Status: Please enjoy! Comments and reviews are encouraged!

Not Desperate

Chapter 24 Operation: Take Out Dixons

Chapter 24
OPERATION: Take out Dixons

Monday morning was hard for Yvonne and Michael. Neither was ready or willing to get out of bed. It was cloudy and rain was expected for later. Yvonne loved rain showers and thunderstorms. It was the perfect excuse for lying in bed with a book. Finally, she got up and woke Michael as well. On their way to school, Michael asked her if Daryl was going to move in with them.
“I don’t know honey. We haven’t talked about it and I think it’s a little too soon to be thinking about it. We live in separate towns. Daryl lives and works in Senoia. He would have to find another job and I think he likes where is just fine. Don’t worry Michael, you’ll see him plenty.”
“Do you think it would be okay if I called him dad?”
“Are you sure about that? It’s an awful big step.”
“He promised me he’d be around forever, I might as well call him dad. That’s what he’s gonna be, right?”
“You’ll have to ask him that, but I don’t think he’ll have a problem with it. In fact, I think it will make him very happy.” As she pulled out of the school parking lot, the grey Silverado truck parked across the street went unnoticed.
Daryl had a hell of a day. He kept thinking about Joe and Len all morning. He hadn’t told Yvonne about what Merle had said to him that night at the carnival. He knew she still thought about the attack and knowing that Len was roaming the streets again had them both on edge. His concentration was in the shitter. When it was lunch time, he called Yvonne to check up on her. She happened to be on break and they talked for a while and decided that Daryl would come over for dinner. He had to stop by T-Dog’s garage again, but would be over after that. While he and Yvonne were talking, Merle called Carol. He made sure she and Sophia were safe and planned on seeing them for dinner tonight. The rest of their lunch was spent in Daryl’s truck discussing the Len and Joe situation.
“Haven’t seen or heard from none of the boys since I saw Joe’s truck at the carnival,” Merle said, taking a drag off his cigarette. “That’s not good baby brother. I should’ve heard from Joe by now. He usually sends me out with product on Sunday. There’s something going on. Good thing your girl lives in Woodbury, she’s probably safer there, away from this shit. I wouldn’t put it passed those asshole to find her though. Len’s a crazy motherfucker and you know what he’s capable of. You know what he’s done in the past. Might be a good idea to keep close to that girl of yours and her boy.”
“You don’t have to tell me that shit Merle! I do know what that motherfucker’s done! I’ve seen half of it! I’ve seen what he does to women Merle. I’ll be goddamned if I let him do it to her. I don’ know what to do except take time off work, but I can’t afford it. She can’t do it either. If I could, I’d take her and Michael and get the fuck outta town.”
“Then do it. You’ve got sick days and vacation time. Take it and get her and her boy up to granddaddy’s cabin. I’m thinking about doing the same with Carol and Sophia. Joe knows that when it comes down to it, I’m gonna choose my family over him and that I’m gonna do everything I can to protect you and your family. That means they’ll be after me too, I gotta protect mine too baby brother.”

“I’m gonna talk to Rick tonight,” Daryl said as he got out of the truck. “I’m gonna see what’s going on, see if there’s anything that can be done. I won’t lose her or Michael and I will kill anyone who tries to hurt them or take them away from me.”
Len sat in his Silverado eating his drive-thru burger and fries. He could see Yvonne through the front windows of the diner. He’d been sitting there for most of her shift and had followed her around since she left her house this morning. A plan was forming in his feeble mind. He couldn’t give a shit less about the boy, he could dispose of him pretty easy; he’s had to do that before. Shane had promised him that little D would be taken care of personally He’s supposed to be tailing that little shit all day. Joe was taking on Merle himself, he had plans for him and his old woman. Len’s eyes never left Yvonne. He certainly enjoyed seeing her in that short skirt and button-up top; her tits looked like they were gonna bust through it. He imagined all the things he was gonna do to her. The fact that little D was gonna end up dead, made him smile.
When Merle left the construction site, he went straight to Carol’s house. He had been a very lucky man that she had forgiven him and let him back into her and Sophia’s lives. Joe and the boys had been her reason for kicking him out. She didn’t want their influence, drugs or criminal activities around her daughter. Merle could understand that, but chose them and the drugs over her. Since realizing what evil was in their heads, especially Len, he had been trying to give up the drugs and separate himself from them. Carol had certainly helped with that and he had told her he loved her. He truly wanted to be a better man and spend the rest of his life with her and be a real father to Sophia. He wanted to marry her and had gone Saturday to buy a ring. Knowing he didn’t have much time before the shit hit the fan, he planned on asking her tonight. He no longer begrudged Daryl his love for Yvonne. He was no longer scared of losing his brother because he knew Daryl would always be there and now, Merle could have his own family too. He was to engrossed in thought to notice Joe’s truck a couple of vehicles behind him.
