Wicked Desicions

Chapter 1

This is my last year of High School and I have no idea what I want to go to college for. My best friend Elodi Sanchez is going to college for classical cello. She is very talented. Then, there is my twin brother Taren. He has a full scholarship for football to the University of Michigan.

“Arya have you figured out what you’re going to college for yet,” Elodi asked as I was day dreaming about the night before’s Face off. Angered by her question I ignored her because I haven’t even thought about it my brother is the one going to college not me. I don’t have any talent or brains. Starting to realize Elodi is staring at me waiting for an answer, still, I sigh and say, “No Elodi I haven’t thought about it.”

We walked into my favorite class the theater class. “Arya I’ve got a great idea,” Elodi screamed with excitement into my ear and I cringed back a little as I laughed because it hurt my ear but she looked funny so it was okay.

“That was my ear and what is it El?” I simply replied as I covered my ear. She calmed herself, cleared her throat and said, well asked “What is your favorite class?” Knowing very well what the answer was but I still answered, “This lovely class we are currently in.”

As if she knew exactly what to do she dragged me over to the teacher and said, “Mrs. Rachel? Arya here would like to join the play in some way. Preferably in the make-up and costuming department,” she said with her I get what I want and I want this smile, and I stood there with my mouth hung open in amazement.

Why was Elodi doing this? “That’s great can you sew? How about old age and animals can you do that kind of make up?”

Was she talking to me? The days of poly foam in the basement are over. “Yes I can do anything as long as you give me creative control. Give me a subject and I’ll stay in those boundaries.” I said trying to hide so much excitement I thought I’d burst.

“You’re in.”

The next day I arrived at play rehearsal before anyone else and discovered the play was Wicked not one with a lot of prosthetics but a lot of glitter and paint and fabric. Not to mention the talent that would have to be found to play the parts. I know the play well it’s the only one I’ve ever seen in person. I was mesmerized by everyone’s performances. How they brought the story to life and the songs brought goose bumps to my skin. Now I get to work on these amazing characters. I can’t remember the last time I was more excited.

Realizing that I can make a prosthetic of Fiyero for when he turns into a scarecrow. Getting that idea I sketched every character down in my sketch pad so fast I thought it was going to catch fire. Once I was done I took my fireless sketchpad to Mrs. Rachel. “Okay so I have seen this play I know it word for word so I can just go to my workshop but I want to show you the ideas I sketched before I go.” I said in such a hurry I was surprised she understood me.

“Let’s see them I’m so excited.” She said as she beamed the biggest, whitest smile at me I was almost blinded. She started flipping through my sketch book with every picture and sketch of every

prosthetic I’ve ever done. I was so busy thinking about the life cast I was going to have to make of

Fiyero that I didn’t realize she started at the beginning of my sketch book. I never would have realized

either if the next conversation didn’t take place. “Arya did you do all of these?”

“Yes, it’s been a hobby science I was 12. It started with just makeup then moved to the more expensive stuff like Polly foam, latex, silicon. Stuff like that.” I said shrugging my shoulders like it was nothing.

“These are professional quality good. Have you ever thought about pursuing this as a career?” She asked with one of those blinding smiles that only made me feel bad for what I was about to say.

“No I don’t think about that or colleges much all I do are my prosthetics and homework.” I said and I swear I could see wheels turning behind those dark brown eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like it. Comments are appreciated. :)