Boys of Summer

Paparazzi Blues

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
June 27th
12:32 PM
DANI'S POV

"Dans," a gruff voice whispered, a hand rubbing my back in small circles, "You're got to get up." I moaned, "No, I don't have to throw up yet." "You've already thrown up," the voice laughed gently, "Twice. You almost missed the toilet." "I did?" I didn't. "Yeah, I think it's safe to say you've slept through the brunt of your hangover."

I pouted as I noticed that my head no longer hurt. Rolling over, I saw that the morning-caller was Harry. Passed him, the clock screamed the time at me. I rolled out of the bed, my bare feet sliding along the wooden floor, "It's only 7:30 at home. It's too early." "I know," Harry sympathized, patting my shoulder.

Danny smiled at me as I emerged in the kitchen, "Hey there, sleeping beauty." "Feeling better," Tom questioned from the table, where he was looking over the paper. "Do you ever drink beer," Dougie smirked as he looked at the comics, a lizard perched on his shoulder. I glared at him before sitting on the counter next to the pantry, where Harry was looking for something near the back.

"Lunch," Danny offered, showing me the frying pan. I grimaced, "Dude, what is that?" "Grilled cheese," Danny defended, a distressed look on his face at the sound of my criticism. "Then why is it green with little brown spots?" "That's the cheese!" "This is why I opt for cereal," Tom interjected, raising his bowl that was half-full of milk and never letting his eyes leave the newspaper. "Here, here," Harry agreed, emerging from the pantry with a box of CoCo puffs.

I rolled my eyes, sliding off the counter and poking Danny in the side, "Move." Danny obeyed immediately, but objected when he saw me dump his grilled cheese in the trash, "What? No, what're you doing?" "Making lunch." "But-"

"Dude, let her," Dougie commanded, looking up from his comic, "She's making my lunch too, you know." I would have objected, but saw no point. Dougie raised an eyebrow before returning to his comic, "Dans, you do realize that you're wearing Harry's boxers... backwards, right?"

I looked down at myself, amazed at the revelation, "No, no I did not." The other three boys laughed at me, "When did I put these on?" "Well, you had your jeans on when I woke up," Danny offered, and Harry finished, "But I think you had on the boxers when you pushed passed me out of the toilet to throw up."

"Harry, these were clean, right?" I questioned, looking up at my cousin hopefully. Harry glanced at me, pulling his head out of the refrigerator as he eyed the boxers and ran his tongue along his lip thoughtfully, "You are wearing underwear, right?" "Ew," I responded; I'm cool with wearing other people's boxers, but I am not fan of wearing dirty boxers. There is only a certain amount of dirty I can be.

I walked out of the kitchen, leaving the butter to melt in the pan and change into sweatpants. "Danny," I heard Tom yell as I started changing; "Don't you DARE touch that pan!" "But-" "No!"

Harry/Danny's Apartment, London, UK
June 27th
12:56 PM
DANI'S POV

Harry raised an eyebrow as I sat at the table between him and Tom. Danny leaned against the counter and Dougie sat across from me, and both of boys were shoving the sandwiches into their mouths. "Dans, when did you start liking to cook?" "Never," I responded honestly, "But I had to take cooking lessons two summers ago. Part of my-"

My voice broke, but I forced myself to say it, "My father's 'be a perfect wife' phase. The only thing I remember from that summer is how to make a grilled cheese and how to sew patches onto my jeans." "You don't like your da, then," Danny questioned dumbly.

Harry stiffened next to me and I had to swallow a few times before I could respond, "We... disagree on a lot." I looked down at my sandwich, not eating but noticing Dougie looking at me strangely from across the table.

"Hey, look at this," Tom said, changing the subject quickly and handing a page in the newspaper across me to Harry. Harry laughed as he spread it out on the table. Everyone else laughed to; Tom had handed Harry the first page in the 'society' section of the newspaper, which had a large picture of Harry holding my Winnie-the-Pooh pillow as he signed autographs.

