Status: This is a story I wrote a long time ago, then started up again recently. Still have a lot of work to do.

Through the Lens

Chapter 1

Falling... Falling... Tumbling down. I don't remember what it was that caused me to fall. I was trying to take pictures of the elusive Mexican Free-tail bat in it's natural habitat. I had been photographing a mother and baby when I had fallen into this crevice.

I don't remember screaming or anything like that. the world came and went without very much light. I closed my eyes to stop my own queasiness. I only remember landing on something squishy before my head collided with a very hostile rock. My sight started to become dark with black spots as my eyes rolled into the back of my head.

Waking up a while later, well I guess it had been a while later, and only seeing a really dark cave with a spark of light coming from a torch. I groaned as I started to sit up, rubbing to locate where I had fallen on the rock. I felt my head for any sign of blood or any kind of trauma.

Lucky me, no blood, no trauma. Just a big knot that probably wasn't going to go away any time soon. I looked around, seeing the darkness again and the torch. Where it had come for was a mystery, but I was kind of glad to see it. I looked down at my camera, surprised that it hadn't fallen off my neck and broke with that fall. Still intact.

I rolled back to flip up and looked around my surroundings a bit more. I must be in another nexus of caves. I felt for my backpack, hoping for a map or a phone. I knew that I would have to find a way out of the cave so I could call for help in case of the big knot in my head was just going to become worse.

While I was searching for my bag, trying to remember if I had actually had the bag on my arm or set it down to take a picture, I heard the kick of a stone. I stopped moving, trying not to make a noise as some humanoid form started to come toward my lit area. I did the only sensible thing a young photographer in a dark cave could do.

I ran behind a big rock and pressed my back against it, praying that whatever I just saw would move along. I took a deep breath and held it, not ready to have to face whatever was just beyond the rock.

I listened, feeling my heart about to burst out of my chest.

How could I have been so careless, I thought to myself.

There was a slow shuffling of feet and the kicking of stones. a raspy voice was muttering to itself right behind my rock, groaning and moaning a little loudly. I held my breath again and started to stand up against the rock, hoping the back of my head wouldn't poke out. I looked over my shoulder and through the top of the rock. My eyes widened at the sight.

It was a humanoid, parts of skin were gone and they were showing some internal organs. Some of the grotesqueness of how the skin being kind of peeled off. The creature's right side of his face seemed to have been blown off. It's right eye was missing as well as it's lower jaw. It's steps were sluggish, like it was in slow-motion. When it turned toward me, I gasped. I was facing a zombie. It's face was contorted. It moaned, but the words actually were audible to hear.

"K-k-kitty..."
♠ ♠ ♠
Re-reading what I wrote a year ago is kind of funny, but putting it up now and actually writing it at school means I have some commitment towards it. Hopefully you guys enjoy it to. I'll say now that I wrote this part a year ago and part of the next part in the last week or 2. So it's a mix of old and new. It should be interesting.