Status: Complete

Another Day in Berk

Keep the Peace

Berk came into our view and I noticed Hiccup tense up a bit. Toothless felt him tense and looked at his friend concerned. I knew he was uncomfortable confronting his dad after their morning talk, but Drago was going to be a danger and Stoick needed to know.

"Don't worry, Hiccup," I said, guiding Nightstriker nearer to Toothless. "Your dad is stubborn, but so are you. You'll both come to an understanding like you did with the dragons."

He sighed and looked over at me, "He just expects me to jump right into these things, but I'm not ready."

"You won't ever be ready for anything. You learn to grow into it as it happens." We swooped around Berk, "We just have to get what we found out from those trappers out on the table and he'll forget all about your conversation this morning... I hope."

Hiccup didn't respond as we landed in front of the dragon keep where several vikings were working. Some greeted us as we landed, but none were as loud as Stoick. His boisterous laugh filled the air once he spotted his son.

"There his is! The Pride of Berk!"

Stoick pat Hiccup roughly on the back and pat my head with his giant hand when I came to stand next to his son. I fixed my hair while Hiccup tried catching his breath.

An only family friend, Gobber who lacked limbs, gave us a smile, "Look who decided to show up for work!"

I waved him off with a smile, "I had to find our dearest dragon master, so we could even show up for work, Gobber." I greeted Ruffnut and Astrid, two of the only female friends I held dear.

"Went off on another adventure, did he?" Gobber teased, elbowing Hiccup.

Snotlout, Fishlegs, and Truffnut came to stand near us as I laughed. "As always... and without me, but enough banter. We need to talk to you, Stoick."

"Yeah, Dad. Can I have a word?" Hiccup asked

Of course Stoick had a grin on his face thinking he had other news and despite I called him "Stoick" and not "Uncle Stoick."

"Something you're itching to tell me?" the burly red-headed chief questioned.

"Uh, not quite the itch you're think of, but yes."

Stoick ignored the urgent tone in Hiccup's voice and rambled off on some "lessons" on what it means to be chief as he grabbed a pelt of leather and some tools, handing them to his son. I tugged on my face in frustration, but followed the two.

Hiccup's eyes held frustration, but he didn't let it stray to his face as he interrupted his dad. "Wha-? Could we just talk in private?"

Stoick called out a number and a few vikings tried to get their saddle requests in. Hiccup still couldn't get a word in as his father bustled about the workshop. With several failed interruptions, Hiccup finally got a word in as Stoick had him draw a saddle design on the pelt of leather he previously gave his son.

"Go on. Have away," Stoick told Hiccup to get him to keep making the saddle.

"Yeah, but seiously, I really need to tell you about this new land we came across."

Gobber piped up, "Another one?"

"Any new dragons?" our chubby friend, Fishlegs asked excitedly.

"We didn't stick around too long to find out. There were people there, trappers," I answered. "They weren't too friendly. They're fort was destroyed with giant spikes of ice."

"They thought we did it," Hiccup said.

Gobber switched one of his pegged hands with a brush and started pulling it through his mustache, "You know, you two are going to get yourselves in serious trouble one of these days. Not everyone appreciates this way of life."

"Gobber's right, you two. Best we keep to our own." Stoick placed his hand on Hiccup's shoulder, "Besides, you'll have more important uses for your times once we make the big announcement."

"They're building a dragon army, or-or at least the guy they're working for is," Hiccup blurted. "Dargo Bloody-fist or something."

"Drago Bludvist, Hiccup," I corrected.

"I'll bloody his face with my fist if he tries to take my dragon!" Truffnut, the male twin threatened.

"Or mine!" Ruffnut, the sister twin added.

Truffnut rolled his eyes, "Ugh, you're such a moron."

"A beautiful moron," Fishlegs sighed dreamily.

"Yeah," Snotlout agreed.

I stepped away from the googly-eyed teens, thankful I wasn't the girl they were swooning over. Ruffnut openly showed her disgust at them and I giggled at the sight.