"Oh, that's rich," Danny said, leaning over my shoulder to see the picture. Harry nodded, "Hey, it's continued on page three!" Harry turned the page of the newspaper, and immediately everyone took in a sharp breath.

I guess there aren't a lot of times that one of the McFly boys are caught with a girl that they aren't with, except for one time that Dougie yelled about last night with his sister. I know that I've never been in the newspaper before, and I'll say that I don't look at all like myself. It's not even like 'the camera adds ten pounds,' I just don't look like myself.

But there I was, sneaking along behind the crowd with Dougie, our hands intertwined as he kept an eye on the crowd. He looked a lot sneakier than I did, since I was walking at a normal pace upright. "Well, that's dumb luck," Danny said, finally breaking the awkward silence.

Dougie looked at Harry with wide eyes, no doubt remembering numerous threats Harry made about anyone who touched his cousin before I came, "Mate, that is not at all what it looks like." "I know, its fine," Harry said curtly, his eyes traveling over the short article, which described how Dougie had led an unknown girl into the parking garage and could not be found for a comment.

"Didn't it occur to them to look in the parking garage," I asked, confused. "London paparazzi are not quite as intrusive as American," Danny said, laying a hand on my shoulder, "If Dougie didn't want to talk about it they weren't going to follow him, especially with Harry having that pillow." Harry and I smiled at that, but Harry still seemed a little bothered by the picture.

"Harry," I started, taking his hand. He really hates it when anyone thinks I'm dating ANYONE. But Harry was still curt, "It's fine, I know nothing's going on." Harry glanced up at Dougie for confirmation. In return, Dougie nodded profusely, "Right, nothing's going on."

"So," Tom said, "I should definitely learn to read the entire article before I show it to anyone." Everyone smiled a little at that. "Hey, Dans," Danny said, setting his empty plate down on mine and taking them both to the sink, "We've all got off today. What do you say we go sight-seeing? I take it you've never been to London before?"

I shook my head, and Tom smiled at me, "You'll love it." "Dudes, I think I'm going to not join you on this excursion," Dougie said, standing and petting his lizard's tail, "I'm kind of knackered from the tour still." "Aw, come on, Pugsley," Harry said, wrapping an arm around the bassist, "What are you going to do in the house all day alone?"

"Walk around naked," Tom offered, folding up the paper and picking up his empty-cereal bowl. He dropped it in the sink, "I've got to shower. Bye, lads." Tom walked by, kissing me on the cheek nonchalantly. I looked at Harry with a surprised expression after Tom had left, "Tom kisses people on the cheek?"

"People he likes," Harry explained, messing up Dougie's hair and patting the lizard on the head before passing his own empty cereal bowl to Danny. "I don't think Tom's ever kissed so fast." "We all kiss people," Danny said thoughtfully, sitting on the counter and playing with Harry's cereal spoon.

"Especially each other," Dougie said, also deep in thought. To prove his point, Harry took Dougie by the chin and gave him a kiss. I tried to keep a straight face, but just started laughing hysterically. I don't think being gay is funny, just Harry kissing Dougie. I know on paper it doesn't seem different, but it is in real life.

"God, do people see the way you guys act?" "A lot of the time, yeah," Danny said as I leaned on the counter next to him. He casually put an arm around my shoulders, "What, don't you kiss your friends?" "I say goodbye by making a kiss sound and saying, 'be good.' But I've always done that." "I was raised kissing people goodbye and hello," Danny said.

"That was not a parenting technique my parents utilized." "Well, then, aren't you fancy," Danny laughed. I blushed as Danny laughed at me, drawing me closer and kissing the top of my head. But, now realizing that it's what McFly apparently does, I didn't mention it, "Harry, I'm going to go shower, where are your towels?"

