Boys of Summer

The Great Escape

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
July 11th
9:16 AM
DOUGIE'S POV

I sighed as I looked at the note with trembling hands, my eyes begging for the sleep they so richly deserved. The band would kill me for this, Harry would kill me for this. But I felt I had to do it. The girl so obviously wanted to get away from the band for a while, and I'm part of the band, but we've never really spent time together.

I mean, Harry is her cousin, and her and Danny have obviously spent time together, and everyone knows that she and Tom hang out nearly every night that we all don't all fall asleep immediately. But she and I never really had anything to bond over.

And better late than never, right?

I taped the note to the cupboard, sure to be the first place that Harry looked in the morning, hopefully before he noticed Dani was missing. Then, feeling very sly, I slipped into Harry's room, grabbing Dani's suitcase and dragging it into the hall.

I flinched when I heard the door slam, but trusted the fact that Harry wouldn't wake up. After all, what reason was there to? I continued to drag the suitcase down the hall towards the large windows, which provided me with light to pick out something for Dani to wear.

The sheer power of what I had was in my hands, and in my mind I blew it outrageously out of proportion. But then again, this is clothing. Didn't all girls love clothing? Well, most girls did, and I'm sure Dani is no acceptation to that rule, seeing as how she's gone shopping with Jess around forty times in the two weeks she's been here, and always comes back with something.

My eyes traveling over what I assumed to be clean clothes, I plucked out a shirt, first. It was very cool shirt, in my opinion - gray, vintage-looking with what appeared to be some sort of band-logo on the front. More importantly, it wasn't some pre-washed, wanna-be vintage, Dani had actually worn this to its vintage-state. It was obvious by the way it laid and the shape of it.

Next were some jeans. They didn't seem so important, and so I just grabbed a nice, dark pair. They had a bit of writing on them, but I tried not to mind as I then rooted through the suitcase for socks.

Giving up my search in the main compartment, I closed it and opened the front ones. Imagine my surprise when I found, along with socks, a nice assortment of underwear. Grinning evilly to myself, I shoved some for her in the pocket of her jeans. She'll hate me for that, I'm sure.

Dragging the suitcase carefully back into Harry's room, I squinted to find her purse, which was hanging on Harry's bedpost. I shoved the clothing inside and snuck back out, this time closing the door quietly behind me.

Swallowing what little pride I felt I had, I lifted the bag over my head so that it rested snugly on my left shoulder, across my chest. Finally, grabbing the fedora from the couch and letting it rest atop my own head, despite the fact that it was too small, I only had one more item to transport, this one more delicate and dangerous than the rest.

Danselle.

I bit my lip as I pushed back the coffee table to give myself room, hoping that she inherited Harry's heavy-sleeping. I then kneeled, hooking my arms under her knees and back as I had last night. Struggling, and resolving to start working out more, if at all, I lifted Dani.

At first, her arms flailed dangerously. Worrying that they might be hurt in an unplanned turn, or something of the sort, I scooted around until one arm rested on her stomach, the other over my shoulder at an awkward angle.

Sighing once again, I entered the elevator, Well, this should all make for a very interesting day.

On The Road, UK
July 11th
10:12 AM
DANI'S POV

I groaned as I sat up, Damn seatbelt, digging into my ribs.... seatbelt? Feeling hazy, I sat up, realizing I wasn't in the apartment, or in the park, or anywhere else recognizable. I was in an unknown car, driving along the highway.

Oh, shit! I should've listened to Harry! Oh my god, I'm so screwed! Why am I such an idiot?! W- "Oh, you're up," I heard someone casually exclaim from the driver's seat.

I squinted into the sun, "Dougie?" "Happy Birthday, Dans." I groaned, "What sort of birthday is this?" "It's a day off McFly." I smirked as I fell back into the seat, letting the driver seat block the sun from my soar eyes, "And what pop-band are you a part of, Mr. Poynter?"

Dougie laughed lightly, "At least I'm the least protective of you." I couldn't argue with him, "So, Harry now about this little escapade?" "He will once he reads the note," Dougie replied casually. "You didn't tell him?" "He wouldn't have let you go, even if it was with me."

I rolled my eyes, once again not able to argue, "You're going to die." "Yeah," Dougie agreed. For a moment, then, a calm, comfortable silence fell over the car. "There should be some clothes on the floor."

My nose wrinkled as I picked up my purse from the ground, pulling out my jeans, "You got me clothing?" "Obviously this wasn't very planned, or I would've had you get your own clothing, but yeah, I grabbed some for you. There should be some aspirin in your back jeans pocket. Oh, and your shoes are on the seat up here," Dougie said, holding up my converse to prove to me that he really did have them.

