Status: Another short story for NaNoWriMo. Also, wildly unedited.

Bookwarm

Page One

It's not until after the new year begins that Castiel sees Dean again. With the holidays out of the way, the world restarts and, once again, the train and its passengers are back to the daily grind.

That first day -a Monday, Castiel notes- Dean steps into the train in a new pair of boots, a much heavier coat, and is almost pointedly making an effort not to look over at Castiel. As he lounges against the train car's door, he makes steadfast eye contact with his shoes and, Castiel notices, his novel (the one that perfectly matches the book Castiel holds in his hands) it closed and clutched tightly in his hand.

When they hit Houston Street, Dean hesitantly goes for the now empty seat. He sits stiff, nothing like his usually lax demeanor, and shakily grasps his novel between his fingers; opening it to the very first page. When Dean finally looks up, Castiel tries not to make a show of pulling out his copy and turning to his first page as well.
♠ ♠ ♠
January 25, 2015: This isn't a new chapter. I just re-organized some the previous chapters and ended up having to split something up. Chapter 6 will be a new chapter.