Status: Complete!

April Agony

Chance Encounter

“We met on a Tuesday. June 1st, 2004. She was absolutely gorgeous, even soaked by the rain. She was upset because she had just missed her train.

“We spent the time before mine deep in conversation. In fact, I nearly missed my train. We were reluctant to say goodbye, but I had to be in Columbus that night, and she needed to find another way to Hanover. And so I left her in Grand Central Station.

“We met again in 2010. In a train station, actually. This time, in Buffalo. No matter what had taken us from New York, we just had to go back. Her college days had ended, but her paid internship with a local law firm hadn't, so she stayed in New Hampshire. When it ended, she came back to New York, and had just been hired by a Buffalo law firm. I had gone to Columbus for family, and found a relationship. I stayed in it for too long. And left to come back home.

“Actually, my being in Buffalo happened to be luck. My mother had just made a purchase that required an in person pick up from the store in Buffalo. So I accompanied her.

“I recognized April immediately, even though her appearance had altered. She still had her vibrant green eyes that pierced into me. Her hair was darker, and shorter, but she was just as beautiful.

“We said hello at the same time, and continued talking for quite some time. In fact, tired of waiting for me to finish, my mother had already left.

“Needless to say, I never quite left Buffalo.”