Radiate

prologue.

The Jennings were a small and close family. Charlie Jennings was a 46-year-old single father. He was quite the hard worker, he owned a construction company. He worked long days and came home to his two children, Colby and Camden. Colby was the oldest, extremely outgoing, 19 years old and always on the waves when not in school. Camden was his younger sister, 17, thoughtful and creative. It had not always been the three of them, but it sure felt like it had been. Amelia Jennings passed away when Colby was 12 and Camden was days away from turning 10. Immediately, the three of them clung to each other, trying to be strong. Charlie decided to pack up and move his family back to the small coastal town of Citrusville, California where he was born and raised.

When Charlie graduated high school, he moved to Hawaii to pursue a career in professional surfing. That lasted about five years, before he met Amelia and she told him she was pregnant. He then decided to start a business, in hopes of being a good father and providing for his family. Things were perfect in their small island town, up until Amelia was struck with cancer. Charlie was crushed. Colby was angry. Camden was not old enough to fully comprehend the potential tragedy looming over her family’s heads.

When Amelia died, Charlie decided to pack up his family and move back to his hometown of Citrusville, California. Citrusville was a small, coastal town where fifty years ago the main industry was citrus groves. The founders were not very creative in their choice of names. Now, it has blossomed into a typical suburban town. There are two grocery stores, a couple of chain restaurants, and a brand new mall. The American dream. Colby and Camden loved the change, as much as they adored Hawaii, California was filled with so many more possibilities. Not to mention, Disneyland. Overall, Citrusville was a good place for the Jennings children to grow up, just like their father did. Charlie bought a modest house that backed up to the beach, and was walking distance from where his parents lived. He had taught his kids to surf at an early age, and wanted them to have the familiarity of the waves to provide them comfort in their new home.

The Jennings fit right in. The move was easy, Colby and Camden started school right away and thrived. Charlie had no problem starting up his construction business and recruiting a few friends from high school to help him get it moving. Charlie’s parents, George and Linda would help out by picking up the kids and making dinner for them the nights Charlie had to work late. They drifted into a routine, one that would last the next seven years without much interruption. Colby befriend a boy named Sammy, and immediately they were the best of friends, spending all of their time surfing together. Camden bonded with a quiet girl named Sadie, both of them sat in the back of the classroom and passed notes as the teachers went on about books they had already read.

As the Jennings children grew up, their differences became more prevalent but they never lost the bond the three of them shared. Colby became a trouble maker in school, sneaking out at night, skipping class, and getting detention. Camden was the opposite, straight A’s and honor roll every year. She was involved in tons of clubs and the president of different organizations, but still managed to make time to surf as much as possible. Things were great. The Jennings were well known in Citrusville, and well liked. Charlie was a good guy, with a business that helped create jobs for the community. Colby was trouble, but still a sweet kid, no one could deny how kind he was. Camden was kind and genuine. The Jennings were beloved in the small town of Citrusville, California.

Yet when tragedy stuck the Jennings, it struck hard with strong and unforgiving force.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so very very very excited about this story. I hope somebody enjoys it.