I'll Tell You My Sins so You Can Sharpen Your Knife

What if nobody showed up at Armageddon?

Sam and Dean slid down the airplane exit ramp, tumbling off and heading shakily away from the crowd. The emergency landing had luckily occurred on the airport tarmac. Sam looked around. No signs of the apocalypse yet.

What Sam had done, Lilithium being the final seal, none of it had really hit yet. The brothers simply trudged forward.

"Where's the road?" Sam muttered. "We can hitch a ride back to the convent."

Dean was kneeled over and retching. His last two flights were not about to help his fear of flying.

"Sam and Dean Winchester? " a flight attendant asked.

The two looked over. "She said you'd be puking." The attendant said. She looked shaken and terrified. "She said she left something for you at the gate."

Sam got his older brother up and helped him to the bus that had arrived to get the passengers to the terminal.

"Did you see that?"

"The light?"

"God has returned to us!"

"It was just a spotlight."

"A laser."

Try the devil himself.

By the time they reached the terminal, Dean had collected himself. The brothers stopped at the gate desk and asked for something that had been left for Winchester. It was a note and Dean's keys. Dean ripped open the note. It was written on airline paper, with script that was both print and cursive orange ink.

Sam and Dean,

I won't yell at you, Sam. Enough people will blame you for letting Lucifer out. Dean, don't kill him over this.

I parked your car in Lot B, right next to the elevator, ground level. I would wait around but I have to go get Cass. I'll send him your way as soon as he's ready. I know he's supposed to be dead but I know he's back. Someone told me.

I can't explain right now, especially because the only one I have is insane. Good luck.

-Sarah


~*~

Road. Just more and more highway. It was Dean's life. He dreamed about driving. Sometimes, he wasn't sure if he was awake or asleep as he drove.

"Ever hear from that girl?" Sam asked his brother.

"Which girl?"

"The funny one that Cass brought along that one time. The girl who knew things."

"Sarah." Dean thought about the small brunette. He hadn't shown Sam the note she left at the airport. "She calls now and then. Tips me off about jobs. Still don't know how she does it."

Sam studied his brother, then looked back at the road. The first and last time they met Sarah face to face, Dean came out of the diner pale and trying to remember something he forgot. It took a day for him to find his sense of humour.

For the first time, Sam actually saw a woman having a hold on his brother.

Something beige and red was on the road.

"DEAN! STOP!"

Dean slammed on the brakes and fumbled for the emergency brake, cursing up a storm. Sam threw his hands on the glove compartment, as if it would slow the car.

The car slid to a stop inches away from the figure in the road. Shaken, the brothers jumped out of the car.

"Cass!" Dean shouted. "What the hell?"

They had seen the angel not twenty four hours before, when he announced that he was going to find God. Frankly, they didn't expect to see him so soon.

Castiel held a bundle in his arms, carefully but effortless. "Dean. Sam." The angel said evenly. "Take Sarah. Watch her."

"What - "

But the angel was gone and Dean was holding a small woman. He looked down at her. There was blood everywhere.

"She okay?"

"I don't know. There's a lot of blood. Open this door."

Sam opened the car door behind Dean's seat and hurried to the trunk to find a blanket. Dean laid Sarah across the back seat and began checking her body.

"I don't see any wounds." He called. "Not a scratch. Don't bother with a first aid kit, boyscout."

A silver glitter caught Dean's eye and he leaned closer to inspect it. A small silver pendant, etched with an angel. It miniscule letters, it said, "CASTIEL"

"God damn it." Dean breathed.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little short. But I'm on vacation.