Knocked Up

Chapter 5

“I hate you.” Jake couldn’t help the tiny laugh he let out as Kim answered the phone, it nearly been two months since Kim had told him she was pregnant in Toronto and so far things had been going well. They spoke nearly every day, Kim told him everything going on with the baby and they made an effort to get to know each other more and more.

“Hey Kim, my day was great thanks, how was yours?” One thing that had happened was he’d learnt her sarcasm and was now becoming as master of it himself.

“I haven’t moved from my seat in front of the toilet since three am this morning and it’s your fault.” She must have had a shit day normally she tut and call him a sarcastic bastard.

“I am pretty sure there were two of us in my hotel room that night and the next morning and the next night.” He couldn’t help the small smile that graced his lips as he thought of their time in Ottawa it was happening more and more recently.

“I am still blaming you.”

“Have you managed to keep anything down?”

“No… but Eli’s put me on an IV kind of useful having a live in doctor.” Eli was fast becoming his favourite person, Kim had been having a rough time with the morning sickness but she was too stubborn to admit it. Eli was the one stopping her from collapsing making sure that even when she couldn’t eat solids her body was still getting what it needed to help the baby develop.

“He still think you’ll be good to go tomorrow?” She was meant to be flying back tomorrow evening for her graduation on Wednesday, she’d be gutted if he stopped her from flying but she’d do it. She wouldn’t fly if it could harm their baby.

“So long as I pink up tonight and don’t throw up tomorrow morning then yeah he’s alright with the
idea of me flying.”

“Excited?”

“It feels kind of weird like, I always thought it would be this huge moment in my life marking the end of my education but really its already done, I’ve been working in America for the last two months flying back to wear a cap and gown and get a piece of paper seems a bit pointless.” He doubted they were the reasons she wasn’t bursting to get home see her friends and family and graduate something she’d been working for her whole life.

“Oh come on its graduation every college student dreams of graduating in the cap and gown.”

“I guess but I always dreamt of it been in summer not the middle of November it’s going to be freezing in the cathedral.” That did sound like bad planning, who wanted a picture in the rain or in front of cathedral surrounded by dead trees.

“Did you decide on what you’re wearing?”

“I still want to wear that suit I mentioned the one I bought before I moved here, let’s just hope the pants fit I am not showing but I’ve still put a couple of inches on around my waist and my boobs are growing… I bet the lads notice that.” He’d mentioned how her graduation gown always looked better on the guys with ties because the tie it all in place where as a dress wouldn’t so she had decided to wear a suit too.

“You excited to see the guys?”

“I guess Jamie defiantly I miss him like crazy I wish we could have worked together but… different plans and all.” Kim had told him about Jamie, he was her best friend at uni, she’d watched him grow into the proud, attractive, happy, open guy he was today. She’d stood beside him as he’d final accepted his sexuality and he’d stood beside as she tried to defy the doctors and complete university at the same time as learn to walk again after the accident.

“Claude wants me to remind you he wants pictures…”

“Like I could forget… one second post man,” He laughed, he was sure Claude had text her a hundred times over the course of the day and she’d likely get a hundred more tomorrow and the day of her graduation. But Claude wasn’t the only person that wanted pictures he wanted to see her dressed in her suit with her gap and gown on.

Waiting he could just about hear her conversation with the postman before hearing the door close and then came the scream he was waiting for “Oh my god are you fucking kidding me?!”

“You like them?” He had known what was at the door he’d been watching the tracker on the package since he’d got back from practice so he could ring at the perfect moment.

“Like them, they are Louboutin…”

“It was Claude and Danny’s idea, I just chipped in a bit.” He knew no matter how much he wanted to take the credit he couldn’t it had been Claude’s idea and Danny had picked the shoes all he’d done was give Claude a few hundred dollars towards them.

“They are perfect thank you so much.” That money was well spent she sounded so happy

“Good”

“I was thinkin about telling my mum whilst I am home about bean…” Wow that was she’d just taken the conversation in a totally new direction. Bean was Kim’s new name for the baby after they had their first scan two weeks ago and she’d commented how their baby looked like a kidney bean… most people get emotional his baby mamma comment their baby looked like a bean. “I mean I am fourteen weeks now, miscarriages are less likely and it will start to show soon and I was thinking I could do it before I get on the plane that way if she gives me that disappointed look I can just run.”
He knew what she was talking about he’d been having similar thoughts.

