Brand New Eyes

Where the Lines Overlap

"Levi, think you could find shoes a little faster," I manage to grunt out through my moans of pain.

"I'm trying sweetheart," He is running around the house throwing everything in search of his shoe.

"Levi, the baby!" The pain was becoming excruciating.

"Got it!" Under the couch, no surprise. He slips it on and we are out the door and into the car.

The hospital is only a mile away, so the drive is quick, and they rushed me straight into the delivery room.

Levi is by my side, every second of the delivery. Greyson sitting close by. I am squeezing Levis' hand so hard, screaming at the top of my lungs.

"One more push Ms. Taylor," With that, the relief hits, I try to regulate my breathing.

"It's a boy," the nurse smiled, "Does daddy want to cut the chord?" The nurse looks at Levi.

"Well yes I would love to," Greyson stood and walked toward the nurse who's looks to me. I nodd

He cut the chord and the nurse took our son to get cleaned up and is back immediately, "Here you go Ms. Taylor," Levi is now in my arms, Greyson behind my right shoulder and Levi the left.

"He's beautiful," Levi looks to me and then Greyson, "He looks just like you," He smiles genuinely toward Greyson.

Greyson shoved the compliment off, "Can I hold him. Please," Greyson looks at me.

I hand over our son, "Of course," I glanced at Levi "No one is as lucky as us we're not at the end but oh we already won. No one is as lucky as us, is as lucky as us," I whisper the words quiet enough that Greyson won't hear. Not that it matters he's staring at Levi.

He looks at him, at Levi, with such admiration,regardless of his name, and his step father who is looking at him the same way as if he were his own.

Greyson loves his son, unconditionally, I see it clear as day, and it pulls at my heart, that Levi will not grow up with Greyson the way he could have if it wasn't for me.

And I'm making pictures where the lines overlap. Where the lines overlap.