I'll Tell You My Sins so You Can Sharpen Your Knife

My fake plants died because I forgot to pretend to water them.

Dean and Sam had reunited, though Sam often spent time with the Campbells. And Dean more often than not stayed at home with Lisa and Ben. Dean could tell something was wrong with Sam, and Sam didn't like how Dean refused to trust their grandfather. Things were tense between the brothers.

To make matters worse, they were driving through northern New Jersey when Sam suggested they stop and say hi to Sarah. Dean followed his brother's directions, biting back the now familiar She knew you weren't dead argument.

Dean pulled up in front of a small log cabin and turned off the car. The surrounding area was covered in trees, so much that you almost couldn't see the road. The cabin had some hanging baskets filled with pink flowers, all colors of climbing roses. A hammock was strung up on the porch.

Dean followed his brother up the porch steps, looking at the flowers. Sarah gardened? What did he really know about her, other than how she was better at research than most hunters.

Sam didn't knock. He simply pushed open the door and walked in, calling Sarah's name. Dean slowly followed, looking around. To his left was a living room that was completely covered in books. A pair of armchairs faced each other over a table with a full china tea service and a chess board. Another end table was set up as a summoning altar.

Up ahead, Sarah was smiling and giving Sam a hug. The bedroom to Dean's right was a mess, but the bathroom was lived in but organized. He walked faster and reached the kitchen, which was homey. She was in the middle of making something. To Dean's surprise, she came right up and hugged him.

"It's good to see you." She said quietly.

Before Dean could react, the moment was over and she was back at her cutting board.

"The stew should be done soon." She said. "You boys want some?"

"Thanks, Sarah." Sam smiled. "Can I use your bathroom?"

"You know where it is."

Sarah waited till Sam had shut the door behind him, and pulled two beers out of the fridge. "I know you don't want to hear it." She said quietly. "I know you're happy he's back. But something is wrong with Sam."

Dean studied her as she pulled bowls and spoons out of cupboards and drawers. "What makes you say that?"

She shook her head, and lied. Had she ever told him a single truth? "Something just seems wrong."

She opened a window and lit a cigarette.

"That summoning altar." He asked. "Who is it for?"

She shrugged. "An assortment. I get bored. Castiel, mostly."

"I thought he always came to you. That pendant."

She shrugged. "He wants me to save that for emergencies."

By the time Sam returned, stew was done, and Sarah was relieved to not speak to Dean.

~*~

A month later, Dean stood on that porch again. It was humid, with the Great Swamp so close. With a sigh, Dean started to bang on the door.

Inside, Crowley moved his bishop. "Check."

Sarah jumped as someone banged on the door.

Crowley sighed. "That will be Dean."

"Dean?" Sarah hissed. "Dean Winchester?"

"The very same. Right outside, actually."

"And you knew he was coming?"

"For the better part of an hour, yes. My people informed me."

He knocked again. "Damn it." Sarah hissed. She glared at Crowley. "You. Out."

"Oh, come on. Invite him to our tea party."

"Out."

Crowley sighed and stood. "As you wish."

And with that, he vanished.

Sarah quickly dumped his tea in a potted plant and ran to answer the door. Dean strode inside as soon as she opened the door. "I need your help."

Sarah scowled. "Hello to you too, Dean."

"I have a job." He explained. "Can you be on call for research? "

"Where's Sam?"

A vein visably throbbed in his temple. "With the Campbells. AND Bobby has his own work."

Sarah rubbed her eyes. "So you drove all the was out here to ask me to help you?"

"Well, you were on the way."

"How's Lisa and ben?"

"Fine. Are you helping or not?"

"Why don't I just come with you?"

"Come on, Sarah. Cass would smite me."

A flutter of wings. "Absolutely not." Castiel glowered.

"Oh, come on, Cassie." Sarah groaned. "It will be fine."

"I don't have time to look after you."

"You don't have to. Well call if we need you."

"She'll be fine." Dean reassured. "I'll be with her. She won't hunt, okay?"

"Hunting is not the issue."

"They won't find me." Sarah promised, and Dean was confused. "Just one outing, Cass. If there's an emergency, well call."

"Fine." Castiel growled. "Fine."

And he was gone, and Sarah packed a bag to hit the road.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long. And this is shoshort but I'm writing on my phone. Let me know about typos so I can edit.