Somewhere in Neverland

003

Monday August 26th - 9pm.

The first thing I did when I realized it was them, was turn around and head straight for the staff room in the back. I could hear Taylor talking to them, and then making them something to drink. Soon enough, Taylor was standing at the doorway, while I was sitting on one of the chairs at the small table.

“You wanna explain what that was about?” I took a deep breath and shook my head no, not uttering a word.

“Well you’ve got Alex and Jack out there wondering if you’re okay, and I think as your best friend, I kind of deserve to know why you went off like that.”

I bit my lip, and reached into my bag for my bottle of painkillers, considering my ribs were killing me, and I knew they were bruised worse than my wrist. She eyed me suspiciously, but I ignored her. Popping two in my mouth and washing it down with some water, I looked back up at her, only to find she was worried.

“It’s nothing Taylor, I’m just not feeling well.”

“Bullshit. There’s something wrong. What did you mean when you said I don’t know the half of it?”

I knew she wasn’t going to let this go. I debated going back to the counter to avoid her making a scene, but then I remembered Saturday and decided against it. She’s my best friend, if I don’t tell her, i’m a horrible person.

“Jared.”

“What about him? I said he makes you feel like shit by treating you like dirt and putting you down.”

“In more ways than one.”

“Elaborate?”

Unable to find my voice, I lifted up the sleeve of my shirt to reveal the black and purple bruise on my wrist which had gotten worse than before. Her eyes widened and she couldn’t hold back her screams.

“WENDY WHAT THE FUCK?” It was so loud, I knew everyone in the shop heard her.

“That’s not even the end of it.” She came closer, carefully picking up my wrist to examine it.

“What do you mean?” I lifted up my shirt to reveal the bruise on my ribs, making her yell even more.

“JESUS CHRIST. WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME THIS BEFORE?” Her voice was even louder now, if that was even possible, and it made me cringe.

“I knew how you would react.” I fixed my clothes back to the way they were.

“How long has this been going on?”

“About a year.”

“A YEAR?!?”

And that’s when it happened. She grabbed her jacket and purse, stomped out of the back room and into the shop, fuming. I followed her out, grabbing my stuff on the way.

“TAY, where are you going?” My voice was cracking.

“TO KILL THAT SON OF A BITCH.” Fuck. Wasn’t expecting that one.

“Are you insane? He’ll kill you!”

“I TOLD YOU HE WAS NO GOOD FOR YOU. DID YOU LISTEN? NO! I’ve watched him put you through HELL! I thought it was bad Wendy, but I didn’t realize it went this far. If you think i’m letting that jackass get away with that, you’re wrong. SO wrong.”

“TAYLOR. You can’t take him on alone. If I lose him, I go back to being nobody at all. If I lose YOU, I will officially HAVE nothing. Please don’t go.”

She sighed, knowing I was right and went back to the staff room to put her stuff away. I went and put mine away too, glancing at the clock. It was 9:30, almost time to go home anyways. When I got back to the counter, Alex was standing there staring at the menu.

“Hey Alex, what can I get you?”

“Um. I guess...a coffee and muffin again. Oh and a latte for Jack.” I nodded and punched in his order, then bustled around to make the drinks.

“Here ya go, that’s $12.05”

I handed him the drinks and muffin, and took the $20 from his free hand.Giving him back his change, he noticed his phone number scrawled out on mine.

“Hey you never texted me.”
“Sorry, got caught up with some stuff and forgot. I’ll text you tonight or something.”

Jack ran up to get his latte from Alex, smiled at me and then went back to sit down again. Alex started to eat his muffin, still standing at the side of the counter. I was kind of enjoying his company, it was relaxing.

“Did it have anything to do with why Taylor was screaming profanities and yelling at you before?” I nodded, thinking back to how Jay treated me earlier. I wanted to cry, but I held it back. “Do you wanna talk about it?”

“No..maybe..I don’t know. It’s complicated.” He nodded and sipped his coffee.

“Well you have my number if you need anything. Do you want a ride home?”

I smiled and nodded. Mine and Taylor’s shifts were over so we punched out and went to get our stuff from the staff room again. When we were there, I knew there was something on her mind.

“If you have anything else to say, may as well say it now before we go back to the guys.”

“Is there anything else Jared did that I should know about?” I sighed.

“I have a black eye. I’ve been using a shit ton of makeup.” She bit her lip, and looked so sad.

“Why did you never say anything? I’m your best friend, I would have helped you.”

“I didn’t know how to tell you. I thought you would pity me and think i’m a freak or something.”

“That is the LAST thing I would do. I’m here for you always. You’re gonna break up with him right?” She looked so hopeful.

“I don’t know Tay..I dont know if I can..”

“I’ll be there for you when you decide to. Until then, just don’t shut me out okay?”

She engulfed me in a hug, which I returned and smiled that I still had my best friend.

“Come on, the guys are waiting.”

We went outside where Alex and Jack were leaning against Alex’s car and got inside. The drive was left in a comfortable silence, only the music from the radio was softly playing. Alex dropped off Taylor, then Jack, leaving just the two of us in the car.

“So I’m sorry, but I’m really curious who Taylor wanted to kill.” I sighed. This is the last person I wanted to talk to this about.

“Um, I might tell you one day Alex. I just met you, I’m not ready to spill out my life story to you yet.” He nodded in understanding and kept driving.

“We’re friends right?” I was a little surprised at the question.

“Uh, sure? If you want to be my friend, then I guess we are.”

“Why wouldn’t I want to?”

“Incase you haven’t noticed, my life is a bit of a trainwreck.” I tried to joke, but failed.

“Just promise me something. Don’t keep things bottled up okay? It never does anyone anything good. You have Taylor, you have me and Jack, just call one of us.” He sounded sad, like there was a story behind what he was telling me.

“Alright. Thanks Alex.”

I directed him onto my street and he pulled into my driveway. I got out of the car and hugged him goodbye. Walking up the stairs to my house, I started thinking about the days events.
I went straight to my room, without so much as an “im home” to my parents. Taking out my phone, I scrolled through my contacts until I found Alex, and sent him a text letting him know it was me. Then I let the thoughts take over again.

‘Why am I with Jared? Because he loves me.Then why does he hurt me? Because I deserve it. Why don’t I eat? Because I’m fat. Is that Jared’s opinion or mine? Both. Why do I let him treat me like this? Because he’s the only one would stay with me and i’m nothing without him. But is it worth the pain?’

I thought about it long and hard before realizing I actually didn’t know. My phone vibrated, and when I checked it, there was a text message from Alex.

“Heya Wendy, I’m actually going to go to bed. I hope you feel better, I’ll see you tomorrow! Goodnight :)”

Smiling, I texted back a ‘good night’, and shut off my phone, crawling under the covers of my bed and drifting off into a dreamless sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not sure how I feel about this chapter haha let me know what you guys think? <3
Also, thanks for reading :)