Status: Updates will be as frequent as possible, almost daily.

Give It a Year

Chapter 11 - The Beast that Lies Within

As I promised my dad and Cedric, I went home for the Christmas break, as much as Hermione, Ron and Harry didn’t want me too. I told them I’d write to them if I find out any more information on the Chamber of Secrets. It so happened that my Dad attended school the same year Lucius Malfoy did, in then nothing happened nor any events like this year. I wrote to them what dad exactly told me, I knew it wouldn’t put Harry at ease, not since the double attack on Justin Finch-Fletchley and Sir Nicholas. So that means someone else must’ve opened but who?

When I returned to Hogwarts I barely even had a hello before things went straight back into the Chamber of secrets business. Hermione was in the Hospital wing, at first I thought she was attacked but Ron and Harry informed me that she used the wrong sample of hair for her polyjuice potion. It was a relief to be honest. “So, who do you think it could be I mean.. anyone and if it isn’t the Malfoy’s then who?” I asked Harry and Ron, having trouble keeping up with their quick steps. Harry stopped abruptly, pulling Ron and my robes bring us to a sudden halt. Lucky he did, Filches curses and muttering could be heard not far ahead. “What’s Filch muttering about this time?” Ron whispered, I shrugged and Harry frowned, “this is where Mrs Norris was found petrified.. look!” Harry pointed at the shimmering stone floor, the light of the candles reflected on it, it was water.

“It’s Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom, maybe she saw what happened?” I suggested, the two nodded and we walked in there. “Myrtle? Whats wrong?” Harry called out, she wasn’t anywhere to be seen but I could hear her sobbing. “Who’s that? Come to throw something at me?” her voice was sour, I wouldn’t blame her really, still getting a hard time even in the afterlife. “Why would I want to throw something at you?” Harry questioned, I could tell by the sincerity of his voice he was trying to be as sympathetic as possible. “I was in here minding my own business and someone thought it was funny to throw a book at me.” She answered glumly, her grey transparent figure looked down. “Do you know who threw it?” Harry asked, it was silent between Ron and I only because I knew if we said something she’d get cranky and wisp away not giving any helpful hints.

“I don’t know who, I just remember it falling through the top of my head.. its over there.” She pointed to the soggy black book in the corner. Harry picked it up arguing with Ron who was reluctant to pick it up, “Ron, stop worrying.” I rolled my eyes and scanned the book which I could now see was a diary, “You know, that name sounds familiar.. hmmm oh yeah he won an award fifty years ago for something..” Ron announced, I peered at him oddly, “I had to wash that trophy 6 times, the name grew on me.” Well that was quite odd for a diary to show up like that. “Thank you Myrtle.” I thought maybe someone nice and thankful may cheer her up, “You Diggory’s, always so kind, say hello to Cedric for me.” She giggled. I raised an eyebrow slightly weirded out and followed Harry and Ron. Ron thought it might not be of use to Harry but even I knew something was odd, a diary that belonged to a student 50 years ago suddenly showed up was more than suspicious.

I was ecstatic when Hermione returned from her treatment at the hospital wing in February, don’t get me wrong I enjoy the Boys company a lot but I like having another smart brain around, Harry has his moments and Ron.. Well Ron is kind of hopeless without the help of Hermione and I really. It all seemed, well dull, the attacks had stopped which seemed to relieve some students, but some still scattered when Harry walked the halls. It wasn’t until the other night things got weirder. I was in the common writing preparation notes for end of year exams and Harry was on the other side of the room examining the Diary, I don’t even think he notice me come down here, but when he started huffing and panting I knew something happened. The diary tapped into him, when Ron came down looking for him all I heard Harry mutter was, “Hagrid, Hagrid was the one who opened the chamber of secrets fifty years ago.”

It wasn’t just that night that stumped me as curious, the day after was even weirder, the boys dormitory was a mess and the Diary was gone. I was nervous, very nervous, it was Gryffindor and Hufflepuff facing off in today’s Quidditch match, I was versing my brother. It was breakfast time and I felt sick and not wanting to eat, even seeing all the other people eat made me feel sick. It wasn’t exactly silent during breakfast, as the students were excited to see Hufflepuff and Gryffindor face off. Harry’s breakfast spoon clattered on his bowl, the three of us looked at him, “The voice, I heard it again.. didn’t you?”

My eyes widened and I looked at Hermione, “Hermione! We’ve got to get to the library!” she knew exactly what I was thinking, “But Valora! Quidditch!” Harry said abruptly, “I wont be long I promise!” I shouted and ran to the library with Hermione, “Yes but it only makes sense, the Slytherin house crest, Salazar was a parselmouth, if Harry can talk to snakes then its got to be..-.”
“A giant snake..” I finished the sentence for her and pulled out the book I remember reading something about a giant snake.

“A basilisk, more commonly known as the king of serpents. This snake is a particularly large species can live for hundreds of years… blah blah bl-oh the basilisk has a deadly stare, and those who look directly into the beasts eyes will suffer instantaneous death. Spiders flee before it as it is their mortal enemy.. but that… that doesn’t make sense..” I mutter the last part to Hermione. “Don’t you get it.. the stare is only deadly if you look directly into its eyes. Mrs Norris saw the reflection of it because of the water, Justin saw it through Nearly Headless Nick, and Nick is a Ghost and cant die again, people are only petrified by indirect eye contact! Its been getting around the pipes!” she was a brilliant girl.

She pulled out a mirror swiftly and I ripped out the page writing ‘getting through the pipes.’ I scrunched it up and placed it in her hand so it Madam Pince wondered what it was she wouldn’t suspect a book page. I put the book back in its rightful place and turn to speak to Hermione. But I screamed, I almost earned point loss from Madam Pince until she saw what happened.

Hermione had been Petrified.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for jumping around times, but hey! a double update, thats cool at least!