Boys of Summer

Coming Out and Coming Clean

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
July 5th
10:23 AM
DANI'S POV

I tapped my foot impatiently, "Well, well, well, look whose holding us up NOW, Harry." "I wouldn't be," my cousin growled as he pulled on a sock, "If you hadn't taken thirty minutes in the bloody shower. Who takes that long?" "People who want to smell nice," I explained, sitting on the couch in his room happily.

"YOU GUYS TAKE FOREVER," Tom called as he banged on the door, "WE'RE GOING TO BE LATE!" "No we won't," Harry sighed, rolling his eyes as he grabbed his shoes. He pushed open the door, leaving me to saunter calmly behind Harry as he rushed towards the door.

Tom looked at me oddly, "What're you so happy about?" "I'm not the reason we're late," I said simply, smiling quite obviously. "Congratulations, but we are still late," Dougie snapped from the hall, "So if you could just move your fat ass, we could all go that much quicker."

"Oh, go make out with your lizard." "At least she's prettier than you," Dougie spat back. "Which means she'll turn you down," I said, knowing the retort wasn't one of my best. But let Dougie try to tear me down: I'M NOT THE REASON WE'RE LATE!

The fact made me inflate my chest with pride, pinning my shoulders back and looking very snotty and cocky. It only took Danny walking in to make me feel shameful once again. He didn't look at me as he slid in through the door and into the kitchen.

"Everybody, let's go," Harry called as he ran out the kitchen, and out the door. Sighing, I slipped behind Dougie in the line of people marching out, Danny at the front and Tom right behind me. Car rides; it didn't occur to me just how much would be awkward if I tried to avoid Danny. Where am I going to sit in the car?

Alas, Danny took care of that when he sat in the front seat, as opposed to joining me in the back like he normally does. Oh, yay, as opposed to the guy who hates me right now, I get to sit next to the guy who hates me ALL THE TIME.

I slid in next to Harry, wondering why I wasn't allowed to have the window seat. I mean, I wasn't even the one to make us late this time! And I think Dougie might have a knife to stab me in the chest. That might be overestimating him, but still, I don't want to take chances.

It was a twenty minute drive to the studio on the outskirts of London. I had the routine down by now for a performance: tune instruments, make-up, re-tune instruments, relax, tune for the third time, have one last Red Bull, go perform. My favorite part is, obviously, the relaxing.

But, just like the car drive to the studio, breakfast this morning (which was more of a brunch,) late-lunch at a Chinese place, and every minute in between the aforementioned events, it was ruined. Neither Danny nor I wanted to talk, because we didn’t want to risk talking to the other person.

The other three boys knew what was going on to some degree, Dougie knew everything (a first), and Harry didn't care much what exactly had happened: he'd demand an explanation from me later. Tom, I think, just wanted to try and not force us to converse, and possibly fight, before they performed.

I sat in the dressing room, not staring at the monitor that had been brought in for me, just letting the words of 'Transylvania' wash over me - I love this song. It's very different, from what I can tell, from their normal stuff, and I love their normal stuff too, but there's something about this song that attracts me to it.

And though I hate to see it, I think it's because Dougie wrote it. I find I like most of the songs that Dougie writes. I dislike everything else about him, but I like the songs he writes. Go figure.

Tom's Car, London, UK
July 5th
12:32 PM
DANI'S POV

I bit my lip as I sat in the car ride home, knowing that when we GET home, I'd have to talk to Danny, without getting into a fight, about our relationship, and the reasons against it, and how they're bigger than the reasons for it. Jess has already called me three times to see if I've done it yet, so if I don't do it as soon as we all get home she might murder me.

My cheek became its natural piece of gum when Tom pulled up to the apartment complex. "Uh," I said as everyone started to get out of the car, "Can I talk to you, Danny?" Danny's eyes flashed, locking with mine. No one gave him a chance to respond as Harry and Tom dragged Dougie into the building.

Danny sighed as he watched his friends abandon him. He crossed his arms, then, leaning against Tom's car, "What?" "You know what. We can't spend my last few days like this." Yes we can. "Yes we can."

