Status: Updates will be as frequent as possible, almost daily.

Give It a Year

Chapter 10 - The Quidditch Match

The few days that littered past were anything but relaxing for me, with this business about Mrs Norris and the Chamber of Secrets and now trying to hoax Professor Snape into letting us take some ingredients for a highly illegal potion would get me expelled for sure. I tried to focus on me for that short period although I knew after hearing the supposed ‘myth’ of the Chamber of Secrets could be anything but good for some students. And beside our first Quidditch match was today, versing the Slytherin’s of course.

“You nervous?” Harry asked as I picked up Cedrics broom, I wrote to dad asking for one so that if Hufflepuff and Gryffindor go head to head we wouldn’t need to worry about a broom stick problem. I nodded, “Yeah a little bit, Slytherin are dirty players so I doubt this match could end well for me.” My heart rate was above normal, I was pacing because I needed the toilet, preferably to vomit. “Ah don’t worry Valora!-.”

“We’ll protect you.” Fred and George piped in, I smiled faintly.
“Alright team, lets win this.” Oliver commanded as we walked onto the pitch to be greeted by the cheers of the school. Madam Hootch stood centre as both our teams walked to her. “Alright, I want a nice clean game. On my whistle… 3…2….1!” she blew the whistle and we were off. It was intense, nothing the training Oliver put us through, “Diggory!” Katie bell threw the Quaffle, I caught it and sped off throwing it to Angelina Johnson, who threw it back to me and I threw it into the goals with all my might.

Marcus Flint, captain of the Slytherin team and chaser finally decided he wanted to play dirty. He wants a dirty match I’ll give him one. “Johnson!” I shouted, I was in the free to catch the Quaffle, she rushed past me being chased by two Slytherin chasers. “Blimey, here we go.” I dipped the broom downward accelerating fast and brought it back up just in time to ram a member of the Slytherin team away from Angelina. She passed the ball and I sped off with it, I slowed when I reached the twins, “When the bludger comes hit it at Flint, make sure no one see you!” I shouted and sped off throwing another goal.

It was all chaos in the air, Angelina got knocked off her broom there was a rogue bludger in the air chasing Harry and it almost hit my broom. I raced around with Katie, throwing as much goals as we could. Flint hit the final straw and hit a bludger into Oliver. “Wood!” I shouted as he fell from the top of the goal posts. “For god sakes.” I mutter, with no keeper Slytherin would earn points. I stood post as the keeper while Oliver was whisked away. With only one chaser now trying to earn the points it seemed doubtful that we’d win this match, until Harry the brilliant kid caught the snitch. “oh thank goodness.” I sighed and lowered my broom to the pitch. Harry was curled on the ground, he took a nasty hit from the bludger. After Lockhart attempted to fix his broken arm, he was whisked off to the infirmary just like Oliver.

The twins and I rejoiced, “Well done on your first game-.” “couldn’t have done it better Diggory!!” I smiled and they ruffled my hair. I whacked the two on the shoulder and pointed at Marcus yelling at Draco. “This really is a great day-.” “Better tell Harry.” I didn’t think I could meet any more identical twins than Fred and George, they even finished each other’s sentences, if not said them in unison. We happily rejoiced on the journey to the Hospital Wing, “Harry! Are you alright?” I asked as a ran to his bed. “well I’m not dead.” I rolled my eyes, Hermione and Ron were already by his bed side, “You should’ve seen Malfoy’s face when you caught the snitch, he looked ready to kill I reckon.” I laughed a little.

“We just seen Marcus yelling at him.” Fred piped in, “Wasn’t happy Draco hadn’t noticed the snitch practically on top of his head.” Piped George. We all practically celebrated, that was until Madam Pomfrey yelled at us to get out. “I must say you do know how to keep a cool mind in a time of crisis. Oliver might thank you once he’s conscious.” Hermione smiled, I remembered just like last year how well I dealt with life threatening situations. “or not..” George trailed off, “He could kick you off the team for being a better keeper.” Fred finished and the two laughed. I frowned, “I doubt it, I didn’t want Slytherin scoring any points they didn’t deserve.” That was a main reason that and I was angry and ready to kick some Slytherin Butt. “You did well either way Valora.” Ron piped in, smiling. “Why don’t you try out, I’m sure there’ll be openings next year?”

“He wants to play keeper, but while Oliver still comes here no one’s stealing that privilege off him.” Fred explained. Us five marched into the Gryffindor Common room, I was just about ready for bed, but I knew Nyx must walk. “Well I’ll see you guys, come ‘ere Nyx.” I called out for Nyx and she came trotting a long. She was nearly just about full grown, which meant she probably couldn’t sleep inside the castle for much longer.

She followed me down to the courtyard where I usually let her roam, I might even walk down to Hagrid’s. “Diggory!” I whip my head around, I should have known that it was Malfoy. “What.” I replied with, he was still in his Quidditch Uniform, as was I. “Uh, nice stuff out there on the field.” I raised an eyebrow, what did this prat want? “Yeah, is this going anywhere? Because whatever you need to say, say it.” I rushed him, he was particularly getting on my last nerve.

He didn’t say anything just smirked, next thing I know my arms were held back and I couldn’t move. Crabbe and Goyle, why did I not see this coming, he planned it well, no one in the courtyard.. well played. I attempted to pull my arms away but clearly I was half the size of both Crabbe and Goyle so no use. “I don’t appreciate you trying to threaten me, I’m not scared of you, your just a girl.” Was that all the weasel wanted to muster up? I chuckled, “uh-huh, see, if you weren’t scared of me you’d face me yourself, a coward sends his henchmen to do his bidding.” He got angered by that comment, “Well..” he was frustrated, “Aren’t you at least angry?”

“You expect me to be angry? Well sorry, I’m not your person.” I shrugged coolly, It wasn’t until I hadn’t notice Nyx was gone until she slowly stalked Draco from behind. Crabbe and Goyle took one glance and ran off, letting my arms go. “you see what that is?” I pointed at the two fat idiots running away, “they’re not your friends, and I actually feel sorry for you because in all reality you don’t have friends. At the end of the day, would they really back you up in a time of need?” I walked over to Nyx and continued, “it’s time you see what you really are and what your.. ‘friends’ truly are.” I walked off at that, simply and didn’t look back.