Transcendence

Betrayal

The royal guards of Thane were very keen in noticing things gone awry. They were probably sent by the king himself, to look out for Sonia and I. It was very difficult to blend in, especially because I wore my native clothes. Under the black cloak that hid me, I wore a long sleeved tunic dress with various shades of blue coming together to form a gradient effect; like water getting darker and darker, as you go deeper. My shoes were from my old clan as well, and would be considered something worn by that of royalty. They were comfortable - also gradient blue, but caked in dry dirt and made small rhythmic tapping sounds every time I walked. My necklace can feel my emotions and gave off a cooling sensation; it seemed to do that whenever I felt anxious. The clear stone was also something I feared would be noticed; even the dimmest light made it glitter and beam brightly. I was in a crowded market place, where thieves roamed, waiting for someone like me. It wasn't like I couldn't fight them—I can kill a man in one strike. Nonetheless, it would cause attention—something I desperately wanted to avoid. Not only that, but I have never killed a person.

This market place was filthy, but full of life. People were clamped together, trying to get from one place to another rather quickly. The pathway was a simple dirt road and among the many voices, there was music from a distance. Store owners stopped people in their tracks to show the items they had to sell, but the people were more interested in the food. I swallowed and held my breath in terror as I passed two men with the royal the insignia. They were chattering to two young girls, who happily chattered back. It smelled pleasant, so pleasant that my mouth watered and my stomach gurgled with anticipation, I almost forgot my worries of being caught. I smelled meat dumplings, roasted pork, onions, and fresh bread. I had no money and had not eaten besides the rabbit from two days ago. Hunting was so tiring, and I disliked killing animals.

I stopped at a food stand with three open stools. I gulped and eyed the pockets of the men who sat eating their food. I sighed, turning away; even though I can easily succeed, I didn't want to steal either. Just as I was going to turn around and leave, I heard a cry from behind me.

“Release me, please!” One of the girls from earlier tried desperately to free herself from the grasp of one of the guards. I peeked around; everyone looked for a second, but quickly avoided eye contact. One shouldn’t get involved with the royal guards. It angered me, but I too didn't want to interrupt—I had only a hooded cloak to cover my eyes. If anyone were to look at them, they would immediately know what I was. My eyes are originally a deep brown, but because I'm extremely hungry they're glowing cerulean. I could not help it; immortal eyes glowed the color affiliated with their element when overcome by instinctual feelings and as of right now, I was nothing but instinct. I clenched my fist and caught sight of a small knife from the food stand from before. A man was using it to cut his meat. I sauntered over making it look like I was simply going in that direction. After he was finished cutting his meat, he set it down near his elbow, near the edge, where it tilted downward towards the floor. I caught it and slipped the knife under my sleeve without him noticing. Then, I turned my course and in one swift motion of my wrist, threw the dagger at the guard's hand from where I stood. The dagger flew passed civilians, but I made sure that it’s trajectory was true.

His friend reacted immediately, drawing his sword and instantly looking my way, but not quite looking at me. The guard himself, who was injured, saw his bloody hand stuck to the wall – the knife right in the middle of his palm. He looked at it with a shaky expression and then started screaming in agony as I walked away. I glanced at the girl and I noticed she directly stared at me calmly. I gasped, looked down like an ashamed child and quickly walked away. I also saw the man whom I stole the knife from appear nervous; he knew it was his knife, but how?

On my way towards the lone path that strayed to a forest, I saw drawn posters of a girl with wild curly hair the color of crimson cherries. The posters were plastered all over the path leading to the forest on the trunks of trees. I swiped one and looked closely. As expected, it was Sonia. The artist did an exaggerated, yet amazing expression of Sonia’s face, making small flames in her eyes. Underneath her face it said, WANTED; INFERNO WIELDER; ALIVE OR DEAD. I saw a few with my face. My hair and eyes were blue and this time, the artist put waves in my eyes. WANTED; WATER BREATHER; ALIVE.

+

Night had already fallen and still, my sister didn't come to me. I was getting worried; not for her, but for the people who crossed her path. Usually, after her tantrums she tracked me down—I leave clear clues as to where I would be going next – but tonight, she seemed angrier than usual. I left the village market and went to the forest, straying from the path as to not encounter any people. I kept thinking, any moment now...however, I had the feeling that this time, Sonia wouldn't return. Before I left I stood there with my eyes closed, waiting once more for Sonia. The sun started to set and its counterpart, the moon, began to rise from its slumber. The birds chirped annoyingly and everything else was still, not even a breeze passed by. Before I knew it, I heard a shuffling behind me. The sound of a cross-bow was all too familiar, so I raised my hands. It was not Sonia. “Don't shoot.” I said calmly.

“I spared you the first time, now I won't be so forgiving.” He spat. You spared me? I thought incredulously.

