fired," Martin drones on, "Regardless of dating Flyzik's sister."

"Well we all know that Flyzik would do anything for her," Alex comments, "So I think Brendon has a job here as long as he wants."

Martin shrugs, "I guess. But if he does spit in the food, I might personally deliver it."

Alex chuckles half-heartily before leaving the kitchen to get back to work. He heads to ask the hostess what tables he has tonight, but he was stopped halfway by Rian and Alex "call me Grecio." Rian has a scowl on his face that truly defines the saying, "if looks could kill." Alex cringes, he would hate to be the person that pissed off his usually care free best friend.

"Um Alex," Grecio says hesitantly, biting his lip, "You might want to go look at table 27 in the other room."

Alex raises his eyebrow, "Why? What's going on?"

Rian sighs and tugs on Alex's hand, "Just come on. It's important."

He also sighs and rubs the bridge of his nose, but allows Rian and Grecio to lead him to the other room nonetheless. Alex soon finds out that Rian is right; this is kind of important. He sees Jack, his boyfriend, all dressed up sitting at a table with some blonde guy. And Alex doesn't really know what to think. He doesn't want to jump to conclusions, but Jack told him he'd be at work tonight...

"Is that one of his coworkers?" Grecio asks in a hushed tone, "He usually works Valentine's Day, right?"

Alex shakes his head, "I've met all of the ones he's friends with. And he's too dressed up to be coming from work, which is where he told me he'd be tonight."

"Alex, I-" Rian starts to mutter out some condolence, only to be cut off by Alex.

"Who's their waiter?" he asks, voice emotionless.

"I think Jenna is," Grecio responds.

"Tell her I'm taking there order."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Rian asks gently, patting his best friend on the back.

Alex nods, "Yeah. I don't want to get all worked up over what could be nothing. Jack's reaction'll tell me what I need to know."

Grecio nods and goes to find Jenna. Rian gives Alex a sympathetic smile before going back to his tables. Alex isn't sure what he's feeling right now. A part of him doesn't want to jump to conclusions; for all he knows this guy could be Jack's boss or a new coworker. But, the other part of him wants to storm over there and demand an explanation from his supposed boyfriend. Alex has to remind himself of the boss possibility so he doesn't do just that as he walks over to take there order.

Alex approaches the table, plastering a half assed smile on his face, "Are you guys ready to order yet?" he asks.

Jack jumps at the sound of Alex's voice and buries his head in his menu. Well fuck.

Blondie looks up at Alex with a confused look on his face, "What happened to our other waitress?"

Alex has to resist gritting his teeth, "She's on break."

The guy shrugs before rattling his order to Alex. Alex writes it down on his pad.

"What about you babe?" Blondie asks, signaling to Jack. Alex feels his heart crack in two. He swallows the vile forming in the back of his throat before turning towards Jack-praying for the other man to do something, anything, to prove Alex wrong.

But Jack still refuses even glance at Alex. He stammers out an order before handing Alex the menu; his head ducking down. Alex can feel the tension radiating from his-for now-boyfriend. Alex takes the menu from him and blondie before walking away from the table. He can feel tears stinging in his eyes as walks to kitchen.

When he hands the order to Martin, he says, "Tell Brendon to spit in their food too."

Martin raises an eyebrow, "Everything okay Alex?" he asks hesitantly.

Alex shakes his head, "No Martin, it's not."

Alex walks out of the kitchen with his head hung low. He doesn't understand; it doesn't make sense to him. Why would Jack cheat? Their relationship was strong and healthy; Alex was happy and he thought Jack was too. But, it seems that he was wrong. But why didn't Jack just break up with him instead of looking elsewhere? Did he really care so little about getting caught to bring his new catch to the restaurant Alex and some of his best friends work at? Alex just doesn't understand.

He sighs heavily and makes his way to the staff break room. He doesn't really care if he's technically still on the clock; Rian and Grecio will cover for him. And Matt won't mind, Alex just caught his boyfriend on a date with someone else. There has to be something in the friend code that gives him a break.

He doesn't want to cry; he really and truly doesn't. But when he sinks down to the floor in the break room, something inside of him snaps. And suddenly, the tears that have been welling in his eyes let loose and he just can't stop. Seeing Rian with someone else makes Alex realize just how much the younger man means to him.

Thankfully though, it isn’t long before Flyzik and Rian are sitting down with him-one on each side. Flyzik puts a supportive arm around Alex’s shoulders; allowing his friend to lay his head down on his shoulder.

“If it makes you feel any better, we all took turns spitting in his food,” Rian says hesitantly, his voice monotone at best.

That almost has Alex cracking a smile, but not quite. But instead, he exhales sharply in a ghostly attempt at a laugh.

“Rian’s gonna drive you home, okay Alex?” Matt says, rubbing Alex’s shoulder gently.

Alex shrugs and moves away from Matt so he has a chance to stand up. Rian pulls him to his feet while offering a sympathetic smile, "Let's sneak out the back, like secret agents."

Alex rolls his eyes his eyes at his friends obvious attempt to relieve some tension. But he doesn't say anything against Rian's idea. If Jack's still here, he doesn't want to see him. And if he's left, he still doesn't want anyone else to see him in shambles. So he follows Rian through the kitchen and out the delivery doors. He doesn't miss the pitying looks some of his coworkers were giving him, and he hates them all for it. They makes Alex feel smaller and even more insignificant than then he already is.

The drive to Alex's place is silent. Rian understood that Alex didn't want to talk. But that's just one of the reasons he'll always be his best friend. He gets Alex, and he always has. When they arrive, Rian takes Alex inside and makes sure he gets to bed before leaving. The last thing he remembers before blacking out, is the sound of the door closing when Rian leaves.

