Boys of Summer

Going All Introspective and Retrospective

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
July 14th
7:18 PM
DANI'S POV

I sighed as I sat at the very cramped dinner table, oddly distracted by whatever was shiniest at the moment - I'm feeling very ADD right now. Jess sat to my right, Harry to my left, and Dougie right across from me.

It was very awkward placement for me and Dougie - every now and then our eyes would catch, and neither of us knew how to respond in the presence of our friends. That's probably why I'm not partaking in the conversation - I don't want any contact with Dougie in front of our friends.

If you want to look at this all introspectively, at least.

Jess laughed next to me at something Dougie said, bringing me back to conscious-life. I looked between the two curiously, earning an odd stair from Dougie. 'You alright' he mouthed, his brow furrowed as Tom expanded desperately on whatever Dougie had said.

In what was meant to be a dismissing, smug, and cute gesture, but in retrospect was probably very worrisome and unnerving, I shrugged and rolled my eyes. Not bothering to study Dougie's reaction, I let my eyes end their dismissing gesture by falling on my plate, full of home-made goodness courtesy of Jess and Tom.

But not Danny. Oh lord, not Danny.

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
July 14th
9:32 PM
DOUGIE'S POV

I felt cramped and hot as I sat on the loveseat, unable to stretch my arms due to the fact that Tom had his arms splayed across the back of the couch to envelop Jess. I was also unable to stretch my legs, due to the fact that there was simply a lack of room on the loveseat which was only meant for two people.

I eyed the lovers, annoyed at their unabashed affection - Jess was cuddled under Tom's arm so happy, so content. And here I was, miles away from my girlfriend, hot, sweaty, and cramped.

Cautiously, I turned my gaze from the lovers to Dani, whom I'd been worrying about since her return from the walk with Jess. Not that I expected her to jump into my arms and give me a kiss on the lips when she got back, but I was at least expecting a 'hello' or a nod or something.

And then that shrug at dinner - it was lifeless, almost depressing. That wasn't the Dani I knew - the Dani I knew persevered over sadness and hardship, and she didn't let things get to her. Except, you know, her father. But how understandable is that?

Over-heating increased the feeling of cramped-ness as the climax of the movie we were watching came to pass, which I could tell not because I'd been paying attention, but because of the slow-motion movement and the grand music.

"I think I'm gonna make a bathroom run," I said, trying not to groan as I stood and felt my legs buckle from disuse.

"Thanks for the announcement," Harry rebutted sarcastically.

I slipped through the shadows of Harry's room and into the bathroom, enjoying the feeling of cool water and space as I splashed said liquid on my face. Placing both hands on each side of the sink, I looked up into the mirror and watched as the droplets fell off my face and onto my shirt.

Disgusted with the sweaty rag, I tore it off my torso, convincing myself that Harry was NOT so much taller than me that I couldn't borrow one of his shirts. I left it sitting on the ground in the bathroom, so I didn't have to cart it around for the rest of the night.

I turned, then, and opened the door to find my senses shocked. First I went blind from the unexpected light, and then deaf from a semi-familiar scream filling my ears. I struggled to open my eyes and see why Dani was screaming, and that's when I realized why she was screaming.

She had stopped screaming by then, though we both knew it was too late as Harry rushed in, followed by Jess, then Tom, and then a very confused and disheveled Danny.

"What?" he questioned before looking between me and Dani, and bursting out laughing. "Dougie! You caught Dani in her bra! Spot on, man!" The Bolton-idiot doubled over, "And you're half naked! Brilliant!" He continued to laugh as he turned, heading back into the living room... where he was still laughing.

Tom looked at me oddly, Jess with appall, and then both turned to follow Danny into the living room. Harry stood, hip jutted out as he relied on his tapping foot to communicate, "What're you doing?!"

"Uh, I thought he was in the other bathroom," Dani cut in, smiling bashfully as she covered her stomach. Oh, yeah, that's what I'm looking at Dans. That's what you should be worried about. Just keep covering your stomach.

"I was, um, going to borrow a shirt."

Harry's brow wrinkled, "From Dans?"

"From you," I nearly shouted. Dani laughed as Harry shook his head, turning to walk out. She leaned down and grabbed the shirt she'd dropped when I walked in. I laughed quietly as I walked towards her, "Well, that was a close one, aye?"

"What do you mean a close one," Dani questioned as she looked at me, fiddling with her hair to perfect it after pulling it through the cotton T-Shirt, "That was an accident."

"So they think," I replied slyly, placing my hand on the small of her back and pulling her in closer for a kiss. I smiled when she fell into me willingly, suddenly not minding how sweaty either of us were.

But the kiss was cut short when we heard our bumbling friends down the hall. Oh, I kind of like the sound of that. OUR friends. I smirked at Dani after glancing over my shoulder, making sure no one was coming for us.

"Get your shirt on, you sneaky little planner, you." Dani smiled as she poked me in the chest, effectively forcing me to back off, and I was relieved as she walked out the door. She seemed normal again. Whatever funk she'd been in, I could only hope it was over.

