Brand New Eyes

Feeling Sorry

"You're one hundred percent positive you can handle this on you own?" Levi asked while slipping my black pea coat on me.

"Levi I have to handle this on my own, it is my issue, my son," I am not mad, I just have to keep convincing my self that I don't need Levi to attend.

"Can I at least drive you to domestics and pick you up when it's over, depending on how it goes..."

"Deal," I cut him off, this was as close as I was going to get to him being in the room with me.

We walk out the door in silence, I am contemplating what I am going to say to Greyson, he will be allowed to see Levi, but he will live with me, he is my son, and doesn't need to spend too much time with his father, the last thing I want is him to be exactly like his father.

"I want him to still be a part of his sons life, no child support involved, all I am asking for is primary custody, and Levi can go see his father when ever he would like as long as it doesn't interfere with our previous plans," In the blink of an eye, Greyson, the lawyer, and I are sitting face to face.

"And what happens while he cannot decide for himself? Do I not get to see him?" He has an attitude.

"No of course you can see him, I was thinking every other weekend at your place and visitations at mine when ever during the week," Sounds fair right.

"You can't even trust me to have him for a week?" There is no way this is going to go down easy for me.

"I am his mother Greyson," I emphasize every word, "As an infant he needs me more,"

"If you are the only one raising him, I won't even exist in his mind!" And here goes the shouting.

"Ma'am," The lawyer finally stepped in, "I am under the understanding that you are no longer living with Greyson, where is your current place of residence?" She shuffled through the paper work.

"I am living with a good friend of mine, Levi is his name," I reply hoping Greyson was not playing me any attention.

"And how many rooms are in the house?" She asked writing down the last bit of information.

"Three bedrooms, a master and two decent sized bed rooms," Greyson huffed.

"And Mr. Greyson, your living conditions?" She still hasn't even bothered to look up.

"1 Bedroom apartment, but it won't matter while he is an infant he can sleep in the bedroom," he knew it was over at this point.

"And ma'am, this shows you are not making any money, but your... good friend has a very decent income,"

"This would be correct," I nodded slightly.

"Based on the information, Mr. Greyson will get weekend visitations, every weekend, and one day during the week, under your terms," She glanced up at me, "And Ms. Taylor will get primary custody," I relaxed just a bit, it is not exactly what I wanted, but it is as close as I can get.

I start to walk out of the room but Greyson doesn't let me get far, "What the hell Avery, we couldn't just do this together? I am sorry I put us through this Avery, but damn,"

"I feel no sympathy. There's no need to apologize
I've got no time for feeling sorry," I knew outside the door was Levi, and that I needed to stay strong and not break down to Greysons' apology.

"I don't deserve this Avery, I do not need this. You are going to ruin his life, and he will hate you for it," Again he is yelling.

"Well, I try not to think of what might happen. When your reality it finally cuts through. Well, as for me I got out and I'm on the road. The worst part is that this, he could have been you,"

"So now he is the perfect one? Going to tell our son that he is the real daddy, that he is the better dad? The Avery I knew would have never, but I don't know because I don't know who you are,"

"And all of your lies, they were told with fingers tied. So cross 'em tight. Won't you promise me tonight if it's the last thing you do you'll get out of my life. I am still the same person I was with the people that deserve it, you lied one too many times, and made me who I am with you Greyson, you did this, now move," I pushed him aside and walked toward the the door, then the car.