"That's... very thoughtful." "Thanks." "Now where do I change?" "Oh, I was thinking we'd stop at some diner along the way, so you can change in the bathroom. That alright?" "Fine," I said, taken aback by Dougie's sudden behavior towards me.

But something about his words bothered me. "Along the way to where?" Dougie smirked as he glanced at me in the rearview mirror, shaking his blonde bangs out of his eyes, "You'll see." I groaned, "Suspense is the worst, you bitch." "Get over it."

For a few minutes, Dougie drove in silence. I took the aspirin and closed my eyes as I lay in the back seat, my feet smashed against the window as I let my head rest against the cushioning that was the clothing Dougie had brought for me. I wasn't surprised, though, when Dougie parked in front of a dodgy looking diner, despite that fact that I couldn't see a thing with my eyes closed.

"Here are your shoes, socks are in your... front pocket, go get changed and I'll get us a table." "You know," I commented as I stretched, my bare feet feeling odd against the cement, "For something that wasn't planned, you sure did plan it well."

Dougie smirked, "Just go change, before you smell." "Which reminds me, did you happen to remember deodorant?" "We'll pick some up somewhere," Dougie promised as he walked towards the entrance to the diner.

I rolled my eyes, grabbing my purse from the car and slamming the door shut as I followed the signs to a restroom. I slipped on my socks and shoes before walking in and changing in the stalls, generally pleased with Dougie's choice of outfit, and not as annoyed as I should've been when I found that he'd managed to find my underwear.

"Nice pick on the thong, Dougie," I commented as I joined him in the diner. Dougie smirked at me, plucking my fedora off his head and setting it on me, "There, now you look beautiful." "Now?"

"Can I get you anything," a waitress questioned, standing with her hip jutted out as she held her pen and notepad in one hand. "Coffee," Dougie requested. "Just a glass of milk," I requested, my legs folding naturally underneath me.

Dougie snorted as the waitress walked away. "What?" "Milk?" "I happen to like milk - it is an excellent source of calcium." "I can't believe you're seventeen." "Hey," I protested lightly, "I am not seventeen until 6:02 Eastern Time."

"Which would be when in normal people time?" "11:02 here," I responded, rolling my eyes. "It's only ever a five-hour difference." Dougie shrugged as the waitress brought us our coffee and milk. "You guys ready to order, yet?"

"Not yet," Dougie said bashfully, picking up his menu as if he would actually be deciding any moment. Annoyed, the slightly overweight waitress walked away. Not minding her irritation, Dougie took a sip of his coffee, spitting it back out almost immediately.

I raised an eyebrow at him from over my menu, "Well, that was pleasant." "Hot," Dougie said, fanning his tongue. Swallowing, he finally seemed to have the temperature of his tongue under control. "Can I get some of your milk?"

"After you made fun of it? No, you've hurt it's feelings." "Please, just a little to poor in." "Poor in a lot of half and half." "The half and half won't cool it," Dougie insisted, "Please?" I shook my head, looking back down at my menu and trying to remember what bangers and mash were.

Not having to look, I slapped Dougie's hand away from my milk when the lady returned, "Decided yet?" "I'll just have some eggs," Dougie said, rubbing his hand. Baby. "I'll have the special," I decided, not sure what the special was, but it had whipped cream on it, how bad can it be?

On The Road, UK
July 11th
11:42 AM
DANI'S POV

I groaned as I sat in the car, my stomach rumbling, "Why was the special so goddamn small?" Dougie smirked as he looked at me, "Get your feet off the dashboard, this is a rental." I pouted, "Have you no sympathy for the birthday girl?" "Not if the birthday girl doesn't let me steal some milk for my scalding coffee."

"Stealing is illegal," I protested. "So is getting this car dirty, feet down," Dougie replied, but didn't push the matter. Accordingly, I let my feet rest on the dashboard. My stomach grumbled again, and Dougie sighed, "So, how about an early lunch?"

"Just do fast food. I can trust fast food," I insisted, and Dougie nodded. "First McDonalds we see, then, after a half hour." I nodded, comforted by the fact. "Dougie," I said, "What time did you start driving?" "Round 9:30, why?"

"Well, Harry once told me that no place in England is more than six hours away." "He was telling the truth," Dougie said, smiling. "So, how far are we going?" "Maybe six hours, maybe another twenty minutes." "Do you even know where we're going?"

"Yes, and you'd better start being nice or we won't go at all." "We're probably just going to some hole-in-the-wall dive-bar you had your first shag in." "I did not have my first shag in some hole-in-the-wall dive-bar," Dougie protested.