~

It's a few hours later when Alex wakes up to a knock on his doors. He stumbles out of bed and to the door. He figures it's Rian or Matt so he doesn't bother looking through the peephole before opening the door. What he doesn't expect though, is for Jack to be standing out in the hall; holding a bouquet of roses paired with a saddened look on his face. Alex wants to roll his eyes.

"What are you doing here?" Alex asks, his voice harder than he thought he could make it.

"I'm sorry," Jack answers, his voice quiet and upset.

"Really? Don't give me that," Alex snaps, "First of all, you told me you were working tonight. Second of all, you took your other man to the restaurant I fucking work at," he chokes up at the last few words.

Jack just looks like he's about to start crying, "I thought you had tonight off," he whispers.

Alex sighs heavily, "Doesn't even really matter? I still would've found out. My two best friends were working. Hell, it was fucking Rian that told me you were there."

"I know, I'm sorry," Jack mumbled again, not making eye contact.

"I just wanna know why," Alex exclaims, "What did I do wrong? I thought what we had was great."

"Oh Alex," Jack sighs, "You didn't do anything wrong. What we have is great, perfect even. I love you so much."

Alex really wants to break down and run into Jack's arms and have him say it'll be okay. He wants to go back to bed and wake up to find it's only a bad dream; that his caring, loving Jack would never ever cheat on him. But, he can't do that. Alex knows that it's pointless now, everything has changed.

"Had."

"What?"

"Had," Alex repeats himself a bit louder than the previous time, "I can't do this Jack. Not if you're gonna pull this shit. Who even knows how long this has been going on?"

"Only for about a month," Jack mumbles, looking at the ground.

Alex isn't sure how to process this information. A month. An entire month. Alex has wasted an entire month on someone who loves another. It almost makes him want to be sick.

"Why though?" Alex asks, voice void of all emotion, "I just don't get it."

"I don't know," Jack answers, barely producing a shrug.

Alex sighs, he doesn't know if he can bare to take anymore of this. He looks up at Jack. The emotional response he feels if conflicting; he's not sure what to do. Part of him wants to forgive the younger man and run into his arms once more. But another, practically bigger, side of him wants to stand his ground.

Alex sighs, "I think you should go."

"But-" Jack starts to protest, only to cut of by his ex.

"No," Alex says, his voice sterner this time, "There's nothing you can do to change my mind."

"I'm sorry," Jack says again, his voice high and shaky, "Please don't do this Alex, I love you."

"Do you?" Alex asks, his watering once again, "I had trouble believing that when I saw you on a date with someone else."

"Please," Jack practically begs, "I can be better. I swear."

Alex shakes his head, "I can't Jack. You just need to leave."

The longer Jack spends in front of Alex, the more likely he is to forgive the younger. The only problem is Alex doesn't want to forgive him. He wants to hurt him. Hurt him the same way he hurt Alex.

"I love you," Jack whispers.

"Goodbye Jack," Alex closes the door, half expecting Jack to stop him. But when he doesn't, Alex's last hopes are dashed. This really is the end for the two of them.

Alex leans up against the door and lets out a whimper. He just wants his Jack back. He just wants everything to be okay again.

~

Jack sighs as he inserts the key into his front door. He didn't think Alex would take it that badly. He had hoped his understanding beau would listen, and give Jack a chance to explain the situation, but instead he ripped out Jack's heart.

Jack tenses up as he realizes the door is already unlocked, meaning that he is here. Jack gulps as he enters the dwelling, praying that he's already passed out.

No such luck, "Jack," he yells, voice angry and rough, "Where have you been?"

The older man walks out of the living room and approaches Jack. Jack takes notice of the glass in his hand; guessing that he had helped himself to Jack's supply of liqueur.

"I-I was only doing what you wanted Patrick," Jack whimpers.

Patrick's face lights up significantly, "You finally broke up with that street rat?" he grumbles.

Jack nods hastily and tries not to cringe when Patrick comes over and runs his hands over Jack's body; stopping when he reaches the taller man's wrists. It always shocks Jack how intimidating Patrick can be only standing at a height of 5'5".

Jack lets out another, louder whimper when Patrick's grip on his wrists tightens, "I don't know what's wrong with you tonight baby," he purrs, successfully giving Jack the heeby-jeebies, "But I think I know how to fix it."

It takes Jack a moment to figure out what Patrick's insinuating, but when he does he's shaking his head and pleading, "No. No I'd rather not."

"Oh really?" Patrick asks, digging his nails into Jack's wrists, causing the younger man to flinch, "Are you sure about that?"

Jack nods quickly, only causing Patrick's grip to tighten even more.

"Jack," he says sternly, his voice cold and harsh, "You and I both know that I'll be getting what I want tonight, and I think it's in your best interest to follow me into the bedroom," And then he's gone, waltzing through Jack's place like he owns it.

Jack looks down and cringes at the bloody crescent shaped wounds on both of his wrists. And, as terrible as it makes him feel, he knows Patrick's right; it would be better for him to just go along with whatever he's asked of. So Jack shamefully follows Patrick into the bedroom; the whole time his mind is stuck on one thing, the boy he left scared and alone on the other side of the city.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is really fricking long holy bejesus. I have an idea for a second part that would explain kinda how Jack got into the situation with Patrick, but I don't know if I'm going to do it yet. Also I only used Patrick Stump because I couldn't think of anyone and asked a friend... So it's not my fault...