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
July 14th
11:09 PM
DOUGIE'S POV

It's not over, I sung in my head, reminiscent of Harry as I let my hands support my chin and gazed at Danny, assured of not being caught by the video games being played in front of us. Dani sat on the couch, laying down and looking at the ceiling, giving a very melancholy-like vibe.

"You sure you don't wanna play, Dans," Harry questioned from over his shoulder, "This was your favorite game on the ride back from Wimbletown."

"No, I'm good," she replied, her voice void of most any emotion.

"Hey Dans," I called, "Can I have a talk with you? Out in the hallway?"

"Uh," both Dans and Jess shot me strange looks, but Dans stood to join me, "Sure."

I led the way out the hallway, which was even more humid, as Danny shouted in a single breath behind me, "OHMYGODDOUGIEGOTHOTWHENHESAWDANISTARKERSANDNOWHEWANTSTOTALKTHERABOUTIT!"

As soon as the door shut behind us, I grabbed her hand and pulled her closer. "Dougie, no, I'm not in the mood," she sighed, pulling her hand out of mine.

"Dans, what is it? What's wrong?"

"Oh, what, cause I don't feel like snogging in the hallway like some high school misfit something must be wrong," she snapped, turning her back on me and crossing her arms stubbornly.

"You've been acting weird ever since dinner," I defended, "Something is wrong." I could see Dani's brow furrow from behind, and she turned on me.

"When were you gonna tell me about Jess?" I knew it was supposed to be a question, but it was more of a demand, really.

But still, it took me a minute to realize what she was saying, "What? Is that what all this is about? Me and Jess had a slip-up a few years ago, no big deal. We were drunk, we were tired-"

"She said you weren't drunk," Dani whispered, obviously fighting the urge to yell.

"How would she remember? She was pissed," I pointed out.

"Would you do it again?" Again, it was a demand.

"What? What kind of question i-"

"The first night, that night we all went to the party and I kissed Danny, you ASKED her to go home with you if she wasn't still interested in Tom!"

"It was a JOKE! God, doesn't anybody get the concept of easing the tension?"

Her hip jutted out, eerily like Harry's had only an hour or so before, and she raised an eyebrow at me, "That was breaking the ice?"

"Yeah." Her jaw set, Dans slapped me upside the head and turned to storm back into the apartment, slamming the door behind her.

I gritted my teeth as I turned and punched the wall opposite Harry's apartment, turning and stalking towards the elevator. I needed a smoke, to calm my nerves.

On the Streets, London, UK
July 14th
11:32 PM
DOUGIE'S POV

I can't believe I'm out of fags, I thought darkly as I flashed my ID at the old cashier, grabbing the box and heading out the door. The bell rung, signaling my exit as I turned to walk back to the apartment, shoving the cigarette between my lips and pulling out a lighter.

I was halfway home when I saw it. It was sitting in the garbage down an alleyway, and I probably would've passed it by had it not knocked down that trash can at the perfect time. It caught my eyes, and my heart melted.

From where I stood, it looked starved and no older than a few weeks. If it had a home, or if it'd stayed at home, it'd be put up for adoption soon. I kneeled down, clicking my tongue quietly at the dog.

"Here, sweets. Come here, come to Dougie." Timid, the puppy stood, unsure of itself. "I'm not gonna hurt you," I persuaded, "Come here." A few steps forward, and I rewarded her verbally, "Good dog. Come here, come to Dougie, good puppy."

I must've looked like a fool to everyone else - cigarette sticking out between my lips, making kissing noises and clicking my tongue at an obviously abused dog. HEY! TABLOIDS! COME FIND ME!

A few more steps and I scooped the dog into my arms, looking around hurriedly. I kissed the dog on the head, more out of habit with the kittens than because I thought it was actually safe to kiss. The apartment was only a little bit away, I could walk there without a struggle from the dog, probably, if I was fast.

Still puffing away at the cigarette, I adjusted my arms and started off quickly, continuing to coo at the puppy in my grasp as it lapped up the attention with wide, brown eyes.

Tom/Dougie's Apartment, London, UK
July 14th
12:02 AM
DANI'S POV

I sighed as I paced the hallway in front of Dougie's apartment, muttering to myself. I realized, after tossing for in the bed for a good hour, that I'd been paranoid and unfair to Dougie. Jealous, even, which is weird cause usually I'm the anti-jealous.

And now I have to apologize and we have to make-up, cause if we break up after one day then that's... it's really just sad. I feel like we could bounce back to whatever it is he and I were before, but it would just be a depressing story, really.

Yeah, I spent the summer in England with my cousin and three hot British boys... Well, DUH I dated one of them!... But only for a day - I wanted to keep my options open.

How moronic does that sound?

Acutely aware of the fact that it was one thirty in the morning, I shoved Harry's key into the lock and slipped into the apartment quietly. Dougie's room was the first one, and it was from under his door that I saw a dim light and heard quiet whispers.

"No, shh, you've got to be quiet! Just go to bed, I don't want to do anything anymore!" My jaw dropped as I crouched in front of his door, listening to him as he begged his slut for no more shagging. THE NERVE! And to think - I was going to apologize to him. I was going to apologize to him.

Fully prepared to give the cheating sonofabitch a piece of my mind, I threw open the door and looked around for the hussy, "Douglas fucking Poynter!"