Boys of Summer

How the Puppy was Named

Tom/Dougie's Apartment, London, UK
July 15th
12:04 AM
DOUGIE'S POV

...I froze as I saw Dani in the doorway, breathing deeply and looking furious. Oh God, what've I done now... "What?" I asked, feigning innocence as I tried to think of what else I could've done to offend her.

Girls are complicated.

The puppy squirmed in my hands, yelping and whining at me to go and see the new person. Apparently I'm not good enough for anyone anymore! Letting her go, I sighed as she scampered across the floor to leap up at Dans.

Instantly Dani's eyes softened as she leaned down to pick up the bundle of fur, "Aw." I smiled as I got up to close the door, hoping I could get away with not getting another yelling-at if I played the puppy right.

Closing the door, I gave the puppy a kiss on the nose as she squirmed to climb onto Dan's shoulder and jump at me again. "Yeah, you're just a cute little bugger, aren't you?"

"When did you get a puppy," Dans demanded, holding said puppy up to get a better look.

"Tonight - don't tell the guys. They, uh, don't know yet."

"How'd you get a puppy tonight? How do the boys not know?" Confused, Dans brought the puppy back to her chest as she walked calmly over to my bed and sat on it.

The puppy jumped unto the sheets immediately, rushing for the hold rag she'd found amusing and rolling into the blankets, "I found her on the streets."

"And you brought her into the apartment," Dani asked, jaw dropping, "Do you know what this puppy could have?"

"I couldn't take her to a shelter at eleven at night! She's staying in my room."

"What about your lizards?"

I bit my lip as I glanced between my lizards and the dog, "She's fine! Look at her! I gave her a bath and everything."

I itched at my hair as Dans laughed at my ridiculous little puppy, "I thought you were in here with a girl."

"What," I questioned, laughing at what I'd just heard come out of my girlfriend's mouth, "Why?"

"No, I don't want to anymore, go back to bed," she whined, imitating me. We both broke into fits of giggles at her imitation, and I knew that Dans and I would make it through our first fight.

I wrapped my arm around her waist, feeling very stereotypical as I whispered into her ear, "I could never do that to you." Danselle turned from looking at the puppy to look at me, seeming very unsure and young all of the sudden.

I leaned forward carefully to kiss her softly and quickly, sealing the promise with a kiss. A yelp from the puppy as she jumped off the bed clumsily brought us both out of our world, though, and we laughed as she took off running and slipping on my wooden floor.

"I should've told you about Jess," I offered, knowing that it was my job, as the boyfriend, to apologize first.

"No, no, it was ridiculous that I was so mad. I mean, that's all ancient history." Dans looked up at me, still unsure but this time with a more mature fear in her eyes.

"Of course it is," I said, answering her unasked question, "I wouldn't even dream of it now."

"Cause Jess is ugly?" Oh God, is this a trick question? Oh God, oh God...

"No?"

Dans slapped my chest playfully, "You're supposed to say that it doesn't matter how pretty she is, I outshine everyone when I walk into a room, and then continue to tell me how pretty I am."

"Oh, sorry, right," I replied, smirking at my girlfriend. I leaned in to kiss her again when a song cut us off, "Once I ran to you, now I run from yo-"

"Shit," Dans muttered as she reached into her pocket, "Hello? Uh, hey Harry... What do you mean where am I? Where am I always?... Yes, I'm with Tom... Uh, Jess? Jess is, uh, in the bathroom... Oh, you called him?" Dans turned to me, gesturing helplessly. I walked my two fingers across the back of my palm helplessly, unsure of what other excuse I could give. Whining at the inattention, the puppy barked. "Uh, no, Harry, it was just a stray, I-" Dans shrugged at me, "I went for a walk. I really couldn't sleep." Rolling her eyes, "Yes, Harry, I'm right outside the building, I'll be up in a minute. I've got to go," Dans informed, sighing as she stood and flipping her phone shut. Taking a grip of her hips, I stood to kiss her goodbye. Momentarily distracted from her definite departure, Dani wrapped her arms around her neck, pulling me down and closer to her.

"You know what I don't get," I said, mock-thoughtfully as I pulled away from her.

Rolling her eyes again, Dani smiled at me, "What?"

"Harry is over six feet tall, which is fairly tall, and you are five foot two, yet you are related. Is Harry by any chance on drugs?"

Laughing quietly at me, Dani turned to walk out the door, "Goodnight, Dougie." I stood there helplessly as she patted the puppy on the head, making her way out. I scratched then, at the back of my neck, as the puppy whined at the door for Dani to return.

"I'm with you, girl," I said, scooping up the puppy and letting her back onto the bed, I lay down next to her and held her tightly until she relaxed in my arms, resigning to sleep and yawning in my face.

[hr width="25" color="white" height="5"]
Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
July 17th
9:36 AM
DANI'S POV

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM!" I shouted at Tom as he walked into the kitchen, and he flinched.

"How are you always so loud in the morning?"

"TOM! IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!" Harry shouted, picking the singer off the ground and slinging him over his shoulder, "WHY WOULDN'T WE GREET YOU WITH SHOUTING!?"

"Ugh, why are you two here," Tom whined, "It's much too early!"

"Then why'd you get out of bed?"

