Status: Please enjoy! Comments and reviews are encouraged!

Not Desperate

Chapter 15 The In-Laws are Coming

Chapter 15
The In-Laws are Coming

Yvonne had been stressing and freaking out the last day and a half. It was now Friday afternoon and Helen and Paul would be here any minute. When they arrive, Yvonne was taking them with her to pick up Michael from school. She was dreading this. She and Helen had never really liked each other. Yvonne clearly remembered the day they met. She and David had only been dating for a couple of months and he was taking her to meet them at a restaurant near their house in Columbia, Tennessee. When Helen learned that she and Yvonne both had a bachelor degree in English she was excited. That meant that they were just alike, right? Well, no, and Helen quickly realized that. Yvonne wasn’t a shopper. She didn’t have a lot of knick-knacks on her shelves. She didn’t have decorative towels in the bathroom and sure as hell didn’t wear Alfred Dunner pantsuits. She was nothing but a big disappointment. They had always been civil to each other, but David had told her all the nasty things his mother had said about her.
When they pulled into the driveway, Yvonne plastered on her fake smile and went outside to meet them. “Oh honey! It’s so good to see you!” Helen said excitedly and gave Yvonne a big hug. “Have you lost weight sweetheart?”
“No, I haven’t, but thanks for asking. Hello Paul, how are you? How was the trip?”
“Just fine honey.” He said and came around the truck to give her a hug. She and Paul always got along. He had been raised the same as her and her mother, so they had a lot more in common. “Come on everybody, grab some bags so we can get the truck cleared out and go get that boy.” Once they had all the bags inside, they left to go to the school. Yvonne had not missed this, the third degree. Helen needed to know everything about her life to everything about her friend’s lives. She even started in on her job. “Are you still working at that diner?” Helen asked her.
“Technically it’s a café, and yes, I am. It’s a great job. I get paid well enough to support Michael and myself and I get a lot of exercise running around during the rushes. My co-workers are amazing and the customers are nice and friendly. I have no complaints about my job.”
“I know honey, but don’t you want something more for yourself? Think about Michael.”
I’m going to bitch slap that woman! “I think about Michael every day. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be working at all. I’d be on the couch in my robe watching television every day. Everything I do, I do for him. I don’t do anything for myself. Maybe when I’m retired, like you, I can be selfish.” Helen’s mouth was hanging open. She remained silent the rest of the way to the school.
Michael was so excited to meet his grandparents. He talked the rest of the way home. He told them about his day and what he had been doing at the school, when they got home, Paul announced that he would be taking them all out for a special dinner. Everyone took their turns in the shower and got dressed. When they were on the way to the restaurant, Michael innocently asked if Daryl was meeting them there. Yvonne was struck dumb. She wasn’t going to tell her in-laws about him, not in any way, shape or form. “Who is Daryl?” Helen asked.
“He’s a friend of mommy’s. He’s fixing our car.” Michael answered.
“Well, I haven’t heard of him, Yvonne. Where did you meet him?”
“I met him that last weekend I spent with Kay in Senoia. He has a friend who owns a garage and Daryl helps him out when he has the time. He had the car towed there when it broke down Monday morning. He has been working on it after he gets off work almost every day. He’s supposed to call me when it’s ready.”
“Are you two dating?” Helen asked.
“I don’t know. We’ve had dinners and lunches together, but I wouldn’t say we’re a couple. We’re just friends, that’s all. Don’t worry Helen, I haven’t forgotten about David.”
Dinner was pleasant. Michael, Helen and Paul carried the conversation. Yvonne just zoned out, dreading the rest of the night and the next day. She hadn’t felt this empty and depressed since she was married. David was so much like his mother, both of them could make her feel like shit with just one word or look. She was just frozen, falling into herself. She wanted to talk to Daryl, she wanted to see him. When they finally got home, it was time for Michael to go to bed, Helen and Paul soon followed. Yvonne debated calling or texting Daryl wondering if it was too late at night when her phone vibrated in her hand. Speak of the devil.
-Are you awake? D
-Yes. How are you? Y
-Tired. Finished ur car 2day. D
-That’s wonderful! The best news I’ve had all day! Y
-Glad I could make your day. How’s things with your parents? D
-I’m a nervous wreck. She always does this to me. We do our family thing tomorrow, then they leave Sunday. Y
-Can I call you? D
-Sure! Y
Two minutes later, the phone vibrated and Daryl’s handsome face appeared on her screen. “Hello,” she said, barley above a whisper.
“Hello,” he said back. “Why does she make you nervous? What does she do?”
“Typical, obnoxious, motherly, you aren’t good enough and should me more like me things.” Yvonne said sadly. “The real problem is that they aren’t even my parents.”
“I thought Michael said his grandparents were coming to town?” Daryl asked, confused.
“They are his biological grandparents, just not my parents.” She said. Fearing she had said too much, she remained quiet, waiting for a reply.
“His father’s parents?” He asked again, although he kind of figured that out.
“Yeah. He sees them about once a month. We usually drive halfway and meet them, although sometimes I’ll go all the way to their house or vice versa. I only see them in passing and I’m not use to being around her for this long. I’ve forgotten how bad she can get.”
“If ya want to talk about it, I’d love to listen; I mean, you can tell me anything.”
“Thank you Daryl. I will, someday, but not right now. Just let me survive the weekend and we’ll see. I may need you to rescue me though, bring your crossbow and scare her a little?” she said, laughing.
“If you want that, then I’ll do it. I can’t give a shit about anyone who would make you feel like dirt. She’s just ignorant, Yvonne. Try to ignore it if you can. How about we spend the day together Sunday after they leave? You and Michael come to Senoia. We’ll find something fun to do, maybe a pic-nic or something? Maybe I can teach Michael how to fish?”
“That sounds great Daryl, You really don’t have to do so much for me and him. But I appreciate it all.”
“I haven’t done that much, just try to be a good friend. You‘ve been good to me too. Never had somebody like you. Just want you to know how much it means to me. How about I bring your car over tomorrow? I’ll get Rick or T to follow me so I’ll have a ride home. You let me know when you’re gonna be there. Maybe I can put the fear of God in her.” He chuckled.
“If she saw you with a sheriff’s deputy or a giant black man following you, I think that would do the trick. Okay, I’ll call you tomorrow after we get home. It was nice to hear your voice.”
“It’s always nice to hear yours too darlin’. Get some sleep and have nice dreams.”
“You too Daryl. Goodnight.”
“Goodnight, darlin’.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it has been so long. I will be posting more often, I hope. Enjoy!! Let me know what you think.