I looked over my shoulder, knowing very well who it was. It was the man from two nights ago. I grimaced when I noticed how filthy he looked. Then again, under my cloak, so was I. His eyes were the only things untainted, so clear and bright. I heard two others in hiding, waiting to strike. I pretended not to notice them. I also noticed his wound and how it slowly seeped blood through his shirt. “Your injury is festering. I smell it...” I then added slowly, “I can help you.” I conjured the water from the plants and grass with my mind and formed a small vesicle of water. Because I summoned it with the intention of healing, the water began glowing. It slowly floated towards him. My back was to him, but I felt that he stood still as if trusting me for a second. I thought if I can help him, we can forget the fighting and he'll let me free.

I was wrong. An arrow from one of the hidden slayers whizzed through the floating stream of water. Out came a woman with a strong, tall stature. I knew she was glaring at me, so I returned the favor by looking back over my shoulder. Her hair was cropped short and golden strands from within the light brown hair glistened in the awakening moonlight. Her features were handsome, androgynous; she could easily pass as a man but there was a feminine lining of her nose, of her lovely eyes. There was a sigh, a masculine-sounding one, and the last of the three came out with a sword at hand. Like the injured one from yesterday, he was strong and tall. They had to be; they were slayers. I tried hiding the fact that I was nervous. I couldn't just say, 'Hello, I wanted to heal your friend's wound because, well, you see, it's infected...' The slayers saw a glowing vortex of water floating towards their friend, they have all the reason to distrust me. I couldn't explain to them how it was only going to be used to heal him, they would not believe me.

“Leonel, are you a fool?” The girl cried.

I decided to take action. “Leonel,” I said, immediately memorizing his name.

The other man scoffed and glared at the girl. “Are you a fool? You just said his name for it to hear!”

“Leonel, I don't want to hurt your friends. Tell them to stand aside. You are hurting and I can feel it. Your injury from that night, if I don't clean it, you'll die within a few days. I'm sure you slayers want more noble deaths, yes?” I honestly can feel his wound…it almost made me physically sick, knowing the pain he was in.

The girl came to me then, whipping a knife out to my throat. Her chest was pressed against my back, and her breathing was even and close. She was ready. “Leonel, she's an immortal, the Water Breather—the sister of that wild girl. Just say the word and I'll-”

Her friend, the other man, interrupted her. “We can't kill her, his majesty wants her alive, remember?” This made me nervous. I turned my head ever so carefully, the woman's blade still on my neck.

Leonel began walking towards me now, with an angry expression. As he took out his sword from its sheath, I readied myself for battle. I quickly grabbed the girl's wrist and flipped her over my back, and whipped around to face him, scaring his male friend who began charging at me. “My words are true, slayers. I only want to help.” I tried one last time to convince them. I did not want to kill anyone. Then, Leonel put his sword on the ground along with his crossbow, a small knife and what I noticed to be a piece of brass that wrapped around his fingers.

“Leonel what are you doing?” The girl cried. His male companion gave another sigh and put his sword away. That man had reason within him, and seemed to trust his leader, who must be Leonel. What he does and says, goes.

He then lifted up his tunic, unwrapping the dirty rags that were his failed attempt at bandaging. We all stood still for a moment. Behind me the woman gave a small gasp. Sonia had certainly thrown the arrow with more force than I had thought. It was a very deep hole, dark brown with a lot of redness and bruising. If it had been later, there would have been pus and more discoloring. Because he is a slayer, he was trained to endure pain like this, allowing him to move with ease, which was why his friends didn't notice perhaps. I summoned the water again. They all stood watching carefully; tense, but fascinated. Leonel closed his eyes. I cautiously walked over to him, looking at his friends in case they chose to strike me down.

“Water-breather, you best not try anything unless you want your head cut off.” The woman spat. So pretty with her gray eyes, yet so poisonous with her words.

The nameless man spoke. “Helena, enough.”

The woman, Helena, stomped her foot and glared at her friend incredulously. “Who is saying names now!”

I felt assured that they wouldn't attack me, so I put my hands on Leonel's wound. He flinched, but not in pain. The water was cool and clean, straight from the plants. The water slithered into his wound and immediately, I began working. “By the angels.” He breathed. I heard Helena behind me, readying her weapon. Leonel stopped her, holding out his hand. “It's working.” was all he said and Helena made a sound of annoyance. She clearly was jealous of me at that moment; obviously she seemed to care for this man more than a friend and here I am, another other-worldly woman putting my hands on his chest. I breathed a small laugh. They looked at me questionably but my face went back to its emotionless state as I finished the healing process.

I pulled the water out of his body and like a snake, it slithered out. Leonel seemed to stand straighter now, as if no more pain was holding him back. I commanded the water to re-enter the plants they came from. The water, with filth and the smell of Leonel's infection, obeyed and poured itself onto the dead plants. Almost instantly, the plants where lush again. The only difference was that they would die soon, because now they were ill; lush, but with a sickly purple color.