"Jess kicked me out, told me to tell Dani to get down. You know, for a surprise party, you two suck at planning it secretly," Tom said, glaring at me.

"There isn't a surprise party," I said, smiling. There really isn't - well, not that Jess and I are planning anyway. There's going to be a huge party at a club in London, but me and Jess are throwing a fake surprise party while we all plan a real one for him, with a bunch of family and friends at a nice restaurant/club in London.

It's all so elaborate, I don't even get it. Would you believe that Harry and Danny came up with the idea?

Dougie's puppy, who still remained nameless, yipped at the door as I smiled at Jess, who had the final plans for the fake party laid out on the table. "Hey," she smiled at me, hunched over the plans and looking thoughtful.

I scratched my shoulder as I observed the plans with the same critical eye as Jess, "Wait, are these the-"

"What're you doing," Jess questioned, wrinkling her nose at my scratching.

"I don't know, I've been itchy the past few days."

"Hey," Dougie called as he walked into the apartment, mindlessly snaking through the living room and into the kitchen, where he kissed me on the cheek, "Morning."

"Morning," I replied, flipping my hair as I turned to wrap my arms around his neck.

Obviously, Jess knew Dougie and I are dating, and Dougie knows Jess knows.
That sounds almost as elaborate as the party-plan.

"Ew," Jess cried, "Dani, when was the last time you showered?"

"An hour ago," I defended, flipping my hair again and looking at her incredulously, "What, you think I smell?"

"Look," Jess pointed at the paper of real-party-attendees.

"What'd you get on the invitation list," Dougie questioned, wrinkling his nose the same way Jess had at my scratching. There, covering the list of Who's-Who in the McFly world, were little blackish-brown dots.

Leaning closer, Jess examined them, "Oh, God, I know what these are. Dougie, you're an idiot."

"What?! What'd I do?"

"Your dog has fleas!"

"... Fleas?"

"Dougie-" I slapped Dougie's chest, "Why didn't you give that dog a flea bath?"

"The stores were closed! Do you KNOW how late it was when I found her?"

"You gave us fleas!"

"And how is she going to explain this to Harry," Jess questioned in my defense.

I gasped as I looked at Jess, "How am I going to explain this to Harry?!"

For the most part, no one had spent time with the puppy (busy schedules and such) since Dougie brought her home. Except me, that first night. "Well, you've been spending time down here..."

"In your room, with the puppy?"

"Well, I don't know! Of the list of possible binds I figured we'd get into, fleas wasn't exactly one of them!"

"Why not," I questioned ridiculously. Not waiting for an answer, I instructed Dougie a little cruelly, "No, just go to the pet store and ask what we should do."

Glaring at me, Dougie left sans good-bye kiss. He stormed out the door, just as Danny made his way in. "Hey mate," Danny greeted blindly, confused as Dougie simply slammed the door to leave. "What's up with him?" Danny sat on one of the barstools across from me and Jess.

"His dog has fleas, and I got them."

Grabbing an apple from the fresh fruit bowl, Danny bit into it mindlessly, "Well, that's a fitting way to start a career with McFly - dirty and dis... Hey, wait, why've you got them and not anyone else?"

"Because I'm special," I spat at Danny, too annoyed and sure of the singer's need to be agreeable.

"Sorry," the boy apologized, biting into the apple once again and looking away.

I sighed as I turned to Jess, "Well, looks like I can't make the party tonight."

"Why not?"

"It'll be a miracle if none of you are infested - I can't risk giving everyone at that party fleas."

"I agree," Danny cut in, apple juice dripping down his chin. He wiped at the liquid as he continued, "It'd be irresponsible. 'Sides, I wanna see what'll happen if we leave you and Dougie alone in a room together for the night."

Danny smiled at his joke, but Jess cut him off with her own sly look, "No you don't."

[hr width="25" color="white" height="5"]
Tom/Dougie's Apartment, London, UK
July 17th
6:18 PM
DANI'S POV

"I still can't believe you gave us fleas."

"I can't believe no one else got it," Dougie admitted as we milled around his bedroom, placing little traps for the itchy buggers around all the fabrics. "These things smell ripe, don't they?"

"We're giving little Flea here her bath after this, right?"

"What'd you call her," Dougie questioned, pushing himself out from under his bed to look at me through his blonde bangs.

"Flea - she's got fleas, I'm calling her Flea."

Dougie smiled, "That'll be her name, then."

"What," I questioned as Dougie pushed himself up from the ground, smiling at me.

"We've been looking for a name, and I think that fits." Flea stretched in her corner, yawning before trotting over to Dougie happily. He smiled as he picked her up, "You're just a little Flea, aren't you?"

She squirmed out of his grasp and fell clumsily to the ground. Smirking at me, I shook my head, "Flea is a horrible name."

"It's a perfect name," Dougie rebutted, tucking my hair behind my ears and kissing me.

Butterflies became more of a nuisance than the fleas, and I pushed Dougie away softly. "Her bath after this, right?"

Rolling his eyes, Dougie started placing the traps around the room, "Yes, m'am."

"And after that you, right?"

"Yup," Dougie said, throwing the flea-bath at me, "And I might need a little help cleaning the hard-to-reach areas, if you know what I mean."

I rolled my eyes, "I'll start the water."