I'll Tell You My Sins so You Can Sharpen Your Knife

Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me. I quit."

Dean Winchester scowled at the diner Castiel had insisted on meeting at. They were in the middle of a job, and suddenly the angel thought that disco fries were an emergency.

“Come on.” Sam sighed, starting for the door. “Before he starts looking for us.”

The diner was empty at three in the morning, except for one booth in the corner. Castiel sat next to a small girl with dark hair pulled back in a hair clip. She wore a blue candy-striped collared shirt under a thick brown sweater. And big bright green eyes.

“Really, Cass?” Dean sighed as he and his brother sat across from them. “The emergency is your new girlfriend?”

The girl snorted and spoke with a raspy voice. “Please. I’d devour him.”

“This is Sarah.” Castiel said. “Sam, Dean, you need her help.”

“With what, exactly?” Sam asked.

“She sees the truth in things.”

This was the white lie that Sarah convinced Castiel to tell the brothers. They could not know what she actually was. It would get too messy.

A waiter came over with a tray piled with food.

“The burger goes there.” Sarah pointed at Dean. “And the wrap goes there.” She pointed at Sam.

The waiter put the dishes down, set a milkshake and disco fries in front of Sarah, looked at Castiel hoping he would order something. Castiel ignored him.

“Thank you.” Sarah smiled.

“You’re a psychic.” Sam clarified.

Sarah didn’t look at him. She was digging in her purse for something. “No, I don’t like that term. It implies that I’m a fraud. Hmmm…” She produced a silver flask and poured amber liquid into her shake. She offered the flask to Dean, who took it.

“Then, what are you?” Deam asked.

She met his eyes and held his stare, almost daring him to look away.

“I just know things.” She finally broke the staring contest and stirred her milkshake. “Like that witch problem you’re working on. It’s something else.”

“Then what is it?” Dean sighed, pouring her whiskey into his soda. “Cause it sure as hell looks like witches.”

“A few lower Hindu goddesses. I can tell you how to take care of it.”

“Why can’t you take care of it?” Sam asked.

Sarah was digging into her fries. She sucked on her fingers quickly before answering. “Not a good hunter. I’m a bit of a klutz.”

More lies.

“Besides, since Cassie here showed up yesterday he’s been very concerned about my health.” She said, narrowing her eyes at the man sitting next to her. “Barely let me leave the house this morning. And will not let me take care of this myself.”

“Why not?”

“She’ll get hurt.” Castiel supplied.

Dean looked bewildered and puzzled. Sarah couldn’t blame him. Honestly, after a whole day with the angel she only knew a few things. He was devoted to Heaven, there was a whole mess to stop the Apocalypse, he took his job guarding her very seriously, and since landing on Earth he had been changed.

“So how do we…take care of this?” Sam asked.

Sarah reached into her purse and pulled out a thick, leather bound book. As she flipped through the pages and started to explain the entire situation, she felt a tug of something. Like there was something she had forgotten, and now it was in front of her and she couldn’t remember what it was.

She handed the book to Sam and stood. “Excuse me for a minute.”

Castiel frowned at her as she grabbed her coat. “I wish you wouldn’t smoke. It is very bad for you.”

Sarah rolled her eyes. “Like you can go half an hour without healing something. Anyways, it would be a better death than what's probably in store for any of us.”

They watched her go. “Where on Earth did you find her, Cass?” Dean asked.

“New Jersey.” was the reply.

Outside, Sarah leaned against the wall of the diner and looked up at the stars. What could she have forgotten? Was it even something she knew? She closed her eyes and tried to remember the feeling, but it slipped away like water through her fingers.

As Sarah finished her cigarette, Castiel came outside. “I think they have the idea.” He said, offering her purse and a takeout box to her. “We can leave.”

She was still looking at the stars. “Ever wonder about this Earth, Castiel?”

“I don’t understand what you’re asking.”

She sighed. “All of your father’s beautiful creation, and he lets us destroy it. I guess that’s love.”

Castiel looked at the stars as well. “All of the angels who fell. It was because they refused to love you.”

“And what do you think? Do we deserve that love?”

“If Father says so, then it is so.”

Sarah shook her head. “I’ll ask you again in a few years. What do we do next?”

“For now, nothing. I will take you home. I will come to you again when I need you.”

“I’m expected to just sit and do nothing?”

“Isn’t that what you’ve been doing for years?”

He had her there.

Castiel put a hand on her shoulder and suddenly she was standing in her cottage, and she was alone again.

How could she be expected to stand by and do nothing now? Knowing that shit was quickly spiraling out of control. That Sam and Dean Winchester, who for God-knows what reason have the whole thing on their shoulders, are in no shape to save anyone from anything. Not even themselves.

With a sigh she hung her coat and dropped her purse on the floor. She’d think about what she could do tomorrow, without putting herself in a vulnerable situation.

She noticed a piece of paper sticking out of her purse and pulled it out with a frown.

Dean Winchester
(307) 867-5309


She shook her head with a small smile. If only he knew.
♠ ♠ ♠
Did anyone catch the phone number thing?

Read it out loud.