Boys of Summer

Just So You Know

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
July 4th
6:42 PM
DOUGIE'S POV

I sighed as I sat on the couch, watching as the three boys played video games in front of me. Dani was lying down on the couch, her hands resting on her stomach as she waited for Jess to arrive so we could leave.

I was bored out of my mind, but the idea of playing a video game just didn't seem appealing. I raised an eyebrow when I noticed Danny look back, staring at Dans for a moment. He caught Dans' eye, and immediately looked away. Dani blushed, and I wondered what was going on in the apartment that I didn't know about.

"Yank," I said slowly, my curiosity overcoming my distaste for the girl, "Would you escort me to bedroom?" "Why," she asked, sounding put out by the suggestion. I rolled my eyes; I know she knows I saw the look. I grabbed her wrist, dragging her across the room and into Harry's bedroom.

She sat on the bed, avoiding my confused glance after I'd closed the door. "Do you fancy Danny," I asked bluntly. I rolled my eyes when she seemed amazed at the question. What did she expect me to ask? "Answer the question." "Well, I kind of do, but I wasn't going to-"

I rolled my eyes, why do the girls always go for Danny? Always, they ALWAYS do! I turned, banging my head into the door a few times for my own sanity. "What," Dans questioned, and when I turned to face her she seemed, get this, concerned. Like she actually cares about me.

I weighed my options carefully, wondering if I should save her the heartbreak that tends to be getting involved with Danny, or let her get hurt. It would be a pain if Danny broke up with her before she even left, cause Harry will get angry. He'll get angry even if Danny DOESN'T break her heart. But I also don't actually care for her, and other than having to deal with fighting band members it wouldn't affect me.

Do it for the band.

I sighed, then, as I sat on the bed next to Dans, "You don't want to get involved with Danny." "What? I wasn't going to-" "I know he seems like he really likes you," I said, ignoring her protests. All the girls say that they aren't going to; they always do anyway. "But it won't last, it never does with Danny."

"Harry already gave me this lecture," Dans snapped, glaring at me. I felt my jaw drop; okay, I'm trying to help, so she snaps at me? What kind of bird is she? "Fine, ignore my wisdom." "Well, I'm sorry," Dans said, obviously not sorry but very, very angry, "I'm kind of just confused as to why you suddenly think you have the right to give me your 'wisdom.'" Oh my God, did she just air-quote 'wisdom?'

"It isn't a privilage to try and help someone, Yank," I spat, standing and taking a step away from her. God, I can have good intentions, you know! Dans was about to retort, but she was cut off by a single knock on the door, "Hey, Jess is here!"

Dani glared at me, crossing the room with the anger that was evident when she'd settled the fight between Danny and Harry. I blew my hair off of my face, falling back to sit on the bed as Harry poked his head in, "Everything alright?" "Your cousin is crackers, mate."

Unknown House, London, UK
July 4th
7:19 PM
DANI'S POV

I smiled as I felt the beat of a bass line pounding through the ground and into my feet as Harry escorted Jess and I up the driveway of the house, the stench of alcohol distinct in the crisp air. After a half hour long car ride that was more awkward than the ending of a bad date, I was glad not to have to sit on anyone else.

I groaned inwardly as I thought of the car ride. The car wasn't big enough for six people, a detail I'd overlooked, and so I'd had to spend the ride on Harry's lap, condemning Jess to squish in between Harry and Danny. At a gas stop, Harry suggested I switch to Danny's lap since his legs were going numb. I refused the offer profusely, which was followed by a nervous giggle.

But it was no better for Jess; Dougie asked partway through the ride if she still likes Tom and, if so, if she was only coming to the party to get Tom drunk and take advantage of him. And, if that was not the case, would she please consider going home with him?

For that one, Tom slapped him, Danny slapped him, I slapped him, and Harry managed to kick him without hurting Jess. Jess just sat there, her face a flaming-red color. I slapped Dougie again for embarrassing her.

Harry nodded at a man at the door, holding it open for Jess and I. "A bouncer," I questioned, impressed as I looked over the burly man, "Fancy." "Very," Jess agreed, staying close to my side, though I lost sight of Harry immediately. I sighed as I turned to Jess, Time to make friends. "Wanna get a drink?" Jess smiled gratefully, nodding earnestly.

Unknown House, London, UK
July 4th
9:22 PM
DANI'S POV

I love this girl, I thought enthusiastically as I sipped my third martini. I've gotten to know Jess over the past hour and a half, during which we've both loosened up considerably, such is the magic of drinking. I never realized how much I missed having a girlfriend around to talk with.

"You having a good time," Danny questioned, appearing for the first time since the car. He wrapped an arm around me, obviously drunk, as Tom appeared. Tom didn't seem drunk as much as he seemed very, very buzzed. With slightly impaired judgment. It showed when he wrapped an arm around Jess, almost falling into her lap, "How could they not?"

Okay, maybe he is drunk. Danny confirmed my thoughts when he whispered, (well, he meant to whisper, but he didn't really) "Tom's drunk cause he wants to forget the break-up." Danny 'tee-hee'd in my ear, spitting on me in the process. I grimaced as I wiped the saliva off of my bare shoulder, Why is it that drunk guys are only charming when I'M drunk too?