I smirked, "Oh, right, Harry told me you're still a virgin." "Now, that is going too far," Dougie said, smirking. I smiled in return, liking that there wasn't any anger or animosity between us.

My brow furrowed as my cell phone rang, jumping around my purse on the floor of the car. Reaching forward, I snatched it out. I smirked as I read the caller ID, "I think Harry found the note." "What?" "Harry's calling, and I think it's for you."

Dougie grabbed my phone from me, glancing down at it for a moment before throwing it into the backseat, "We can get told off tonight." "That wasn't very good driving," I pointed out. "Well, that's fine, I don't exactly have my license."

My eyebrows shot up, "What?" "I've taken lessons, I just never got around to taking the test. I've got my permit." "Don't car rental places require that you have a license?" "I showed them my permit and slipped them a twenty." I rolled my eyes, "You've been a designated driver!" "Yeah, ironic, huh? I don't even have to be drunk and I can get us in an accident."

At that, Dougie twisted in his seat, checking to make sure no cars were coming as he switched lanes. I sat in the seat, amazed at him. "What happens if you get caught?" "Jail, I suppose. License revoked. Stuff like that." "And you're willing to do that for my birthday?" "No big deal."

During that moment, my mind went over last night, and how Dougie seemed to be doing an unnerving amount for my benefit lately. But I also found I couldn't remember clearly what had happened last night.

So I asked Dougie about it, and he told me, very nonchalant. "You punched him?" "Yeah, what else could I do? He called me an elf and attacked you." "But he's, like, over six feet tall." "So? You still managed to beat him into the wall and in four-inch heels, no less."

I smirked, leaning over and wrapping my arms around Dougie, not minding the fact that he was driving since there didn't seem to be anyone within ten miles of us, "Thanks, Dougie." I could see him smirk as he checked the rearview mirror, switching lanes again.

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
July 11th
11:44 AM
HARRY'S POV

I sighed as I slammed the phone down, "I can't believe it, I can't believe he'd do such a thing! I mean, I know he's only nineteen, but how dimwitted can he be? Taking her out? And we have two interviews today, too! AND a performance! What would possess him to-"

"Relax, Harry, this is Dougie. He's dim-witted, but he isn't stupid." I looked at Tom with a 'do-you-hear-yourself? look, and Tom continued, "Anyone could've seen that Dani needed a break from us, especially since she's going to be spending the next month by our sides. And think about it, who would you rather she be with?"

"Me! You! Danny!" "What," Danny questioned as he stumbled out of his room, rubbing the sleep from his eyes, "Did I wake up late again? Whatever happened with Dani last night?" "You would really want Danny to take her," Tom questioned as Danny walked into the wall separating the doorways from the hall to the den and the kitchen.

"Well what about me or you?" "We'd just be overprotective of her, you know that. It's in our nature." "She needs to be protected," I replied bitterly, glaring at the phone. "No, she really doesn't. She's bright, and so is Dougie. At least, more than anyone'll give him credit for. Trust them. Besides, didn't they make a pretty good team last night?"

I glared at my logical band mate, "What are you trying to do? Make them fall in love?" "Not at all, though that would be interesting."
♠ ♠ ♠
Got up on the wrong side of life today, yeah, crashed my car and I'm gonna be really late
My phone doesn't work cause it's out of range - looks like it's just one of those kinds of days
You can't kick me down - I'm already on the ground; no you can't, but you couldn't catch me anyhow
Blue skies, but the sun isn't coming out, no, today it's like I'm under a heavy cloud
And I feel so alive, I can't help myself, don't you realize
I just wanna scream and lose control, throw my hands up and let it go
Forget about everything and run away, yeah
I just wanna fall and lose myself, laughing so hard it hurts like hell
Forget about everything and run away, yeah

Avril Lavigne - Runaway
Talking - Dani/Dougie to Harry

So-so's how I'm doing if you're wondering; I'm in a fight with the world but I'm winning
Stay there, come closer, it's all at your own risk; yeah you know how it is, life can be a bitch

Avril Lavigne - Runaway
Talking - Dani to Dougie

Throw it away, forget yesterday, we'll make the great escape
We won't hear a word they say - they don't know us anyway
Watch it burn, let it die, cause we are finally free tonight
Tonight will change our lives, it's so good to be by your side
And we'll cry, but we won't give up the fight
We'll scream loud at the top of our lungs, and they'll think it's just cause we're young
That we feel so alive

Boys Like Girls - The Great Escape
Talking/Foreshadowing - Dougie to Dani