Sprinkle of Magic

Chapter Ten

The next two days were relatively normal. Maerin woke up, went to school, met Ardan for lessons, then went to the Shop to help out Celine. She found that she actually liked it there. She felt at home surrounded by the books and herbs. Since there was hardly ever anyone in, Maerin spent most of her time reading, trying to find anything that could help them with the oncoming storm. The second day, the overhead bell interrupted her reading. Without looking up, she put on her best grin. "Welcome to Ye Olde Magick, feel free to take a look around and let me know if you need anything." The response she got wasn't one she'd been expecting.

"Why are you here?" Her head snapped up at the voice, her voice catching in his throat. She stumbled over her words before she finally gave up, and looked back down at her book. "Celine told me to come watch the shop, so you can leave." The harshness in his voice cut her deep, but she pushed away the stupid emotion as she slid the book back under the counter, brushing past Niall without a word.

As soon as she was outside, she let out a frustrated sigh. None of this was her fault, but Niall kept acting like she was plague. He avoided her in school, even went so far as to calling her out on being a bad friend in Literature. That hadn't ended well. Some choice words were said on both parts, and Maerin found herself storming out and going to the Headmaster's office. Why did he make her so crazy? Her miserable life had been perfectly fine without him coming in with his perfect blonde hair and gorgeous blue eyes. He broke down her walls, and she let him, even if she hid the fact. She clenched her fists, shouting out loud as she punched the light post next to her. Pain shot through her still sore hands, but she ignored it as she walked to her car. Better to punch something that can't hit you back, her mother had always said.

She tried her best to calm herself before she got home, and it worked for a while. As soon as she was home she ran into the house to finish up her homework before changing out of her uniform and running over to the bakery. The last few days had been crazy, and all she wanted to do was curl up and sleep, but she knew that couldn't happen. There was just too much to do. Her grandfather had already started collecting what was needed for the potion, Ailbe had been cleaning the house like crazy for Michelle at the end of the week. Ardan was constantly with the tree when he wasn't giving her lessons. Everything had just gone crazy. Sometimes, Maerin would sit and wonder what everyone would be doing if she had never moved back. Would her grandfather and Ailbe be smiling as much? Would Ardan spend every second with the tree? Would Niall be walking down the street holding hand of some random girl he chased around for weeks? The last image in her head made her cringe, so she shook it from her mind as she finished up her maths.

By the time it was all done, her grandfather and Ailbe were coming back from the bakery. She felt guilty. She'd promised to help him. Of course, he understood, but she couldn't help but feel bad about going back on her promise. Her phone ringing pulled her from her thoughts. "Hello? Celine? What do you mean someone threatened him? Who?" Her eyes narrowed when she heard the next sentence. "Of course she did. I'll handle it, Celine. No. You have no reason to worry. No! Don't bring him here. Alright. I'll see you tomorrow. Wait, I can't. I have to help at the bakery. Come by when you close up the shop. Bye." She hung up the phone and promptly threw it across the room before rushing to grab it, texting Ardan. No one asked any questions until the boy came through the front door.

"What happened?" Maerin sat down at the kitchen, trying her best not to pull her hair out.

"Talia." The name caused Ardan to tense, as well as her grandfather. "Apparently she showed up to the shop a bit after I left and threatened Niall." Before anyone could interrupt or ask how, she continued. "She said that Celine wouldn't be around much longer if he kept talking to me." Her hands clenched into fists, but she kept her happy thoughts in her head, she didn't need to break anything in the house. "She's gone too far. I knew she was a bitch, but this is a whole new level of crazy." Her grandfather flinched at her language, but she was too angry to care at that point. "I'm going over there." She'd finally decided, standing up from the table. Ardan grabbed her arm, though.

"Don't. If she's threatening him to that level, it has to be serious. You can't just go running in there." Maerin's fists clenched tighter as she yanked out of his grasp, shouting in anger.

"What am I supposed to do? She threatened two of my friends in one! The only friends I have, need I remind you!" She instantly regretted the shouting and she shrunk back a bit, almost curling into herself. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to shout." She whispered out the words, and Ardan was at her side in a second, pulling her in for a hug.

"It's alright. You're frustrated. I understand. Why don't you go try to sleep? Maybe that will help you." Maerin nodded, pulling away from him and going straight upstairs. She slammed the door behind her, trying to let off a little steam, but nothing seemed to be working. Finally, she let herself fall to her knees before she pulled out her phone she'd retrieved once Ardan got there. She typed in Celia's number and listened to it ring and ring. When no one answered, she didn't think anything of it, just tried to call again. When there was no answer the second time, panic started to set in. She shoved her phone back into her pocket and ran down the stairs, hastily running into the kitchen to grab her jacket. "What happened?"

