Somewhere in Neverland

006

Sunday November 9th - 2pm.

When I woke up this morning, I was happy; happy that I had told Alex everything, happy that I realized I was attracted to Alex, happy that my life might get better. But on the ride back home, I spent the whole eight hours thinking I was terrified. Terrified that my life was going to change, terrified that Alex didn’t feel the same way, terrified that breaking up with Jared will make him hurt me..or worse, Alex.

“You alright? You haven’t said a word since we left.”

I looked up to see Alex staring at me through the rearview mirror. I nodded my head, and fake smiled to my best friend.

“I’m fine Tay, just tired. Worried about how i’m supposed to break up with Jared without him...well you know..”

I could see Alex’s knuckles turning white on the steering wheel.

“You do know we’re going to be there when you do so he won’t do anything right?” I nodded and rested my head against the window.

“But who’s to say he won’t? You guys don’t know him like I do.”

Alex suddenly pulled over on the side of the highway, and motioned for me to get out of the car, so I did. I followed him a few steps away, out of earshot from Taylor and Jack. I folded my arms across my chest, feeling how cold it was, and pulled up the hood of my jacket.

“You know it’s going to be okay? We’re going to be with you every step of the way, and if it makes you feel better, I’ll stand right next to you and stop him if he tries anything.”

“Will it, Lex? Will it really be okay? You have no idea how long he’s been like this, and how much it hurts. I was so afraid of him that I kept it hidden from my best friend! For over a year, A YEAR. I’ve told my parents but they just think i’m lying. So I’m sorry if I don’t believe it’ll be okay. I think it’ll be a fucking disaster. You wanna know why I got drunk yesterday in your car? Here.”

I don’t know what pushed me to open up to Alex like that. I pulled out my phone from my pocket and gave it to him, showing him the messages from Jared.

“Wendy...it’ll get better, i promise”

“How? How can you promise me something like that, without knowing what you’re getting yourself into?”

“Because I want to help you. Just trust me, okay?” He handed me my phone, and I could tell I was bout to cry, but I held it in, and nodded.

“Okay.”

And with that, he stepped closer, and wrapped his arms around me, letting me silently choke back my fears, We walked back to his car, with his arm wrapped around my shoulder for comfort. The rest of the ride was silent, except for Jack singing to the radio.

As we got closer to Alex’s house, I kept feeling sick to my stomach, with no idea as to why. I half expected to see Jared standing on Alex’s porch, ready to pounce, but he doesn’t know where Alex lives. I was snapped out of my thoughts by my phone vibrating. Without checking, I just answered the call.

“Hello?”

“I know you’re back today, where the fuck are you?” Fuck. I immediately hung up the phone and threw it on the seat beside me, but it bounced, and hit Taylor’s hand.

“What the hell?” As if on cue, Jared phoned again, and when Taylor saw his name flash across the screen, she picked up.

“WHERE ARE YOU WENDY.” I could hear him shouting.

“SHE’S AS FAR AWAY FROM YOU AS POSSIBLE, YOU FUCKING DICK.”

Jack spun around in his seat, startled by the sudden outburst. He mouthed out ‘Jared?’ to me, and I nodded while biting my nails as Taylor continued to yell over the phone at him, telling him to stay away from me, that he was a deadbeat loser and that I didn’t need him anymore. Alex pulled into his driveway, and we got out of the car, but Taylor was still on the phone.

“Dont call her again, she doesn’t want to speak to you.” She hung up the phone and tossed it back to me.

“I wouldn’t go home until later if I were you. If he knows you’re not home, it means he’s probably parked outside of it something.”

“You can stay here for a bit if you want. I’ll drop you off later.”

I turned to Alex and nodded. Jack walked over to his car that he left in Alex’s driveway and offered Taylor a lift home. She agreed, so I thanked her and then watched them drive down the road before heading inside Alex’s house. His parents weren’t home yet, so we went to his room to watch movies. Around 11, he fell asleep, and he looked so peaceful that I didn’t want to wake him. I texted my mom saying I was at Taylor’s for the night, then I turned off the TV, crawled under the covers and fell asleep next to him, wondering what tomorrow would bring.