I saw Jess blushing madly, and so I gasped when a new song pounded over the speakers. "I love this song!" Jess looked at me strangely, only catching on when I gave her a look, "Oh my gosh, it's my favorite!"

"No it isn't," Tom stated, nose wrinkling as he squinted, looking into the distant ceiling, "Hotel California is, I think." "Why don't you guys go get us a spot on the dance floor," I said, ignoring Tom, "And we'll catch up in a minute."

Danny smiled and nodded at the idea, grabbing Tom's arm and dragging him to the dance floor in front of the DJ's booth, where they both disappeared in a sea of people. Jess smirked, giving me a discreet high-five, "Thank you!" "Not a problem," I responded. I was about to ask if she still liked Tom, because it seemed like she did, when someone's obnoxious laughter cut me off.

I turned around, meaning to tell the person to keep it down, only to realize that a slightly tipsy Dougie was the one laughing at me and Jess. "Wow," he exclaimed, "That was a diss!" I raised my eyebrows inquisitively, "What?" "You just totally blew off Danny McFly! He hasn't actually been blown off since he was about twelve!" Dougie continued to laugh hysterically, earning glares from everyone around us.

I considered asking how many drinks he'd had, or how long he'd been sitting behind me, but I decided to be defensive instead, "What makes you think I'm blowing him off?" Dougie's face fell, "You aren't actually going to dance with Danny, are you? There are better blokes here willing to dance with you."

I ignored the fact that drunk Dougie just almost paid me a compliment and stood defiantly, "Jess, dance?" "What?" I grabbed Jess' hand, much like Danny had done to Tom, and dragged her toward the dance floor. At the edge, I whispered, "Just walk across the floor; Dougie is so pissed, he won't notice."

Jess nodded, unhooking her arm from mine and diving into the mass of people. I took a deep breath, following her after a moment. I was pushed everywhere by grinding, jumping, mostly drunk people and lost sight of her almost immediately. Sweat was dripping off of most of the people, and so that felt pretty weird. "Hey," I heard someone call when I was about halfway through the dance floor, followed by a body pressed unreasonably close to mine.

I was about to turn and slap the dude, but I saw it was Danny, and so slapping didn't seem reasonable since I'd promised to dance with him. "Hey," I shouted back, feeling uncertain as I started to dance half-heartedly to the techno beat. Should I really be dancing with him? I mean, it really isn't fair; if he starts to think I'm leading him on...

Oh, have fun! He's drunk, you're kinda sorta drunk; he'll know it doesn't mean anything. I'm quite aware that that was the alcohol talking, but I'm going to listen anyway. It's been so long since I danced, I'd opted out of the junior prom, and Danny wasn't a half-bad dancer. Not half-good, though. Kind of stuck in the middle.

Unknown House, London, UK
July 4th
Unknown
DANI'S POV

Oh god, I thought as Danny's hand slid around my waist, stumbling off the dance floor, What fucking time is it? I was sweating pretty profusely, as was Danny, and we'd finally both gotten too thirsty to continue dancing. I'm not sure if he's still drunk, but I'm thinking clearly now, especially since I'm breathing air that hasn't had to circulate between masses of people to get to me.

And all I can think about is that I shouldn't have danced with Danny.

His hands had been all over me, and I hadn't minded one bit, which made it really hard to try and push them away. And I left Jess somewhere at the edge of the floor, completely ditching her at a party where she knows no one except her ex's friends. I mean, the time I've spent dancing with Danny must've been the definition of awkward for her, and I feel terrible about it.

I searched for my red-headed friend as Danny led me to the kegs, where he got a beer for himself. He offered me one, but I declined. I need to find Jess, and I need to get away from Danny. "I'll be right back," I said, not having any intention of talking to Danny for the rest of the night.

I tried to take a step away, but Danny pulled me back against him. It wasn't forceful, and it didn't make me uncomfortable, but I knew that didn't make it right. "Where're you going?" I sighed as I Danny's arm curled around my waist, his chin resting on my shoulder. "I need to find Jess," I explained, my hand gently intertwining with his and pulling it off of my waist.

"I'll come with you-" "No," I snapped at him, finally stepping away from Danny and looking at him with sadness. "She's on the floor," Danny muttered, trying to be helpful and hurt at my sudden anger with him. My resolve melted a little at seeing Danny's pain.

Before I could talk myself out of it, I stepped forward, giving Danny a hug. I mean, I hug him all the time; I hug all of the boys all the time, save for Dougie, who I haven't touched, except to slap him, since the first night when we fell asleep on the couch together. Hugging Danny is nothing too big; nothing could come of it... right? Right.

But I knew I was wrong when Danny pulled away slowly, his arms still wrapped around my waist, his forehead brushing against mine. For a moment, our eyes locked, and then he slowly leaned in.

The kiss was gentle, sweet, and almost innocent. I felt like I was thirteen, and it was my first kiss all over again, complete with the butterflies in my stomach and the fireworks I'd imagined going off overhead. It was lingering, and I can't be sure of the exact moment that it ended. It kind of just... faded.

