Radiate

one.

“Colby Jennings was a great kid. Love and adored by so many. Thank you all for taking time to be here to pay your respects. Please continue to support the Jennings in this time of need, keep them in your thoughts, prayers and in in your hearts.” The local pastor spoke before stepping away. People were gathered around the beach, Charlie Jennings in the middle, holding back tears as he thanked friends and family for coming. Colby’s favorite place was the beach, and the Jennings decided the best place to have the memorial was in their backyard, which lead right up to the ocean.

Camden Jennings had retreated to the hammock situated between two trees, far enough to the side to be out of the direct line of vision of relatives too willing to give hugs and have casual conversation. Camden leaned back into the hammock, taking in her surroundings. This is what Colby would have wanted. A memorial service set in their backyard, only a few feet from the beach and songs right off of his personal playlist were playing softly in the background. Charlie set up a tent in the grass, under it was a table filled with a sushi bar. All of it was proudly put together by Charlie’s mother, Linda, in honor of Colby’s favorite food. Amongst all the local relatives and neighbors, Camden could spot of some of his friends from college that were here. Most of them stopped to say hello to Camden and give her a hug, all sharing their sentiments. Colby had picked up throughout his first year of college. So many neighbors and people who lived in Citrusville were there too, leaving Camden and Charlie shocked. Citrusville was a small community, one that had the feel of a small southern town.

Camden was drawn from her thoughts when her best friend, Sadie Williams headed her way. Sadie was wearing a long black maxi dress tied in a knot mid-shin to keep from dragging in the dirt, her long dark hair was pulled back in an intricate braid. Camden and Sadie became friends when the Jennings first moved to California and have been inseparable ever since. Behind Sadie trailed Drew Peterson, their third musketeer. Drew had on a loose fitting blue dress shirt, a tie hung around his neck loosely and his khaki pants rolled up above his ankles, bare feet. Camden could not remember the last Drew wore a tie. The pair met Drew their freshmen year – he was new and in their marine biology class – they went surfing together and he’s been around ever since, like he had been their friend since they were all in elementary school.

“You doing alright?” Sadie asked, falling into the hammock beside Camden, resting her head on her shoulder. Drew leaned against the tree next to them, the same look mirrored on his face as Sadie’s. They both knew how close Colby and Camden were, and they knew for a fact that she was not alright. Losing a loved one is never easy, everyone knew that. Colby and Camden were best friends. For Charlie, his kids were his everything. Some would expect the Jennings to be equipped to deal with death by now, but if anything, it has only gotten harder for Camden and her father.

“Yeah, I’m good.” Camden reaffirmed with a slight nod. Sadie nodded in response, at a loss for any words or actions that could make the situation any easier on her friend. Sadie and Drew were crushed when they heard the news of Colby’s passing. Camden showed up at Drew’s house late one evening, asked him to call Sadie and cried on his back porch for an hour. Only hours before did Charlie get a call informing him there had been an accident and Colby was driving. A woman under the influence blew through a red light, as Colby was turning. Both cars collide and both drivers die on impact. It was late at night, nobody else was on the road, ambulances weren’t called till it was too late. Colby was on his way home from a friend’s house upstate. Camden was always the tough friend, didn’t cry when she broke her arm or anytime she busted up her knees falling from her skateboard. Camden always seemed like she could handle anything life threw her way. Sadie had never seen her best friend so broken before.

“Look who’s chatting up Charlie.” Drew spoke, nodding in the direction of Britty, Colby’s (ex-)girlfriend. Britt was the opposite of Colby. Colby was easy going and always looking to have a good time. Britt was high maintenance but had a sweet side. They seemed to balance each other out. Britt moved to their high school her junior year, and ended up going to the same college as Colby, which Camden speculated was the only reason why their relationship lasted as long as it did. The on again and off again tendencies of their relationship were hard to keep up with. They were off (again) when Colby died, but Britt does not let that phase her. Camden liked her, and so did her Charlie, because Britt was sweet and seemed to care about Colby. There Britt stood talking to Charlie, with her mother, the mayor of Citrusville stood behind her, hand resting on Britt’s shoulder.

“God, I can’t believe she can make literally anything be about herself.” Drew said, looking back towards his friends with an eye roll. Drew never liked Britt, always said he could not trust her because her parents worked for the government. He always did not like the fact she was so different from Colby. Britt hated the beach, Colby was constantly sandy and always smelt like saltwater. Camden just shrugged at her friend’s comment, feeling indifferent. Everyone knew the way that Britt liked to focus on herself. “Great, now she’s coming over here.” The three of them watched as Britt hugged Charlie and then started to head in the direction of the hammock, occasionally being stopped by familiar faces who greeted her and told her how they expected Britt and Colby to be together forever. Camden knew her brother well enough to know that Britt was not his forever plan.

“She’s not that bad, Drew.” Camden offered and Drew shook his head. He never liked Britt, there was no point in trying to change his mind.