“I was thinking the same… that we need to start telling people Wayne is already getting suspicious especially since I flew into Buffalo for the afternoon. Claude’s been getting on my back about telling chief he is sick of covering for me.” Wayne really had been on his case, since her doctor wanted he to have scans in Buffalo he’d had to fly up for the scan due to games he’d only been able to be there for the afternoon. Something Wayne had found strange, he’d made up some shit excuse about it been the only time he’d get to see her for a while but Wayne wasn’t swallowing it.

“So we tell them?”

“I guess it’s time to come clean.” He agreed.

“Okay I am going to go and get some sleep. I’ll text you tomorrow and try and call before I fly but if not good luck for the game.”

“You’re still coming for the five day break right?”

“Yeah but don’t think me been there is an excuse to slack off you gotta keep Crosby on his toes, it’s so good seeing someone challenge him on points.”

“Still can’t believe it.”

“Believe it Scorecek… right I am going to pack my shoes and then get some sleep oh shit I should call Danny and G too… night!” He laughed at his nickname; Kim had been great since the start of the season. He was having the start of his life and she just made it even better somehow. He was pretty sure if he’d gotten any other girl pregnant his life and hockey would be in the shit right now but Kim was good.

“Night!” He smiled before hanging up and throwing his phone on the bed next to him before reaching for the scan picture he’d tucked into the picture of his family he had on his bed side table.

Taking it and heading downstairs he decided it was now or never, kim had agreed people need to know where better to start than with his housemate. Wayne was in the kitchen sat at the breakfast bar on his lap top, Jake just dropped the scan picture on his mates laptop before walking to the fridge and pulling out a bottle of water. Closing the fridge he turned to lean against it, opening his water and taking a swig whilst watching Wayne lift the picture up.

“What the fuck is this?” He took a breath as Wayne turned to face him holding the scan photo, he could see Wayne knew what was happening but was having a hard time believing it.

“The reason I flew to Buffalo for the afternoon two weeks ago.”

“This a sonogram Jake, why the fuck would you have a sonogram?”

“Because I am going to be a Dad.” Jake confirmed and he watched Wayne go silent turning back to face away from him placing the scan picture back on his lap top before running his hands over his face. Jake just stood there waiting for his friend to say something the silence was making him nervous.

“Are you shitting me?” Wayne suddenly shouted slamming his hands on his thighs.

“Part of me wishes I was.” He knew it wasn’t ideal, he knew it was stupid and he’d fucked up and that his whole life was going to change and part of him a tiny part of him really wished it was just a bad dream but there was another part of him that was so glad it was happening because it meant he got Kim.

“Jesus Christ Jake, didn’t they teach you to wrap it before you tap it in Czech? You are on the run of your life man and what you go and do this, what the fuck do you think happens when this gets out?”

“The condom must of split or been faulty or something.” It had been something they’d been so careful about every time a new condom, even the first time which was a drunken haze he remember her sliding a condom on him, he remembered because it had been hell not to come then and there.

“And it’s defiantly yours?” The question made him pissed but he knew he was going to get it a lot, he was a hockey player an NHL hockey player she was a no one. But they didn’t know her she wouldn’t just get pregnant and claim it was his, it wasn’t just his career it was going to affect but hers.

“Kim says it is, she said she hasn’t been with anyone since and the dates fit.”

“Does Claude know?”

“Yeah?”

“And he left you alive?” Jake let out a laugh Kim had asked that too when he’d mentioned Claude knowing. He was now more shocked that the Frenchmen hadn’t beat the shit out of him when he’d told him. But he had threatened him big style just before he’d gone up to Buffalo Claude had dragged him aside and told him exactly what would happen to him if he broke his promise to Kim or betrayed her or hurt her in away and none of them where nice.

“If I hurt her I am never playing hockey again.” He gave Wayne the abbreviated version of Claude’s threat.

“I am surprised he didn’t beat the shit out of you, he loves that girl.” He’d heard that a lot over the past few days, Wayne had mentioned Kim came down and stayed with them not Claude and a lot of the guys had been confused by it. They’d all mentioned Claude loving her at first he’d taken it as meaning he loves her like a sister after all Claude’s been with his girlfriend almost as long as he’d known Kim but the way everyone kept saying it was making him start to wonder was there something else?