---

Monday November 10th - 7am

“Alex wake up, we have school.”

I tried to shake him awake, but he would just roll over and keep snoring. Alright, drastic measures it is. I grabbed his electric guitar, plugged it into an amp, set it next to his bed, close but far enough away that he wouldn’t suffer from hearing loss. I raised the volume, and struck a few chords, making him jump up and fall off the bed.

“Fuck Wendy, what the hell?” I was on the floor, laughing hysterically.

“We have to go to school and you wouldn’t wake up.”

I unplugged the guitar and put it away, while he shook his head and went to the bathroom to get ready. He came out forty minutes later, showered, dressed and ready to go. In his car, he kept the radio low, but kept tapping on his steering wheel.

“I’m sorry I fell asleep last night, and didn’t drive you home.”

“It’s alright, I didn’t really want to go home. Not while knowing Jared might’ve been there.”

“You’re welcome to crash anytime. My mom’s fine with it.”

I smiled as he pulled into the parking lot and parked near the doors, next to Jack’s car. Jack was leaning against it, Taylor standing in front of him, and the rest of our friends standing around. The bell rang, so we all scurried inside, making our way to our seperate homerooms. Since mine was with Alex, I sat in front of him and turned on my phone, scanning through my messages. Surprise, 3 from Jared.

[You didn’t go home last night. Shacking up with Alex?]
[Guess you are, whore. I’m not done with you.]
[I’ll see you soon, Wendy..]

I took a deep breath, and shut it off again, ignoring the messages. I listened to the announcements for once, especially when there was one about the upcoming football game. I remembered Alex was on the team, and I made a point to go to the game tonight and surprise him.

--

At lunch, I decided to go out for a smoke, Jack and Taylor joining me for company.

“Any news from Jared? I know something’s up if you’re smoking.”

“He called me a whore. And then said ‘I’ll see you soon.’; whatever that means..” I exhaled smoked, reaching the end of the cigarette.

“Uhh….Wendy?”

“Yeah Jack?”

“Uh….does Jared drive a red car?”

“Yeah why?” I flicked the remainder of it onto the concrete, and pulled up my hood.

“He’s here.” I heard a car door slam, and looked up to see a very pissed off Jared heading our way.

“Get Alex.” I mumbled, and Taylor sprinted off to the school in search of Alex. Jack stuck by my side as Jared approached. There was no use running, Jared was faster.

“So you tell me NOTHING, you leave town, and don’t go home, and now I find you hanging out with this douchebag? Who the fuck is this anyways? Better not be Alex.”

“No I’m Jack actually.” Is he trying to get himself killed?

“I wasn’t talking to you.” He sneered at Jack.

“Jared I want to...I don’t want to be with you anymore. I’m tired of you hurting me.”

“I need to speak to you alone then.”

“Nah, not in this lifetime.” Jack stated, but it only caused Jared to lunge forward to try and grab my upper arm, ready to drag me away. But he didn’t get the chance to actually grab me, because Alex had appeared from behind me and shoved him away.

“Fuck off and leave her alone.”

“You must be Alex.” He smirked, like Alex was nothing to him.

“I am. Whatever you have to say to Wendy, you’re gonna have to say it with me around because after what you’ve done to her, I’m not letting you near her alone. .”

They stared each other down for a few moments. Rian and Zack appeared from the school with Taylor, I guess she went to find them too. Thank god. They may have no idea whats going on, but I know they have Alex’s back, even if it’s on my account.