When Daryl got to the garage, T was in the office on the computer. “Hey D, how you doing?”
“Just fine, tired though. Got too much shit on my mind. This thing with Joe’s boys and Yvonne . . . it scares the fuck outta me.”
T-Dog stopped what he was doing and gave Daryl his full attention. “Talked to Rick today. He wants to talk to both of us. I think he’s got news on that front. Have you talked to Yvonne today?”
“Yeah, called her at lunch. She was on break and couldn’t talk long. She’s trying to act like she’s not scared shitless, but I know she is. Gonna go to her house when I leave here, she’s making dinner.”
“I’d keep an eye on her and Michael. He’s a good kid, seems like they have a good relationship.”
“He gave me the speech after the carnival. Made me promise not to leave or hurt her. He’s gonna be a good man when he grows up.”
“Don’t doubt it, especially with a mom like her. You can tell how much she loves him. You think ya’ll might ever have one of your own?” T smiled.
“Aw hell, ain’t thinking of that shit yet. Let me get used to having a woman first. I love that kid like he was my own, man. I don’t know nothing about being a dad, well, nothing good anyway.”
“Don’t doubt yourself man. Just let them lead you. It’ll be easier than you think. Well, I’m gonna get my ass outta here. I’m taking Jackie to the movies, can’t be late. Talk to ya later D. If anything happens, or you need me, call.”
“I will. Now go get your girl. I won’t be here long.” After T left, he went to the bike in the corner. He’d been building this thing for the past two weeks and would be finished by the weeks end. He wanted to take Yvonne out on it. She had mentioned that she’d never ridden one before, but had always wanted to. He wanted to feel her body pressed against his back and her arms wrapped around him. As he was tinkering with the bike, he heard one coming toward the shop. He stopped what he was doing and looked out the crack in the garage doors. He couldn’t see clearly, but could tell there was a motorcycle in the lot. He took out his cell phone and called Rick.
“I’m glad you called Daryl. There’s something I need to talk to you and T-Dog about.”
“Later man. I’m at the garage and there’s somebody on a bike out here in the lot. They got their lights off and I can’t tell who it is. I don’t think Joe or any of them dipshits got a bike. I’m gonna go out there, see what they want.”
“Don’t do it Daryl. Unless you got your bow, do not confront whoever it is. May not be Joe or Len, but it could be someone they know. Stay in the shop. I’m on my way, gonna bring the cruiser.”
“Alright, my truck is setting out there. Whoever it is knows I’m here. I’m gonna call Yvonne, check up on her.”
“Good. I’ll be there in ten minutes.” Daryl hung up and dialed Yvonne’s number. She didn’t answer and it went straight to voicemail. He tried not to worry and left a very calm message to call him as soon as possible. There was no noise outside, not footsteps, not the sound of an engine, nothing. He hung around the doors trying to listen, but heard nothing. A few minutes later he heard the siren from Rick’s cruiser and the sound of the bike starting up. He pushed the doors open and saw dirt and dust kick up as the motorcycle sped out of the parking lot. As the bike sped away under the street light, Daryl noticed something about it that was very familiar.
Rick was going to follow the bike as it peeled out of the lot until he saw Daryl run in front of the cruiser. He slammed on the brakes, narrowly missing his best friend. “What the fuck Daryl! I’m gonna go after him!”
“No Rick! Don’t! I know who it is!”
“How do you know who it is? I thought you couldn’t see him.”
“I couldn’t until he passed under the street light. He was wearing a helmet, but I recognized the bike.”
“Where’ve you seen the bike?” Rick asked getting impatient.
“Here, at the garage. It’s a Triumph Bonneville.” Rick’s cell phone rang as the realization hit him. He took his phone out of his pocket and assuming it was Lori, he answered without checking it.
“Rick, do you know where Daryl is?” Yvonne’s worried voice was on the other end.
“Yeah, Yvonne. I’m here at the garage with him. Hold on.” He handed the phone to Daryl. “She sounds worried.” Daryl quickly took the phone.
“Hey baby, are you okay?” Daryl asked full of adrenaline.
