I'll Tell You My Sins so You Can Sharpen Your Knife

And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.

Effingham, Illinois
Site of the World’s Largest Crucifix


They sat in the sunlight, on a large picnic blanket spread on the ground. The huge crucufix loomed behind them, belonging to none. They were quite the motley crew.

A beautiful young woman took the position at what would be the head of the table, and the grass near her seemed a little bit greener. An elderly man with one eye wore wolf fur, even if it was much too warm a day. Another white-haired man anxiously played with his lightning-bolt cuff links. A young man with frighteningly red hair tore apart a whole chicken in his hands. Finally, a beautiful Indian woman with a necklace of silver skulls, eyes flashing dangerously.

“We should have met when we first heard of this.” The one with the cufflinks said. “What are we to do now?”

“Do?” The young woman replied. “Zeus, we are not meeting to take action. We are meeting to organize ourselves. Then we will pass judgment. But not until it has been reviewed by all of us.”

“Easter, my dear, your blanket is fine for the five of us. But what you’re speaking of hasn’t been spoken of in years. A gathering of all the pantheons? Where will we hold it? And even if we found a place, coming to just a majority vote will take years.”

“That’s why we’re here today.” The one with the fox fur stated. “A preliminary vote.”

“Well, we know where your vote is, Odin.” Zeus snapped. “The Winchesters,” he spat the word like a curse, “were at fault for your last death. How long has it taken for you to come back this time, with your following so low? Five years?”

“Were they at fault?” Odin asked. “If I remember correctly, it was a member of your cousin pantheon who called that poor deranged boy in the first place.”

“And a member of your pantheon who turned out to be his brother. At least that explains that eight-legged horse abomination - ”

“Quiet.” The Indian woman snapped with a voice like a sword. “We are not here to discuss the past. What are we to do about the child?”

“She’s just a child.” Easter said softly.

“With a witch for a mother and a hunter for a father.” Zeus snapped. “She’ll be trained to kill all of us and have the means to do it!”

“Not if her mother has anything to say about it.” Odin said mildly. “I’ve met Sarah. She was very kind.”

“What’s wrong with you?” the Indian woman demanded. “Did the fallen angel rip out your fangs when he took you across the abyss?”

“Kali, my old friend, someday you too will tire of the taste of blood.” Odin wiped his mouth with a cloth napkin. “One of my more traditional incarnations was that of an old, wise sea-man. That was before the gallows tree business.”

Suddenly the whole group stopped and sat eerily still. Even the redhead, who had not said a word bus had continued to devour one chicken after another, raised his head from his meal. They listened to something far, far away.

“We need to vote.” Easter said uncomfortably. “Before we are noticed here. Do we gather the old Gods to discuss what must be done, or do we allow more time and see how the child grows?”

“We gather them.” Zeus said instantly. “And strike before the child reaches full power.”

“Give the child a chance to live.” Odin said. “If it proves to be a menace, the evidence will speak for itself.”

Kali hesitated. “It will take years for anyone to agree on anything…we call them.”

Easter smoothed down her dress. “It would be against my nature to kill a newborn, even if it takes years to decide anything. We wait until the child is older.”

Everyone focused on the redhead.

“Coyote?” Easter asked uncertainly. “You haven’t said a word.”

Coyote pulled the thighbone he was sucking on out of his mouth with a pop. He was the only one who didn’t resemble the people who had dreamed of him, but that was because he had always found his own path. He changed his own face as he wished. But his eyes might have been older than anyone else’s, meaning he was more powerful than the rest. Especially among those who had so few worshipers. They needed his approval before anything was done.

“You need my vote?” he asked, looking at them. “Hmm…eeny, meanie, miney, moe – “

“This isn’t a game, Coyote.” Zeus snapped. “Haven’t you been listening?”

“Of course I have. Death for us all.” He shrugged. “What the hell. Call them. Not that they’ll agree on anything.”

“There might be a little more direction,” Easter said slowly, “if you were to release your own pantheon from the spirit world you locked them in - “

Coyote’s glare silenced her.

~*~

“Where are they?” Dean demanded.

Sam rolled his eyes and flipped the page of his book. “I’m sure she’s fine.”

“It’s been a full day.”

“These things take time.”

“What if she’s not okay?”

“Then I’m sure that Cass will stitch her back up.”

“We’re home.”

They both looked up to see Sarah and Cass. Sarah had different clothes on, she looked exhausted, and very carefully carried a bundle in her arms. Sam immediately stood, Dean froze. Sarah smiled and walked towards them.

“Dean.” She said quietly. “This is Elizabeth Mary Winchester.” She said gently.

He looked down at the tiny face. Big green eyes blinked up at him. He let out a strangled laugh.

“Here.” Sarah said, smiling and gently placing the baby in Dean’s arms. “I’m really about to pass out. You hold her.”

As soon as Elizabeth was secure in her father’s arms, Sarah crossed the room and just about fell into the couch, closing her eyes.

“How bad was it?” Sam asked Castiel in an undertone. “Was anyone hurt?”

Castiel shook his head. “There’s about a mile of dead grass in South Dakota. But no one was around. She won’t be able to perform any spell work for a few days. She’s completely drained.” He looked at Dean. “Say what you need to. I have to go. I should bring you back first.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Something odd is happening. There’s a call on angel radio to investigate.”

“Sure it’s not about the witch-birth?”

“Positive.”

Castiel actually looked nervous, so Sam decided he should talk to his brother then go.

Sam moved to his brother to look at his niece. “Congratulations.”

“Thanks. I think.” Dean looked up from watching her sleep. “I think…I may need a little time off.”

“Paternity leave. I get it. That will make Sarah happy.”

“Yeah, well. You were right. I always wanted a family, and now I have one.” He glanced at the sleeping woman on the couch. “Thanks for waiting with me, man.”

“Anytime.” Sam clapped his brother on the shoulder, and moved towards Cass. They vanished.

Dean sat next to Sarah’s sleeping body and gently bounced his daughter. Sarah woke up when she felt his weight next to her.

“How long was I out?” she asked, sitting up.

“Barely two minutes. Go back to sleep.”

“No. What if she needs something?”

“Why do you think I’m here?”

Sarah sighed and stretched out her legs across his lap and closed her eyes again. “Make sure I don’t sleep through her first few days.”

Dean laughed. “Sure.”