Status: Please enjoy! Comments and reviews are encouraged!

Not Desperate

Chapter 6 Making Plans

Chapter Six

Game face

How long was he supposed to wait to call her? He’d been thinking about it ever since he got out of the shower. What if she’d changed her mind and didn’t want to see him? What if her friends convinced her that he was worthless? If Merle or the boys hit on them, he’d kill ‘em. That stupid, handless idiot was always ruining things for him. He knew why too. Merle knew that if Daryl found something good, he would follow it to wherever it ended, leaving him alone as a result. Yeah, Merle has “friends”, but you couldn’t count on them for shit. They’d just as soon make Merle their scapegoat and take off for the hills. Daryl loved his brother, at least he thought he did. He often wondered what his life would have been without him. Would he be a different person or would he be dead? Don’t need to think about that. Would rather think about Yvonne. As he drove down the road toward the garage, he passed the diner where they had been earlier. If he called her, and she agreed to see him again, it would be better than the diner. Although, the diner was real special. He didn’t want her to think that he didn’t want better with her.
When he arrived at T’s garage, the man was waiting for him standing next to a bike. “Sorry to call you on Sunday man, but this bike’s been a bitch. Neither Zach or Jim can figure it out.”
“Who’s it belong to?” Daryl asked. It was a beautiful piece. Brand new he’d guess. Triumph Bonneville, he’d wanted one since he was sixteen.
“New deputy in town, Shane Walsh, I think. He’s a prick, but a prick with great taste and money.”
“Okay. I’ll look at it. Don’t want to get my ass arrested if I can’t fix it though.” Daryl laughed. He had known T-Dog since high school. Not a lot of black people in this part of Georgia. Merle and his “friends” have quite a reputation. But T-Dog hadn’t been afraid of them. Stood up to Merle and the gang quite a few times since then. Daryl admired that and had made it a point to be his friend. The two of them and Rick had been close for over thirty years.
It took the great Daryl Dixon exactly twenty minutes to diagnose the problem. Sugar in his gas tank. It made him chuckle. He hadn’t seen this since he and Rick did the same to the principle’s car junior year. He guessed Rick remembered that too. When he went back to T’s office, he was on the phone, so he shut the door and sat down in the chair next to it.
“Yeah man, count me in. I’m sure Dixon will want to be there too. He just walked in. I’ll ask him.” He moved the phone away from his face. “It’s Rick. He wants us to come over tonight and watch the game. Lori’s taking the kids to her sister’s. He’s ordering pizza and wings, wants us to bring the beer.”
“Hell yeah,” he says. “Be more than happy to buy beer. I’ll be sure and get plenty. ‘Sides, I wanna talk to ya’ll about something anyway.”
T-Dog returns to the phone. “He’s in and bringing beer. Says he’s got something to talk about. Okay man, see ya then.” After he hangs up the phone, he turns his full attention to Daryl. “So, what’s the verdict?”
“On the bike?” he replies. “Suppose someone don’t like him much. Think I know who it is too.”
T began to laugh. “Don’t tell me, Rick put sugar in his gas tank, right? Can’t believe those two morons didn’t catch that!”
“Well, I started thinking about what you said about him being a deputy and a prick. Figured Rick would know him by now. And we both know that prankin’ bastard pretty well.”
“Yeah, we do,” He laughed. “You gonna bust his ass tonight?”
“Hell naw. Just want to know how big a prick he is. Got Merle to think about, ya know.”
“I’d rather not think about Merle,” T said. He paused for a moment the asked, “So, what’s on your mind tonight Dixon? It’s gotta be important if your wanting input on it.”
“Yeah, well, something happened last night and I really don’t know what to think about it. I’m just confused as hell and don’t know what I should do.”
“Well, that’s what we’re here for bud. We’ll steer ya right. Does it involve a woman?” T asked and grinned so big, those pearly whites almost blinded Daryl.
“None of ya damn business! You’ll find out later at Rick’s if I still wanna tell ya by that time.” He huffed out a breath of exasperation. “What time we gotta be there?”
“The games starts at six, so between five thirty and then?”
“K. See ya then. I gotta get home and take another shower. Didn’t get to enjoy it this morning ‘cause Merle was being a nosy dick.”
“I am not gonna ask about that. See ya later Daryl. Be careful.”
“Sure thing. See ya later.” When Daryl got back to his truck, he noticed that it was four o’clock. Plenty of time to get home, shower, change, buy beer and get to Rick’s. He can’t wait to hear about this new deputy. If he was as bad as he thought, they were all in for some shit. Then he thought about her again. What was he gonna say about her? How could he explain what had happened and what he was feeling? He didn’t even know what he was feeling.