"On the top shelf in my closet," Harry responded, "Don't take too long, though." "I never take long showers," I defended. "What about that hour-long one three summers ago?" "You covered me with mud," I defended as I walked into Harry's room, heading towards his closet, "Half of the time was spent getting sticks and dirt out of the drain!"

Harry's laugh was the last thing I heard before I shut the door in his bathroom.

Italian Restaurant, London, UK
June 27th
7:22 PM
TOM'S POV

I sighed as I stood outside the restaurant, pacing as I held my mobile phone to my ear, waiting for Dougie to answer. Feeling a drop of rain on my arm, I took my glasses off, pulling the case out of my pocket and slipping the glasses in.

"Hello," Dougie answered. "Hey, Dougie, it's Tom." "What's up," Dougie questioned, and I heard some Blink 182 playing in the background. He turned it down as I spoke, "We're all going out to dinner, so get dressed and come over." "Where are you guys," Dougie questioned, quite obviously not interested.

"Not far; that Italian place three blocks south," I said, looking around for a street sign, "On... damn sign." I squinted to read it in the dark, but couldn't, "I can just run up and grab you." "You know, I'm really not hungry." "Dougie, you're always hungry," I protested.

"Not always," Dougie defended. "Doug, you're being ridiculous; you wouldn't come out today, you won't come to dinner, what are you doing at home by yourself?" "Stuff," the boy responded after a moment's pause. "You know I like my alone time."

"You're being rude," I said honestly. "To Dans and to Harry!" "Harry doesn't care." "He will if you keep ignoring his cousin," I pointed out. "I'm not ignoring her. I notice her-" "When you want to tease." "Well, I don't usually get to tease," Dougie pointed out.

"You shouldn't be teasing at all! She's our guest!" Okay, so I might be over reacting, but Dougie is being a baby because Dans beat him up yesterday and he was hoping that, since she was a small girl, he finally wouldn't be the runt of the pack. And I'm sorry, but that's just sad. For God's sake, the girl grew up with Harry and his siblings; she's got to know how to fight.

"She's here for two weeks, and Harry said to treat her as we would anyone else. He wants her to feel normal here." "He said to treat her normally, not cruelly." "Yeah, well, you weirded her out when you kissed her goodbye, today." "And you all explained why we ALL do that. She's fine with it now."

"So you're allowed to weird her out, but I'm not allowed to tease her?" "Exactly; Dougie, will you just come to dinner?" This is getting tiring and people are starting to notice me and who I am. I pulled my hat lower over my forehead. "No; I said I'm not hungry." "Fine," I hung up the phone, shoving it in my pocket, "Stubborn git."

I moved to go back inside the restaurant, but heard a soft voice call my name, "Tom?" I looked around before seeing a girl, bright red hair shining like a beacon in the darkness, "Jessica?" "Oh my god, what are the chances," the nineteen year-old girl responded, pushing through a small crowd to give me a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

The kiss stung with the memories it brought back, "Yeah, this is crazy! Who are you here with?" I stood on my tiptoes, looking for her boyfriend, "Not with Ian, if that's what you're thinking." "Oh, I wasn't thinking of him specifically," I lied, "Why isn't he here with you?" "Tom," Jessica said, looking at me seriously and pushing me down flat against the ground.

"Yes," I asked, taking a shuddering breath as her brown eyes collided with mine. "Ian and I broke up." "Oh," I said, at a complete loss for words. "Who are you here with, then," I asked, trying to mask my relief. "I was supposed to meet a friend of mine, but she called and cancelled. You remember Chelsea?"

Tom smiled as he thought of Jess' brown-haired friend, who had never taken to being where she was supposed to be when she was supposed to be there. It used to drive Jess crazy. "Well, since you don't have anyone to eat with, you wanna come and sit down? I'm having dinner with Danny and Harry and Harry's cousin."

Jess looked confused as I led her into the restaurant, "Where's Dougie?" I sighed as I put my hand on the small of Jess' back, leading her through the maze of tables to our more intimate, private table in the back, "He isn't hungry."