Leonel put his tunic on again. It was very late now and the moon was at its highest. I felt stronger because of the moon, but it instantly passed. I saw the light from my eyes reflecting from his own, and I pulled my black hood over my face to cover them, looking down on the floor. I felt alive after using my element and it was making my eyes brighter again. I decided to call a deal. “I healed you,” I said, “so I am going to leave and I expect that you will not try anything.” I kept my head down, but nodded to Helena. “You especially.”

Helena opened her mouth to protest but Leonel put his hand up, closing his eyes. “Don't speak.” He said to her, shaking his head. He opened his eyes and I felt him trying to search my face. I pulled my hood over more than it already was, hiding. So shameful I was; mother and father would have stood tall, proud and stared with calm expressions. Even Sonia, who's eyes shone every hue of the flames would stare back with pride and fury. “You helped me, but I won't promise anything. Instead, I'll give you a head start.” He smirked. I felt Helena's cocky aura as I grimaced. I glanced at his face and he caught my eyes because he had already been staring. Still smirking, he raised his eyebrows. “Starting now.”

My nerves jolted and I immediately started running. When I was away some distance I heard Helena laughing and their friend; who's name I still do not know, shouting something. This was a game to them. “After I helped you.” I whispered, running faster. I couldn’t believe my naivety. I could tell they were very skilled slayers; their speed was impeccable; they were already caught up. However, I will not be taken tonight. I narrowed my eyes as I heard a whizzing sound. I snickered. These slayers loved their crossbows. The sound was strongest from my left ear, so I moved to the right and it flew past me, on my left. I gulped. It barely missed me. Another one came and as I was running, I spun around faster than light, catching it, and snapping the wood in two. I continued running until I hit a small lake. I stopped in front of it, looking back into the trees.

Water. I almost laughed with relief. They were closing in fast and I stopped, trying one last time. “Please stop!” I called, my voice a little shaky. “I don't want to hurt you!” I meant every word, but they were so stubborn. I didn't want to fight. Before I could turn around and dive in, I heard shuffling; someone was coming at me extremely fast.

“How can you hurt us when you keep running!” Helena ran out of the trees lightning quick, whipping a dagger chaotically in front of my face. Blood slid down my cheek; the knife was so clean and sharpened with perfection, and Helena was so fast, that she had grazed me. I would not have noticed if the blood didn't drip like it did. Leonel joined her, but his weapon of choice was far more deadly; a long sword. I widened my eyes as I saw the royal insignia engraved on their weapons. Royal slayers from the royal family. Oh goodness, no wonder they were so fast. I kept dodging but couldn't find an opening. I immediately regretted stopping for that brief moment when I should have immediately dived into the water. I had not fought a true battle in years. I caught a glimpse of their friend aiming his arrow at me, but because of the all of the motion, he couldn't get a direct hit. I looked directly into his eyes and they widened, it was my intention to throw him off. He was frozen for only a moment and then pulled the trigger without thinking. I knew his friends would hear the sound and dodge. They trusted that he got the target, me, but I knew better. He panicked and shot the arrow too early, so, both of them moved aside just enough, ready to get back to attacking. I ducked and slid my leg under Helena, making her drop on the floor. Before Leonel could react to his friend on the ground, I pulled water from the lake and thought images of Leonel's sword.

The water obeyed and engulfed his weapon. I clenched my hand into a fist and the water turned into ice around the sword. I heard him grunt; the ice had made his hand stuck to the handle. He was still whipping it around, but missing his target by a mile. This was my chance. I stood up and dove into the water, swimming away. I closed my eyes as water surrounded me. I heard arrows entering the water, but they were far off; I was already away. In the water, I was swift and moved just as fast as I would have on land.

As I swam, Leonel's eyes kept appearing in my mind. The royal family had a reputation for strange colored eyes. Not as strange as immortals, but strange to the extent of a human. He is of royal blood, it all made sense suddenly. Slayers were generally strong but the royal ones were even stronger. I shouldn't have helped him. His eyes were so bright, and they burned in my mind, almost to say, “I will find you.” My necklace felt icy on my chest and it only made me feel worse. I had a dark feeling about Leonel, as though we'll meet again but luck will be on his side. I finally crawled out of the water; I was on the other side of the lake. I looked and the Slayers were gone – probably on their way to look for me. “I have to leave.” I whispered to myself. I have to find Sonia. I lied on the floor for a minute, thinking.

I understood then, my necklace was not trying to sooth me. It was warning me; that dark feeling...my element stone knows something is going to happen. I got up quickly with the intent of finding my sister. I'm sure this dark feeling has something to do with not only Leonel, but her too.