“Well alright then.” He turned to face me. “Wendy, you’re a fucking whore. You are a fat, worthless piece of shit, and aren’t good at anything. If you keep hanging around these fags, your life will still amount to nothing. Judging by the amount of bruises i’ve given you, i’d say you’re weak and you -”

He didn’t get the chance to finish because Alex’s fist had connected with his jaw, which was now most likely broken. I was listening so intently to Jared’s words, I hadn’t realized how tense Alex had gotten, and I wondered what it was that provoked him to punch Jared. I stood there shocked as Alex continued to throw punches at Jared, and had tackled him to the ground, continuing to punch him. I had never seen this side of Alex before. It wasn’t until Zack pulled him off of Jared, that anybody spoke.

“If you come anywhere near Wendy again, I will fucking end your life.” Woah.

He spat on Jared’s body and started walking towards his car, his fists still balled up in rage. Everyone just stood around, not knowing what to do or say. I walked up to Jared, who was trying to stand up.

“It’s over, I’m done. Don’t call me.”

Then I ran after Alex, who was about to open his car door. He didn’t even see me running towards him, he just got inside and started the engine. I got to the car just in time, pulling open the passenger door and getting inside. He peeled out of the parking lot and drove to his house in silence. Once we got there, we just sat in his car, with the engine shut off and the radio softly playing.

“Alex? Talk to me. What’s going through your mind?” His hands were still gripping the steering wheel. At first, he didn’t speak a word, he just sat there with his hood pulled over his head.

“I...I’ve never lost my temper like that…” His voice trailed off, as he stared down at his lap.

“Why did you?”

“The things he was saying….they just…I don’t know. They got under my skin and...I just...lost it..”

Hesitantly, I reached out and put my hand on his shoulder. He flinched at first, still on edge from the fight, but relaxed at the touch, letting go of the steering wheel.

“Why did they get to you?”

“You don’t deserve to be treated like that, be called those names. None of what he said is true, and I hope you know it. You can do so much better than him Wendy, you just don’t see it. Or refuse to.”

I started nervously tapping my foot, and biting my lip. What was he getting at?

“That’s just it Alex. Jared is all I’ve ever known since I was fourteen. He was eighteen when we met. Everything was great at first, but for the past year, he’s changed. I don’t think anyone could ever go for a girl like me. I’m ugly, i’m fat, i’m worthless. You heard him.”
His eyes went wide, and he looked completely shocked at what I’d just told him.

“Are you serious? You’re going to believe him? You have no idea what he’s done to you do you? It’s almost like fucking stockholm syndrome. He’s got you believing you’re something you’re not. You are the complete opposite of everything he said you are. You’re not fat, you’re almost anorexic and it scares me, along with everyone else. You’re not ugly, you’re beautiful and just blinded by the lies he’s been feeding you. You’re not worthless, you’re worth so much more than you know. And you think nobody would go for a girl like you? You’re wrong about that too. Please stop believing his lies Wendy, they’re just hurting you even more. But the sad part about that, is that it also hurts your friends, hurts me.”

I looked up at him, my hand still resting on his shoulder, and found so many emotions spread across his face. Fear, anger, sadness, concern..I didn’t know what to make of this.

“Alex…”

“Promise me.”

“What?”

“Promise me you’ll stop believing his lies. Promise me you won’t see him again, that if he comes near you, I will be the one you trust. Promise me you won’t hold anything back from me, or any of our friends. Promise me that everything I just said wasn’t in vain, that it actually means something to you.”

“Why? Why do you care so much about me? I’ve known you for like two weeks.”

“Because….because I think I’m starting to fall for you. Hard.”

He let out a deep breath, like he’s been holding that in for a while. I leaned in closer and brought him in for a hug. There were so many thoughts floating around on my head right now, but all I cared about, was Alex.

“I might be falling for you too.”

“I just need you to promise. For the sake of my sanity, please.”

“I promise.” I whispered in his ear.

Little does he know, I’ve never been able to keep a promise before. I hope I can keep this one, for the sake of our friendship.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was watching the Straight to DVD live show while writing this haha so much fun. Hope you guys like this one.