Status: Complete!

April Agony

The Aftermath

“I moved back to my parents after that. No house, nothing, no one. It was just easier financially and physically.

“Emotionally, it was torture. All I had, all I owned, the one I loved the most. Taken from me in such a short time.

“That's when the dreams, and the nightmares, started.

“In my dreams, she was alive, we were home. Being asleep was wonderful, and waking up always hurt.

“My nightmares... I couldn't wait to awaken from. My nightmares were here too... Me watching her die. Seeing the flames consume her. Hearing her yell for me to save her. But I couldn't move, couldn't speak, I could only watch, and suffer.

“She filled my conscious life. I would see reminders of her on my phone, when I'd see a briefcase, when I'd hear violins... I couldn't get away from thoughts of her.

“I was so in love, I couldn't get over her. And I was suffering at night. So I wouldn't sleep. Small thoughts of her while awake hurt less than the guilt I felt after sleeping.

“The guilt would stay after I'd wake up. I felt guilty. If I had been home. She'd be alive.

“But, at the time. It felt so important to go. And that's part of why it hurts so much.

“When I left, I was going to buy something. I actually got permission to temporarily open her casket before her funeral to give it to her.

“After all, I'd bought the engagement ring for her to have...”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, writing this killed me. But I'm so proud of it.

Please, if you have any comments or critiques, please do share them with me. I always want to know what people like or don't like from my stories.

Please and Thank you! And a very large thank you to all of you who read this.