"No," I said, fighting every instinct in my body, "We really can't." Danny looked around, avoiding looking at me. "Danny," I said, not sure how to start this conversation, "I'm not a fling kind of girl, and neither of us can do a long-distance relationship."

Danny nodded, looking stubborn. "It isn't because I don't like you, Danny." "I know," he said, and I was reminded of the time I was fourteen and had to make this same speech to the ten year old boy down the street about why I was going to school far away. Only I was lying back then. I don't know if that makes it more or less awkward.

"This isn't just because of Harry and whatever promise I made to him." "Yes it is," Danny responded, kicking at the ground. Then, as if he had an epiphany, he looked up at me, "What's so bad about a fling, anyway? Most of the relationships I have are flings."

"Yeah, and that's fine for you, but flings just aren't for me. I like relationships that have time to grow, not a few quick make-out sessions while I'm on holiday." Oh God, I just said 'on holiday.' I need to get out of Britain... fast.

"Flings aren't just a bit of snogging; they can be just as nice as real relationships." I raised a questioning eyebrow, and Danny sighed, his shoulders falling. "Okay?" "Alright," Danny responded. "Can we be in the same room now?" Danny nodded, and I hugged him.

"Tell the boys I'll be up in a minute," I said, flipping out my cell phone. Danny nodded as he made his way towards the door. I quickly dialed the number, "Jess?" "Did you talk to him?" "Yes," I said, moving and sitting on the back of a nearby bench.

"How did it go?" "It was awkward," I admitted, flinching when I felt the pain in my cheek, "But I think it's all good." "He knows you're not a fling-girl?" "Yup." "And so nothing will happen?" "Yes," I responded, sighing.

"Good girl." "Do I get a cookie," I questioned sarcastically. Jess laughed, "I'll see you before you leave, then? I actually wanted to go and see a movie soon." "Definitely," I agreed, nodding as if she could see me.

At that, we both hung up the phone. I stood on the bench, folding and unfolding my leg over the back of the bench. I tried not to notice that my other heel caught on the back of said bench and I fumbled to get that foot onto the ground to regain my balance.

Once I did, though, I straightened, knowing that no one would pay attention since none of the boys were around, and made my way to the apartment building. The doorman, Ralph, nodded at me. I smiled back at him, not having any other sort of relationship with him that would require stopping and talking.

A few minutes later I stood at Dougie and Tom's door. The boys usually go back to Dougie and Tom's because it's a floor lower, so it's less waiting time on the elevator. Giving my cheek one last calming bite, I knocked on the door, "Hey, guys? Can you let me in?"

Confused at the silence in the apartment, I banged again, "Come on, guys, it's Dans." Still, I heard nothing. Dismissing the idea that they had gone to Harry and Danny's apartment, I banged again, "Haha, very funny, now will you please let me in!?"

The elevator dinged, and I looked over to see Dougie. "Hey, Dans," he said, his brow furrowing, "What're you doing down here?" "Why were you in the elevator," I questioned in return. "Because I wanted to feed my lizards," Dougie said.

For a moment, we stood there. Finally, I spoke, "You guys went to Harry and Danny's apartment, didn't you?" "Tom said at lunch that we didn't have any food in our apartment," Dougie admitted, smiling awkwardly. I nodded, "What I get for not listening to anything."

Dougie continued to smile awkwardly as he brushed past me, shoving his key into the lock and turning it. "You, uh, want to help me feed them?" "Sure," I responded, not sure what else to do. He's here, might as well go back up with him.

I followed him through his apartment and into his room, which I'd never been to before. He crossed the room, which was surprisingly clean (though still messy by many people's standards), to his terrarium.

Not really minding me standing in his doorway, studying his room, Dougie continued to go through the normal process of feeding his lizards. I looked around - his room was a light blue, covered in posters of Blink 182 and other various bands. He had a dresser, a desk, and what must've been a bathroom to the left. It was a lot like Danny's room, just with lizards and a different color.

"Aw, damn," Dougie muttered as he looked down at his feet, "Dans, can you hold Zukie for me? I've dropped his skin medicine and I don't want him running around on the floor." I nodded, crossing the room and grabbing the lizard from Dougie's arm.