She whipped her head to the blonde who was still sitting at the kitchen table. "Celine's not picking up her phone." He noted the worry in her eyes and stood, pulling on his own coat.

"I'll drive." She nodded before she pushed through the front door, sliding into the passenger seat of her car. Ardan slid in after her, starting up the engine and pulling out of the drive. He sped almost the whole way there, and Maerin had a death grip on the door handle. When they approached, an uneasy feeling settled in the pit of her stomach.

"Ardan...The gate's opened." He noticed it as well and punched the gas, speeding up the drive. When they reached the circle he pulled the e-brake and slammed on the breaks, causing the car to drift around the center fountain before skidding to a halt. Maerin was out of the car in a second, running up to the house. "Ardan!" She shouted and the boy was by her side. The front door was wide open, the interior pitch black. Maerin pulled out her cellphone and turned on her flashlight app. Ardan did the same with his, and they slowly entered the house. "Celine?" She whisper yelled the word, repeatedly calling the girls name before she heard movement coming from a room to her left. She slapped Ardan's shoulder and pointed to it. He nodded and took the lead. They kept their lights low as they peeked into the room. She heard a gasp from the ground and didn't hesitate to shine her light to the area she heard it from. She let out her own gasp, dropping her phone before running to Celine's side, dropping down to her knees. "Celine!" The girl was on her back, her shirt torn up, blood soaking through by her stomach. "No, no, no. What happened?!" Celine opened her mouth to speak, but only a bubble of blood came out. "Dammit! Ardan, call an ambulance, tell them to hurry!" He nodded and did as she asked while she ran her hands through Celine's hair. "You're gonna be okay. We'll take care of you." Something hit her, then, causing her blood to run cold. "Celine..Where's Niall?" The broken girls hand lifted, pointing to the ceiling. "Ardan will stay with you. You'll be fine, I promise." She didn't even wait for Ardan's approval as she bolted out of the room and up the stairs, trying to listen for movement.

As she crept along the hallway, her light low, she heard a yell to her left. She didn't hesitate. "Niall!' She shouted his name before shining her light in the direction the sound came from. She tried to wiggle the handle of the door, but it wouldn't budge. She sucked in a breath before she rammed it with her shoulder. It took a few tries, but finally it pushed open. The lights were on in the room, and Maerin had to shield her eyes for a moment before she saw the room. Niall was against the wall, the Shadow hovering over him. His feet were off of the ground and his face was turning blue. "Let him go." She hissed out the words, but the Shadow didn't move.

"Now why would I do that?" The voice to her right came out of nowhere, and she had no time to brace herself from the blast of energy that hit her, sending her flying across the room, the only thing that stopped her was the wall her shoulder hit. She groaned out in pain as she rolled onto her back. "Poor little Maerin, thinking she can save the world. I'm going to let you in on a little secret. You can't win." Maerin forced her eyes up, narrowing them at the figure that was slowly coming into focus. What she saw shocked her. Without thinking, she held out her hand, focusing all of her energy into it. She aimed it at the girl in front of her, before she turned towards the shadow, the light instantly pooling from her hand. The Shadow screamed in pain, letting Niall down. The girl to her right screamed in frustration, sending another blast of energy at her. This time, Maerin hit the wall with her face. She was crumpled against the ground, the sound of high heels on wood growing closer. Maerin took her opportunity to act, and she used all of her strength to swing her leg out, sweeping under the girls legs. She promptly fell to the ground with a loud thud, groaning. Maerin tried her best to stand, but she was a bit wobbly, and her glasses were broken, so her vision was a bit blurry.

She stood over the girl, not caring that blood from her nose was dripping onto the girl. "Plot twist; I will stop you." She hissed out the words before her legs gave out. She fell a few feet away from the girl, staring up at the ceiling. She heard the other girl moving before crackling filled her ears. She used what little strength she had left to turn her head, groaning when she saw the girl was gone. She really needed to learn how to do this. "N-Niall." She groaned out his name, not having the strength to turn her head back. "Wake up. Please." Her last words faded as darkness consumed her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you like it, yet?! I hope you do! Just as a side not, Part One is almost over! WOO! Now, since this is the unedited version, pretty soon the POV is going to change, so don't yell at me about that in the comments, because I am aware. I wanted to get the entire story done before I went through and changed it up. MUCH LOVE <3