All of us missed Stoick's face fall and become eerily serious. "Bludvist... Drago Bludvist," he muttered, gazing into nothingness.

"I just said that..." I grumbled, crossing my arms.

"Yeah-! Wait... you know him?" Hiccup asked.

With no explanation, Stoick made off to the dragon stables in a huff. Hiccup and I followed, Gobber behind us and the rest of our friends behind him. The second Stoick entered the stables, he began to call out commands to shut all the doors.

"Seal the gates! Lower the stall doors!" the chief boomed.

"Woah, woah, woah, wait, wait, what is happening?" Hiccup tried getting his father to explain.

"No dragon or viking sets foot off this island until I give the word!" Stoick continued yelling.

"Wait, because some guy you knew is stirring up trouble in some far away land?"

"Yeah? Doesn't this seem a bit much?" I agreed with Hiccup.

"Because Drago Bludvist is a mad man. Without conscious or mercy and if he’s built a dragon army, God’s help us all," the chief finally gave us some sort of an answer. Broad, but it was better than ignoring us. He made another order, but Hiccup wasn't going to let up.

"Let’s ride back out there we’ll follow those trappers to Drago and talk some sense into him," my friend suggested. Always ready to try before resorting to war or hiding.

Stoick turned on his son, "No! We fortify the island."

"It's our duty to keep the peace!"

"Peace is over, Hiccup!" Stoick bellowed, silencing everyone nearby. "I must prepare you for war."

The color drained from my face. War? There was no way I was okay with Hiccup going into war if that Drago guy was as bad as Stoick made him seem. Whether it was for selfish reasons or his safety, I did not want war to be the answer.

"War? Dad, if Drago's coming for our dragons, we can't wait around for him to get here! Let's go find him and change his mine."

The burly viking's face clouded over in sadness and fear, "Some minds won't be changed, Hiccup. Berk is what you need to worry about. A chief protects his own."

With that, Stoick walked away, ordering for more protection in the dragon keep.

The crowd around us dispersed allowing Toothless and Nightstriker to finally get near us. All four of us glanced at each other and knew what we had to do. Unfortunately, we didn't realize that Astrid was still near us.

"No! Don't go out there on one of your crazy plans. You two manage to get in more trouble than necessary," she whispered to us.

I grinned mischievously, "No different than the trouble you both used to get into."

"You were a part of those plans too!" Astrid countered before she was interrupted by Hiccup grabbing her shoulders.

"I- We have to," he stated matter-of-factly.

Our blond friend sighed, giving up instantly and she came over to me. She grabbed both of my hands and looked me straight in the eyes. "Don't do anything stupid and don't let him or you get hurt."

"Don't worry. I've watched over this trouble-maker since he was little. I won't let him get hurt."

"Or you, Frigga."

"Or me," I confirmed.

"We need to go quickly," Hiccup told me. "Stay close."

"Lead the way," I commanded him, giving Astrid a small wave.

In seconds, we climbed onto our respected dragons and bolted to the closing hangar gate. Right as we went airborne, Stoick noticed us.

"Hiccup! Frigga!" he called out, but we didn't stop. We barely made it through the gate.

I released the breath I was holding once we had Berk behind us and I slumped forward onto Nightstriker, sighing sadly. "I feel so bad..." I trailed off. "Sorry, Uncle Stoick..."

Hiccup gave me a look of understanding from the back of Toothless. "Hey, Frigga?" He pulled my sad stare to his green eyes.

"Yeah?"

"Do you trust me?"

My face reddened under his gaze when I almost blurted out that I would always follow him no matter what and stuck with a simple, "Of course."

He didn't seem to pay attention to my red cheeks, "Play along with whatever I do, okay?"

"Absolutely," I nodded.

Like I said, I'd follow whatever crazy plans he had. I would never want to admit it, but I trusted him with my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the couple days of no posting. I've been trying to do a lot this weekend with friends and catching up on sleep with Thanksgiving next week. I'm mentally and physically preparing for my job, so it's been crazy. I hope you enjoyed the chapter and I hope to get the next one out in the next 24 hours or so. Thanks for reading!