“Yes. I missed your call because I was starting dinner and left my phone in my purse. I didn’t hear it. You sounded worried in your message and I called you back, but you didn’t answer. I was getting scared, so I called Rick.”
“Yeah baby, I’m fine. I was just worried when you didn’t pick up. I’m gonna finish up with Rick and then I’ll be over for dinner. Just promise me you and Michael will stay in the house. Lock the doors and windows, but stay alert. Keep an eye outside, if you see anything suspicious call me or Rick. Promise me.”
“I promise Daryl, but I wanted to tell you that there’s a truck parked across the street. It pulled up as Michael and I were walking home from next door. The windows are tinted and his lights are off. I don’t know who it is, but no one’s got in or out of it since it got here.”
“You sit tight. Do what I said and stay away from the doors and windows. Do not open the door for anyone but me. I’ll call you when I get there so you’ll know it’s me. I’ll be there as soon as I can. I love you.”
“I love you too Daryl. Please hurry, but be careful.”
“I will sweetheart. I’ll see ya’ll soon.” Daryl gave the phone back to Rick. “I think Len is staking out her house. Sounds like his truck sitting across the street. I gotta go.”
Rick reached out and grabbed him by the arm. “You’re sure about what you saw? You’re positive it was Shane’s bike?”
“Never been more sure. That last night, when I bailed Merle outta jail, he threatened me and her. I don’t trust him. I thing he was trying something at the carnival. I saw him talking to her and she said he was concerned about her. He’s up to something. I gotta go. We’ll talk later.” Daryl jumped in his truck as fast as he could and hightailed it out of there.
He slowed the truck as he turned onto Yvonne’s street. He could see the truck in his headlights and knew who it was. He pulled into the driveway and grabbed his bow as he jumped out. The truck sped away as he reached the end of the drive. Cursing loudly, he turned around and went up to the door. Yvonne swung the door wide open and jumped into his arms. He held her tight and breathed a sigh of relief in her ear. “Thank God you’re safe. I tried to get here as fast as I could. That was Len’s truck sweetheart, I’d know it anywhere.”
“He’s been sitting outside my fucking house! How the hell did he find out where I lived? Oh God! What the hell am I gonna do? What about Michael? He could’ve gotten into the damn house! Daryl, what am I gonna do?” She held onto him so tightly he thought she was gonna strangle him. He felt like a piece of shit. He should’ve been there, he should’ve been keeping an eye on them both. Fuck he was useless. He had promised Paul he would never let her get hurt again. He was such a goddamn failure. He was gonna lose them and it would be his fault.
“Shush darlin’. He’s gone, ya’ll are safe now. Where’s Michael? He okay?”
“He’s in his room doing homework. I told him to stay in there until I came to get him. I think he’s scared too.” Daryl locked the door behind him and led her into the living room.”
“Let’s go get him. I don’t want to scare him anymore than he already is, but we all need to discuss this. He doesn’t need to know everything, but he needs to know to watch out for himself. We’re gonna make a plan.”
Once they were all seated at the table and eating, Michael asked about the truck that had been parked across the street. Yvonne and Daryl looked at each other not knowing exactly what to tell him. Thankfully, Daryl took the lead. “Well, there’s some bad people out there buddy. I need you to know that I’m not letting them get near you or your mom. The three of us are gonna go away for a while, get outta town while things calm down a bit. Would you like to go spend some time out in the woods in my cabin?”
“That would be awesome!” Michael exclaimed. “But what about the bad guys? Whose gonna get them?”
“My friend Rick, he’s a sheriff’s deputy. He’s got some information on them and we found out something interesting tonight. I think he can handle it just fine. It’s my job to keep you and your momma safe. The best way I can do that is for us to stay together and get out of town for a while.”
“Okay, but what about school?”
“I’ll talk to your teacher tomorrow morning when I drop you off. I’ll get her to give you your school work for the week so you won’t be behind when we get back home. I’ll have to take off from work too. I’ll take care of that tomorrow also. What about you Daryl? When do you want to leave?”
“The sooner, the better. Tomorrow night if we can. Best to travel at night, it’ll make us harder to track.”
“Okay, Michael and I will pack our bags and we can leave as soon as we all get home tomorrow.” After dinner, Michael got ready and went to sleep. Daryl was already lying in bed when Yvonne came in. “Okay, tell me the truth. What does Rick know and what did ya’ll find out tonight?” she said as she sat on the edge of the bed, her back to Daryl. He sat up and put his arms around her from behind.
