Little Runaways

prolouge

I don't know much about my family, where I came from, or who I even am. All I know is I am one of three children and the story told from my (second) eldest sister, Felicity.

There was a loud bang coming from the front door of the apartment and Felicity jumped. She heard a whimper from the bed across the room which caused her to scramble towards it, knowing the loud bang had upset her baby sister, Kenzie. Felicity lifted her four year old little sister, who she had five years on, out of the bed and made their way to Sarah's room. Sarah was the oldest, being fourteen and all, and Felicity was depending on her to protect them from the banging noise that had become persistent.

"Are you okay?" Sarah whispered and Felicity answered with a nod.

In that moment their father came into the room, breathing heavily, "Good, all three of you are together. Get some clothes and shoes on. We're leaving. Now." They all jumped and immediately went to getting their things together, Sarah and Felicity working together to get Kenzie ready.

"Ready, daddy," Sarah said to their father and jumped as there was another loud noise from the front of the apartment.

"Come on, let's go," he said as he bustled them together and headed for the back window that was the fire escape. He pulled himself through the window and then quickly moved to help his three children through the window. Afterwards they made their way down the ladders that connected each of the apartments as quickly and quietly as they possibly could. Upon reaching the bottom, their father eyed them wearily, and said, "Now we have to run."

And that's exactly what they did. As they were running, Felicity looked behind them to see men with flashlights chasing them and her heart hammered hard against ribs. She held tightly to Kenzie's hand, tugging her along trying to keep up with their father and Sarah. Her foot caught in a crack in the sidewalk and she went tumbling to the ground, taking Kenzie with her. She cried out, hoping Sarah or their father would help but they both turned the corner without looking back.

She turned her head to see the men almost on them and looked down to see Kenzie crying on the ground. She looked up then, heart still thudding violently, and saw the orphanage right in front of them. In the moment, she made a split second decision to scoop her baby sister up and burst through the doors. "Help! My sister and I are alone and I'm too young to take care of her!" she cried out and then there were women surrounding her, dressed as what she remembered to be nuns.

Felicity looked behind them, glancing at the door to see if the men would come through; they never did but she was never the same again. In shock, from the entire situation and the fact that Sarah and her father had abandoned her and Kenzie, she let the nuns carry them away into the safety of the orphanage.


Now I am alone, Felicity left me years ago, running away attempting to get away from the insanity. I don't really know where she went but here I am. I turn eighteen years old tomorrow, fifteen years later, and I will officially be free. What will I do with that freedom you may ask? Well, I'm going to attempt to find my sisters and possibly my father.