Two hours later, he was pulling into Rick’s driveway, two cases of beer setting on the seat next to him. As soon as he hops out of the truck, Carl comes running out of the front door. “Daryl! Did you bring your bow? “
“Nah little man. No need for it. Got no one to maim today buddy.”
“Ya gotta take me hunting Uncle Daryl. Let me use your bow. Teach me the stuff you’re showing Sophia.”
“I am teaching ya all the stuff I’m showing Sophia. The crossbow’s still too big for ya, though. Ya arms are too short. You’ll get it in a few years, don’t worry about it. Maybe you could go camping with us in a couple of weeks. Taking Sophia and her mamma. I’ll talk to your parents about it.” He carried one of the cases through the front door as Carl was talking. He dropped it in the kitchen and saw Lori by the sink making a bottle for Judith. “Hey Daryl. Bring enough beer with you?” she asked with wide eyes.
“Nah. Got another case in the truck.” She laughed at that and left the room to give the baby her bottle. When I got back with the other case, T and Rick came in and started filling a large tub with ice. “Are we allowed to have any of that Dixon?” Rick asked.
“Only if ya can sneak it. Neither of ya’ll are too quiet. I’ll hear ya coming.”
Then Lori comes through with a couple of overnight bags and the kids. As she and Rick kiss each other goodbye, Carl gives Daryl a pleading look. Daryl gives him a wink that says, “I’m on it bud.” When the car pulls out of the driveway, the party starts. They each grab a beer, fill a plate with pizza and wings and settle in the living room in front of the big screen.
“So I understand that we got ourselves a new deputy. What’s he like, Rick?” Daryl asks, smiling and waiting to hear his confessional.
“He’s a damn Neanderthal. Got that God’s gift to women and law enforcement ego going on. Everyone is guilty until proven innocent shit. He came from Atlanta, so he don’t know shit about running a small town. And to top it all off, he’s my new partner. Chief Horvath has already been all over him about his attitude.”
“Should I be worried Rick? Should I lock Merle in the closet forever?”
“I think having Merle locked in the closet would benefit all mankind.” T said, licking wing sauce off his fingers.
“Ya probably right. He’s gonna hit Walsh’s radar soon, him and the boys. I just hope they can control themselves for a while. Shane’s already convinced this is the meth capital of Georgia. He won’t need them to give him an excuse to start harassing ‘em.” Rick sighed loudly. “Hey, wasn’t there something you wanted to talk about?” he said to Daryl as he passed into the kitchen for more beer.
“Uh, yeah. I guess so. Just don’t know where to start.” Daryl said, with pizza cheese hanging out of his mouth.
“Why don’t you start with her name.” T said.
“Her? It’s a woman?” Rick said incredulously.
“Good Lord! Yes, it’s a woman. Ya’ll act like I wouldn’t recognize one if I saw it. I do like women, ya know.”
“Yeah, we know,” said T, “but I don’t think we’ve ever known one to like you. Or you to want to talk about one.”
Daryl cleared his throat and took a swig from his beer. They were looking at him with anticipation and excitement, like they were two year olds and SpongeBob was about to sing them a song. “Her name is Yvonne. She has long, blond hair, dark brown eyes, soft lips and an amazing body.”
“How do you know how soft her lips are?” Rick asked.
“Because I kissed her, dumbass.”
“Big step for you man,” T said as he wiped fake tears from his eyes. “Rick, our boy’s growing up.”
T and Rick laughed and Daryl threw his now empty of everything but wing bones plate at them. “Fuck both of ya! If ya’ll are just gonna make fun of me, I’ll take my beer and go home.”
“Now, Daryl,” Rick said in his best officer’s voice, “We’re not making fun of ya. We’re just really happy. Tell us what happened.”
While Daryl went into the kitchen to get more food and beer, he began to tell them all about her, what he knew anyway. He told them every detail about the night and how it ended. Rick and T just listened, not making any more comments. Both of them were stunned that a woman had been able to do this to their friend. Their friend who had experienced so much pain and humiliation in his life. Their friend who had never had an interest in a woman for more than one night, and even that was few and far between. They couldn’t get over how happy he seemed. His eyes were bright and big and his smile was blinding. They both loved Daryl like a brother, and they would make sure he didn’t fuck this up. They would make sure he got his happy ending.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another one for ya. This is all Daryl. I know nothing about bikes, so what ya gonna do. I asked my husband some questions, so there ya go. I'm not hearing anything from anyone, so I assume that ya'll have no complaints with where this is going. Talk to me people, give me input. Enjoy!