"He's always hungry," she remembered, "Is Harry's cousin that terrible?" "Not at all, she just can beat him up," I responded, smiling at her. She smiled back, and I think the pit of my stomach dropped out.

Italian Restaurant, London, UK
June 27th
7:31 PM
DANI'S POV

"Hey, everyone," Tom said, smiling as an attractive red-haired girl stood next to him, looking shy and awkward, "I believe you all know Jess. Jess, that is Dans, Harry's cousin." "Nice to meet you," she said, reaching across the table to shake my hand.

"Likewise," I said, glancing at Harry next to me. I poked him, and when he looked at me I gave him a questioning look. He glanced at Jess, then pointed to Tom under the table, then made an X with his two fingers. I made an 'oh' face, my eyebrows falling.

"So, Dougie not coming, then," Danny asked from my right side. Tom shook his head as he grabbed a chair for himself from a vacant table, "Says he's not hungry." "Well, we'll order him something. What does he like?" "Seafood," Jess said, smiling awkwardly when Tom and Danny looked at her in surprise.

Again, I poked Harry, another questioning look on my face. Harry shrugged helplessly before turning back to his menu, "So just get him something with shrimp and he'll be happy." "Another person to your party, then," our waiter asked, coming up from behind me and looking very confused. "Uh, yes, she'll have a..." Tom looked at Jess expectantly.

"I'll just have water, please," Jess said, smiling gratefully. She bit her lip as she looked over Harry's shoulder at a menu. "Here," Danny offered, handing her his menu, "I know what I'm getting." "Oh, what? I can't decide." Danny pointed to the dish on my menu, "I can't pronounce it, but it sounds good."

"See, I can't decide between that," I said, also not quite sure how to pronounce the word, "And this." "Well, just have some of mine, then," Danny said, shrugging. "Really? Thanks," I said, not believing my luck. My friends back home are so territorial about food. They're like animals.

"Hey, guys, sorry I'm late," Dougie said, smiling as he put his hands on the backs of Tom's and Jess' chair. "I thought you weren't coming," Tom said as Dougie pushed a chair between him and Danny. "Changed my mind." It was then that Dougie's face fell, "Oh, hi Jess."

Wildly, Harry poked me in the side. I jumped, but hid it by gasping and pretending to be excited, "Well, what do you know, all the D's are sitting together." Everyone, including Jess but save for Harry, raised an amazed eyebrow at me. Harry just put his head in his hands and laughed at me.

I leaned forward pretending to be reaching for a roll that the waiter had brought, "What?" Harry tried hard to conceal his laughter, "I don't know how to sign what I want to say." "Sign what," Danny asked, overhearing Harry and his giggles.

"Nothing, he's being weird," I excused. "You're the one who noticed the D's were sitting together. Did you notice that we're in alphabetical order too, then," Dougie teased. I looked at the three of us, actually a little amused, "No, I didn't."

"You aren't in alphabetical order," Tom said, confused. "Yes we are," Dougie said, looking at the three of us and then back at Tom. "Dani, Danny, Dougie." "You can't go by nicknames, though, that doesn't count." "It does so count!"

"Ahem," the waiter interrupted, carrying Jess' water and pursing his lips, "Would you like a bigger table, then?" "Uh, no, we're good, thanks," Danny said, smiling at the waiter. "Actually," Dougie said, but Danny cut him off, "We're good." He shot Dougie a look, and I wondered what was going on between the two. Is that what it looks like when Harry and I talk without talking?

"Very well, what will you have to drink tonight, sir?" "What kind of pop you have," Dougie questioned, turning awkwardly to the waiter. Oh, this will get very amusing very fast. "Hey, guys, did you know their specialty has shrimp," Dougie asked, looking sadly excited as the waiter left to get his drink. "And you make fun of me for thinking the D's are cool," I muttered, sending Harry into a fit of giggles.