Status: Work in progress

Antichrist

Four

By the time dinner rolled around, I had spent most of the day meeting the people that kept the compound up and running. So many faces and stories about how they joined one by one. Rick gave me the duty of resting until dinner but I really wanted to do something. I was restless. It wasn't until I had actually began put names to faces that I really got the whole dynamic of who was who here. Carl gave me the rundown.

“So that’s Carol,” he said pointing to the lady giving out meals. She was pretty, with short gray hair and green eyes. She ladled soup into a bowl for me and smiled.

“And who do we have here?” She asked Carl and I.

I smiled politely. “My name is Dana.”

“Well, sweetheart, welcome. Here you go,” she said as she handed me the bowl and got another for the boy behind me.

I thanked her and followed Carl down to sit where Rick and the group that went out earlier sat. Hershel and the others from the tower were there too.

“Well Making another run downtown for medical supplies is necessary so after you check for food and ammo, make sure to head back for the pharmacy,” I heard him bark out.

I took a seat next to Carl. He had basically become my guide around here, and for the time being, a friend.

“Hey, you! How ‘ya feeling?” Rick asked me. I nodded and sipped the soup from my spoon. then I flashed a thumbs up, which caused him to smile, but then he went back to the group.

“We haven’t explored the southeast part yet, but that can be done after first check in.” The way he spoke was so convincing and authoritative. It was a no-brainer that he could lead the small band.

The man with the bow and arrow nodded and then took a seat again. They all sat around and ate and made small talk amongst each other until I asked Rick a question.

“So, about that run tomorrow,” I started. “I figured I could go too maybe? You know, to help out?”

Everyone looked at me like I had just spoken gibberish.

“That’s far too dangerous for you,’ Hershel said. Rick nodded in agreeance, and the rest of the group sat silent as to not meddle in what was going on. Carl just stared at me in awe.

“It’s just that… I know those medical supplies are going to me. Not only that, but you’re housing me and feeding me, hell you’re caring for me. I’d at least like to earn my keep.”

Having made my point, I sank back into myself. Sighing, I ate more soup and stole a piece of Carl’s cornbread while he was distracted.

“You know, I think she makes a good point,” Daryl, the guy with the bow and arrow said. “She wants to work, we let her. You good with a gun, little miss?”

“My leg is messed up, not my trigger finger,” I snapped back. He looked impressed with my wit. "and my name is Dana... not little miss."

“She’s good in my book. I say she goes.” Daryl patted me on the back and went back to his spot.

“Dad,” Carl spoke up. “If you’re that worried, I could go too, I promise I’ll keep and eye on her.”

There was a beat before Rick sighed and shrugged.

“Well all right. If you really want to go, I won’t stop you. They’re gassing up and leaving at 7 am sharp.”

“Great,” I said smiling in triumph. “I guess that means I should get some rest. Thanks for today. Nice meeting all of you too.” Carl rushed up beside me.

“I’ll help her to her cell. I should probably be sleeping too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
After the next part, I'll probably be posting once a week on Fridays. I just had to get it totally running first. I really hope you like it :)