“Shane’s been following me. When I was at the garage, a bike parked out in the lot. He had his lights off and I couldn’t see him. I called Rick and he showed up in the cruiser, lights and sirens blaring. The guy shot outta there like a bat outta hell. When he got onto the street, I was able to see the bike. It was a Triumph Bonneville. The only one I’ve ever seen up close belongs to Shane Walsh.” Yvonne stood and walked to her dresser, taking out a pair of sleep shorts and a tank.
“Why would he follow you? What could he possibly have against you?” she asked and sat back on the bed.
“A few weeks ago I had to bail Merle outta jail. You remember the day T towed your car for ya? Well, that night after I left here, Merle called me to come pick him up. He’d beaten some poor Asian delivery boy almost to death. Anyway, when I got there, Shane was bringing him outta holding and said a few things while Rick was getting Merle sprung.”
“What did he say?” she asked, not knowing if she wanted to hear.
“He said I needed to keep my eyes on you. That a woman like you wouldn’t stay with a man like me for long. He said a better man would take you away from me.”
She cradled his face in her hands. “There is no better man than you Daryl Dixon. Certainly not him. Now I see why you don’t trust him. You don’t think he has anything to do with Len or Joe do you?”
“I don’t know. Rick’s gonna check things out, I’m sure. If he’s smart, he’ll check out his work record from Atlanta, see if he had any problems there.” He paused and looked into her eyes. “I was so scared when I found out you were being watched by that sick bastard. He’s nothing to take lightly. I’ve known him since I was fourteen years old and he’s done some sick, depraved shit in his life. Things he should be in prison for right now. He’s raped, murdered and because of Joe, he’s never been caught. Joe protects him ‘cause he does his dirty work for him. He’s got something wrong in his head. The way he sees things, it just ain’t right. That’s why I want to get you and Michael out of town. I don’t know how he found you, but he touches you over my dead body.”
“Don’t say that Daryl. If what you say is true, I wouldn’t doubt they’d try to kill you,” she said and started to cry. He lie back on the bed and pulled her with him. He put his arms around her and kissed her lips. “Don’t worry baby girl, they can’t hurt me. Only a Dixon can kill a Dixon. You remember that. Now let’s stop talking ‘bout them bastards. I want to make love to my woman.” He brought her to him for another kiss and pulled her body over his. Their hands roamed each other’s body and they undressed each other. Yvonne straddled his legs and leaned over to take his mouth. She moved down his body to his neck, chest, stomach and hips. As she was about to take him into her mouth, he stopped her. “No baby. Want to make love to you. Want to be inside you. Ride me baby girl.” He lifted her by the hips and positioned her over his rock hard cock. As she lowered herself onto him she looked into his eyes. They were dark and looking back at her. She loved the look on his face as he entered her. She’d never seen that look on a man’s face before him. He moaned loudly when she bottomed out on his cock and put his hands on her hips and held her there. “Baby girl, you are so fucking perfect. So tight, so wet, so warm. Just for me. Say it baby girl. I need to hear you say it.”
She leaned over and put her hands on his chest. She whispered in his ear, “Only for you. My pussy belongs to you, no one else. And your cock belongs to me.” She sat up and began to gyrate her hips slowly while rubbing her hands down his chest. He held a bruising death grip on her hips as she began to bounce up and down on his shaft. His hands moved to her breasts and he squeezed them and pinched her nipples. Her breathing became erratic and he knew she was close. He moved one hand down to the place where they were connected and began to rub her clit. Her moaning became so out of control that he pulled her down on him and silenced her with his mouth. Soon she came undone above him and went limp in his arms. He rolled them over to where he was on top of her now. He lifted her legs and held them, hovering above her head. He began to thrust harder and deeper inside her and she felt herself losing control again. As she came for the second time that night, she opened her mouth to scream, but nothing came out. When he felt her walls clamp down on his cock, he came undone as well and furiously pumped himself until he had emptied inside her. He pulled out and collapsed by her side. “Fuck I love you,” he said and curled up around her putting his head on her chest. “Can’t lose you. I’d fucking die if I lost you.” Yvonne wrapped her arms around him. “I’ve never loved anyone this much Daryl. You’ll never lose me. I’ll always be here. I can’t lose you either. I can’t be alone again, it would kill me.” She leaned over and turned off the bedside lamp. They drifted off to sleep in each other’s arms. Len stubbed out his cigarette with his boot as he turned and walked away from Yvonne’s bedroom window.