Status: Updates will be as frequent as possible, almost daily.

Give It a Year

Chapter 8 - First Day Madness

“You’re joking?” I questioned Hermione, who just told me about Harry and Ron’s detour adventures yesterday. “I wish I was, how absolutely stupid of them.” She was disappointed; I mean I thought it was pretty cool, aside from their near expulsion. “It’s fine Hermione, its been and done and theres no way anyone could’ve stopped it. They didn’t get expelled that’s the main thing, now they’re probably waiting for us in the great hall.” I reasoned, which managed to calm her down before we entered the hall for breakfast. They didn’t look happy I’ll tell you that.

“Morning you two, between you and me, at least you’re here and not expelled so.” I smiled softly at them, Harry appreciated that, Ron was far too busy watching his Owl from affair dropping the post off. Once the owl crash landed in everyone’s breakfast, I knew exactly why Ron looked like he was ready to run out of the Castle. He got a howler. Mrs Weasley’s voice was loud enough that it echoed through the Hall making people stop to look who was unfortunate enough to get a howler. A couple of people sniggered; obviously they’ve never received a howler before because those who stayed quiet obviously knew the pain. Hermione and Ron were snapping at eachother over the ordeal, I took it upon myself to slowly exit the scene.

“I’m just going to go to Herbology now.. bye.” I silently shuffled away with my books. I didn’t particularly enjoy Herbology but then again, I needed to listen so I could pass and get good marks like I promised myself. Dad needed to be proud, even though he was still proud he still can’t quite get over my sorting last year, I will prove to him though that a Diggory in Gryffindor is just as good as a Diggory in Hufflepuff. Once the rest of the class caught up, Professor Sprout directed us to greenhouse three, by that we knew we’d be doing something quite interesting. Mandrakes, now, where have I heard about them..
Ah yes of course Cedric mentioned it once and I’ve read about them in one of his old Herbology books. Hermione seemed to also know exactly what it was we were studying today. “Todays class we’ll be re-potting Mandrakes, can anyone tell me M-.”

No one was really surprised that Hermione’s hand shot up cutting Professor Sprout off and that she was the first to talk about it. I was happy she earned Gryffindor ten points though. Herbology dragged on as usual, I was quite excited when Transfiguration came though, it was one of my favourite subjects. It would have been far more enjoyable if I wasn’t sweaty and ears ringing from the screams of the Mandrakes. But it was somewhat enjoyable, even though lunchtime came quicker than expected. I dreaded Defense against the Dark Arts this afternoon purely because of that dim-witted git teaching. How did he even get a job here? “What’ve we got after lunch?” Harry asked to no one in particular, Hermione jumped straight onto that, “Defense against the dark arts.”

“Why you like him is beyond me Hermione, he is honestly worse than Malfoy. If it came down to it Malfoy could actually teach, Lockhart on the other hand can’t tell the difference between a painting and his reflection.” I muttered, staying as quiet as possible as the Slytherin table was right behind us. I wasn’t fond of talking ill of someone behind their back, and I knew if Malfoy heard me he’d bring his stupid little posse over. “I think you’re right there Valora.” Harry agreed, as did Ron. “The only time that stupid git isn’t annoying.” Ron said, I laughed a little. “Alright lets go.” At that Hermione was off already, I guess she wanted to be first up at class. Sad, it really is. “If only her knack for having things perfect affected her choice on men.” I mutter to Harry and Ron. They sniggered and followed.

“Oh bloody hell, I forgot my books, it’s all the way at the common room.. dammit, I’ll be as quick as I can.” I stressed as I remembered what I had missed this morning. I don’t think I ever ran as quick as I did to get to the common room. I was in a rush and gave Nyx a small pat and ran back down trying not to trip on my robe. I got in just as the rest of the Gryffindor’s and Slytherin’s did and pushed my way to sit down at the back of the class room, I didn’t even care if a Slytherin sat beside me, I’d rather the company of a Slytherin than Professor Lockhart.

“Well well I think you confused yourself Diggory, that’s my seat.” Malfoy’s voice spoke maliciously, he had a smirk perched up on his face as he looked down at me. I peered down at the double seated desk, “I don’t see your name on it.” I retorted, the class only just started to sit down around now anyway. “Beat it Diggory.” His voice was sharp but I didn’t budge. His little buddies laughed on the desk next to him. “Look i’m not moving, even if this part of the classroom was falling apart I wouldn’t move, I am not going anywhere near-.”

“Afternoon, now I, Gilderoy Lockhart, order of merlin third class-.” I drowned out his voice and continued, “-anywhere near him.” My voice was low when I spoke, it was the only time I would rather even Malfoys Father sit next to me. Malfoy scowled then finally sat, not liking that he didn’t get his own way. “I thought we’d start today with a quiz, nothing to worry about, I just want to know how much you know about my books..” He trailed off handing out test papers, “You have thirty minutes. You may begin.”

I stared at the papers, of course I read his books, was I going to answer the questions? No. I cleared my throat sticking my feet up on the desk leaning backwards on my chair and did absolutely nothing for half an hour. He wasn’t particularly pleased with everyone’s responses, particularly mine considering I wrote absolutely nothing on it, not even a name.
Well aside from that stupid test the bloody man decided to bring out Cornish pixies? What was his mentality? I put up my hand. “Yes Miss?”

“Diggory, can I leave?” With that, everyone turned and looked at me, “well why would you want to do that?” Lockhart replied, I shrugged, “because I feel like it.” I said like it was the most obvious thing in the world, which it really was. He didn’t even answer mind you, so I left. Good thing too, the airhead let the pixies free. You see, I had envisioned that happening, the bloody git did announce that they were freshly caught and it was only a matter of time before they’d ruin the class room. Well, dad will have fun trying to hear that story I bet.