“Hey guys,” Britt began, offering a practiced smile. “Can I talk to you for a sec, Camden?” She asked, causing Sadie and Drew’s defensives mechanisms to shoot into high gear. Ever since they found out about Colby’s death, they have stepped up and have made it their mission to protect Camden from anything, even the ex-girlfriend of her deceased brother.
“Yeah, sure, okay.” Camden said, standing up to follow Britt over a couple of feet to be out of earshot of her overly protective friends. Camden was unsurprised by how well put together Britt looked, never once had she seen her not impeccably dressed or without makeup. Today, Britt was wearing a well-fitting short sleeved black dress and a pair of black heeled sandals. Her makeup was impeccable, as usual, her eyelids were painted were gray and smoky and outlined by a thick and sharp wing. She stood tall and confident, offering Camden a soft smile, her lips a subtle pink. Around her neck rested the gold necklace with a small pearl resting in the middle that Colby had given her for her birthday this past year, Camden remembered helping him pick it out. Camden felt inferior to Britt, in her much more casual and plain dress, barefoot and hardly any makeup. Just some mascara, lip balm, and concealer under her eyes to hide the dark circles, more so for Charlie’s sake. Her long blond hair was practically white from all the time she spent outside and always tangled. Her usual long and wavy hair had been pulled back into a loose fishtail braid, done by Sadie earlier this morning. Her feet were sandy and her eyes were tired. It was moments like this when she remembered that Britt’s parents were politicians. She was raised to know how to be presentable at all times, as if someone important is always watching. Maybe they were when your parents were important.

“I just wanted to tell you that I’m here for you if you need anything.” Britt said, reaching over and grabbing Camden’s arm. “We weren’t close or anything, but I’d like it if we could be. Colby meant a lot to me, and you meant a lot to him. I think it would be good for us.” She said, smile on her lips. She seemed genuine, but bonding with her brother’s ex-girlfriend was the last thing Camden needed right now. “He always talked about how close you guys were, and with your dad too. Being friends will help us remember him, you know? Even though we were broken up I still cared about him, so much.”

“Yeah Britt, sure. Whatever is coolt.” Camden said with a nod and a forced smile.

“Oh that makes me so happy, Camden.” Britt said, reaching over and grabbing her hands, Camden just nodded and smiled, arms tense. “We should get brunch soon, I’ll text you.” She exclaimed, leaning forward and embracing Camden in a hug. Once the gesture registered with Camden, she placed her arms around her to reciprocate. Once released, they exchanged goodbyes and Camden retreated to her hammock with her friends.

“Well that looked...” Drew began, looking between Camden and Britt, who stood talking to some older people that lived on Camden’s street.

“Weird.” Camden confirmed, falling back into the hammock with Sadie, who let out a small laugh. Sadie and Drew had hardly left Camden’s side since they found out almost two weeks ago. Drew met Camden every morning with coffee and they would surf. Sadie would meet up with them on her lunch break, usually bringing guacamole from the Mexican restaurant she worked at. Then Camden and Drew would go pick up Drew’s younger sisters from their summer camp, and take them to the park and skate while the girls played on the swings, sometimes stopping for ice cream. Then Camden would go home and make sure things were clean before Charlie got home from work. Shortly after, Sadie showed up nearly every night with dinner her mom had cooked for Camden and Charlie, and Drew usually showed up shortly after to eat dinner with them and hang out till late at night. Then repeat the next day, and the next. Charlie liked having them around, he appreciated the way they kept Camden’s mind off of Colby. Charlie also liked how much Drew reminded him of Colby, and the way in which Sadie could make Camden laugh about almost anything.

“She wanted to go get brunch.” Camden said, fingers fumbling with the small necklace around her neck.

“That’s our thing though.” Sadie said and Drew laughed.

“I know!” Camden said with a nod. “I’m not sure I want to go get brunch with Miss. Perfect right now. The last thing I want is her trying to tell me how I should be living my life or consider joining a sorority like she did as soon as I start college.” Camden said and her friends nodded in agreement.

“So, are we still good for a bonfire? Is Charlie cool with it?” Drew asked, looking over at Camden, who nodded.

“Yeah, he doesn’t care. We’re good.” Camden confirmed and Drew grinned.

“Sick.” He said with a nod as Sadie rolled her eyes at him, slinging an arm around Camden’s shoulders as Camden rested her head against hers, eyes closing as she let out a sigh. “No way!” Drew said loudly, pulling Camden out of her thoughts of brunch with Britt. Sadie and Camden watched as Drew pulled himself up from the hammock with a wide grin on his lips. They watched as he excited moved to go embrace a tall blond man.

“Is that-?” Camden nodded before Sadie could even finish the question. She would recognize that boy anywhere. Camden and Sadie stood up and followed Drew to greet him. Sammy Eckerd. Camden had not seen him in six months, the longest time ever spent not seeing him since moving to California. Sammy was Colby’s best friend, from day one after moving to California. Colby went out with Charlie to surf, and meet another boy his age, from that day forward, he and Sammy were inseparable. Up until six months ago when Sammy spent the semester traveling abroad.

“Hey guys.” He smiled, Sadie moved forward to hug him and asked about his semester abroad. Before answering, he started at Camden for a moment of hesitation, before stepping forward and embracing her in a tight hug. Camden could feel Sadie’s weary eyes as she wrapped her arms around Sammy and reciprocated the hug. When Sammy went abroad to New Zealand, he stopped talking to Camden. She hadn’t heard from him since he left, not even a text when news broke about Colby.

“What took you so long?”
♠ ♠ ♠
nice lil rewrite coming ya way