Quickly, he dropped to his knees, digging through the clothing. I grimaced when he held up the tube, which smelled like ass, triumphantly. He jumped up, spreading some more cream on the lizard's, Zukie's, back. "He has a skin infection," Dougie explained.

"Oh, really?" "Yeah," Dougie blushed. He then took Zukie from me carefully and laid him back down in the terrarium. "You're different, Dani," Dougie blurted randomly. "What?" "I've asked other girls to hold Zukie, and some of them have cried." I laughed, and Dougie blushed, "Okay, so that was an exaggeration, but you get my point?"

I nodded. "And you didn't think twice about it." "I've never had time to think twice about lizards and snakes," I responded. "Yeah, well, you're different." I smiled at his blushing face, very confused. Was Dougie being nice to me? Could it be that he's paying me a compliment?

As we made our way into the elevator, though, I could've fallen over, "And thanks for talking to Danny. If you hadn't, well, it would have been hell." I grinned nervously, "I had to, didn't I?" Dougie shrugged as the elevator opened and he led the way to the apartment.

So, what, I kiss Danny, apologize(by force of Jess), and Dougie likes me? Damn, I'm lucky.

"Oh, and by the way, nice trip outside. You like fall?" My mouth dropped as I tried to refrain from smacking him, Well, there goes THOSE points he just earned with me.

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
July 6th
1:19 PM
DANI'S POV

I sighed as I sat on the couch, wondering what the band had in store for me today. I think it was supposed to be a day off, which means sleeping 'til noon and, hopefully, something fun to do for the rest of the day.

And, indeed, the boys did wake up at noon. And then they congregated in Harry's room and locked me out. I feel like I'm five and the boys are convinced I have cooties again. Only this time Mom isn't going to yell at them. I'm going to kick their butts when they come out.

Suddenly, a door opened, and I saw Harry and Danny slip through the hall into the kitchen. My brow furrowed, "Guys, I can see you." I heard, then, excited mutterings, followed by Harry lunging over the bar of the kitchen. He fell on the ground and continued to scramble at me.

I screamed in surprise as Harry dove onto me, attempting to pin me. Too bad he hasn't been able to pin me since I turned thirteen. Quickly, I pushed his arms off me, jumping the couch, and hoping for a clean getaway.

There was no such luck as I felt Harry grab my leg, pulling me back down. Any other time I would've panicked, but I stayed calm as I kicked my feet out of Harry's hands, into his chest and consequently letting my leg fly into his face, and used my lower leg to pin his chest and my arms to lock his own arms above his head.

"1... 2... 3," I called. I let Harry up, and I heard him breathing as he stood. He turned me around to face the kitchen, where I saw Danny with a camera, laughing. Harry put an arm around me, "And that, ladies and gents, is my cousin Dans."

I looked oddly between Harry and Danny, "What is this?" "This is a home video," Harry said happily. "So you have to introduce me?" "This isn't a home video that stays at home." "Then is it really a home video?"

Harry had no time to explain as Dougie dove at him from behind. I, luckily, had seen him running from the hall and had enough time to jump onto the coffee table. I balanced precariously as Dougie and Harry wrestled on the couch, and continued to perch there until they were done.

Danny was still recording from the kitchen, and I rolled my eyes at the three of them. Tom walked in then, calmly. He held a hand out to me politely, "M'lady." My nose scrunched as I took his hand, "You guys are weird on your videos."

Without any warning, but still fairly predictable, Tom pulled me down. It was only a matter of moments until I flipped him. I glanced over at Harry, giving him a high-five as he straddled Dougie on the couch.

"Aw, that was awesome," Danny cried. "Is that what you guys have been planning all morning? An attack on me?" "To introduce you properly to the world," Harry said proudly. "Oh, yay," I said sarcastically, "A coming out party. You all are fucked up."

We spent the rest of the day around the house, making the 'home video,' which consisted of them messing around on camera. They claimed that they would also videotape the next day, and everyday until I left to collect pieces for the published home video that would go on their next DVD.

Oh, that was fun.