And then there was another kiss; Danny pulled me tighter against him and he was more forceful with about it. Not overbearing or powerful, but it was... I can't describe it. It was nice, I'll say that much. He dropped his drink, though, which wasn't quite so nice.

Danny ran his now free hand through my hair, messing it up. But I pulled away, despite the fact that I LOVE it when people run their hands through my hair. The fact that I love it makes it even worse, though.

My nose wrinkled as I looked down at my new boots, which were now covered with beer. "Sorry," Danny said, leaning down and picking up the empty plastic cup. I sighed as I looked up at Danny, wondering what I was supposed to do now.

Normally, I would talk to Harry, but Lord knows what would happen without an ocean to separate the two, like there normally is between Harry and whatever guy has recently stolen my heart. Still, who else could I talk to?

Desperate, I turned around and walked away, thanking whatever form of God there is that Danny didn't grab my arm and pull me back. I headed first for the most crowded place I could see, the dance floor, so that Danny might not be able to follow me.

I saw Jess while I was on the dance floor, and noticed that she was dancing with Tom. Go figure. I cut through the crowd, feeling sick to my stomach. I needed to find someone, anyone. Just someone who'll talk to me and tell me what to do. God, if you're really there, just show me who can help me? I really need some help right now.

As I pushed off of the opposite edge of the dance floor, I scanned the bar for a familiar face, and only found one. I looked upwards, Are you serious? Dougie sat alone at the bar, sipping some sort of alcohol through a straw and smiling at a girl a bit further down the bar from him.

Cause you look really masculine with a neon pink straw, I thought sarcastically as I trusted what I hoped was a sign, tapping Dougie on the shoulder. He looked at me strangely, "What do you want?"

"You were right," I yelled over the music, thankful that I'd had never been a problem asking for things, "I need help." Dougie's glare softened as he continued to sip the drink. He sighed, "Come on, then."
♠ ♠ ♠
I like where we are when we drive in your car; I like where we are here
Cause our lips can touch and our cheeks can brush - our lips can touch here
Well you are the one, the one that lies close to me
Whispers, "Hello, I missed you quite terribly"
I fell in love, in love with you suddenly
Now there's no place I could be but here in your arms

Here in your Arms - HelloGoodbye
Talking - Danny to Dani

Tell me that you want me, baby, tell me that it's true
Say the magic words and I'll destroy the world for you
Not before the broken-hearted marching through the street
Every city's burning to the ground under your feet
I wanna hold you, my skies are turning black, feels like a heart attack[
And I'd do anything you ask, I wanna hold you bad/i]
I Wanna Hold You - McFly
Talking - Danny to Dani

I watch your eyes glaze over, stare down at the floor
You were amazing to me, I was amazing to you, but here we go again
Didn't you love me faster than the devil? Run me straight into the ground?
Drowing deep inside your water? Drowing deep inside your sound?

Love and Memories - OAR
About - Danny and Dani

A roll of the dice, a slip of the tongue, I was stirring up the hornest's next
And if finally got me stung, whoa, whoa
I said I'd do the right thing, but the wrong was done
Now it's over, excuse my grammer, but the fat lady's sung, whoa, whoa
And I wish I was Michael J. Fox - I'd visit the past
And come back to the future (hello McFly) when I clean up my act
Well I don't know what went through my head
Was my conscience shot? Was it left for dead?
I said I'm sorry, but no one heard because actions, actions
Actions speak louder than words

Hello McFly - Relient K
Thinking - Dani

It started out with a kiss - how did it end up like this?
It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss
Now he's falling asleep, and she's calling a cab
While he's having a smoke, and she's taking a drag
Now they're going to bed and my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head but she's touching his chest now, he takes off her dress now
Let me go

Mr. Brightside - The Killers
Thinking - Dougie about Dani/Danny

Don't say a word, I know you feel the same
If you'll just give me a sign, say anything, say anything
Please don't walk away, I know you want to stay
If you'll just give me a sign, say anything, say anything

Say Anything - Good Charlotte
Talking - Danny to Dani

I don't wanna hurt nobody, but my heart just can't hold back
It's the way that you make me feel, spinning my world around
Tell me, how can I walk away? I don't care what they say
I'm loving you anyway - it's the way you make me feel

The Way You Make Me Feel - Steps
Wanting to Say - Danny/Dani to Dougie/Harry

It's getting ahrd to be around you - there's so much I can't say
Do you want me to have the feelings and look the other way?
Cause I don't know how to be fine when I'm not
And I don't know how to make a feeling stop
Just so you know, this feeling's taking control of me, and I can't help it
I won't sit around, I can't let 'em win now
Thought you should know - I tried my best to let go of you
But I don't want to
Just gotta say it all before I go, just so you know

Just So You Know - Jesse McCartney
Talking - Danny to Dani

Actual Author's Note:
Yay! First comment on my stories. I'm excited.
And my lord, there are a lot of song lyrics for this one. I just can't help myself.
Also! For those of you who noticied the comment on my profile, yes, there is a sequel to this story. I already have it partly written, and it will be up the day after this one is done, quite seriously.