Status: This is a story I wrote a long time ago, then started up again recently. Still have a lot of work to do.

Through the Lens

Chapter 2

I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to make sense of what I was seeing. I don't know what compelled me to think, Why is he looking for a cat? One of my initial thoughts should have been, A zombie!? Alive!?

Of course not. My reaction was to him searching for a cat. What ever compelled me to think about it was really mind boggling.

The zombie stumbled around for a while and I forced myself to stay behind the rock. Soon, the zombie's footsteps started to retreat and I let out the breath that i had been holding. I wiped my face slightly, thinking I was dreaming. I must have hit my head really hard to have these kind of delusional images.

I looked over the top of the rock and peered around, searching for the zombie that had passed by. I took a deep berath and got out from behind the rock. I wasn't hallucinating, seeing the footprints on the ground. I bit my lip, clutching the camera close to my chest. I wanted to take a picture, but part of me told me not to.

"Kitty...?" I think I literally jumped out of my skin by this point.

Goosebumps started to appear on my arms and I took a deep breath, turning. It was even more gross up close. The left eyes was dribbling out of it's eyes socket. There were some peppered areas on its shirt and some of the already rotting internal organs were more noticeable, especially by scent. It was reeking of death and decay. Its left eye regarded me, and blinked.

I don't exactly know which one of us screamed first, but we both stared to scream and fell back, scrambling away from each other. The Zombie back to the rock I had been hiding behind. I kept myself pressed against the wall behind me. The zombie looked as panicked as I was. My chest was heaving, not knowing what to do. The zombie didn't approach me either.

Why wasn't he trying to kill me and eat me? I gripped the rocks behind me, both of us staring at each other.

"You're real..." The zombie nodded slowly.

I took a deep breath and looked around only briefly, not wanting to take my eyes off of the zombie. Since he wasn't attacking me, I kind of guessed that he wasn't going to harm me. I stood up a little straighter, as did the zombie. Though, the zombie was a bit more hesitant.

"You understand me?" I asked. The zombie nodded its head, though I was pretty worried that his head was just going to fall off. I bit my lip, taking a deep breath. "Are you just a figment of my imagination...?" The zombie shook his head, keeping his back to the rock. He shrugged and I sighed softly. "Great."

I looked up briefly where I had fallen. Though, I tried not to deter too much of my attention from the zombie. I couldn't be completely sure that he was going to try and EAT me. The zombie seemed more sad, probably thinking about his cat.

I sighed softly and whispered, "I'm not going to hurt you. All I have is a camera."

I held up the camera and the zombie's eyes widened. Though, that was quickly short lived as I heard a meow down one of the tunnels. The zombie followed my gaze, but kept his eye on me. I guess he thought I was going to attack him. Though, an unprovoked attack was not my style. The zombie pointed to where the noise had come from.

"Kitty..."

I bit my lip and whispered, "You were looking for your cat."

He nodded and started to trudge through the rocks toward the cat sounds. "K-Kitty..."

I had no where else to go so I followed him. He must have been really focused because he hadn't even noticed me following. I kept my hands on my camera as I followed. I had turned the light on that was connected to my camera so I wasn't tripped through rocks. The zombie continued, calling for his cat.

"Where exactly are we?" The zombie looked back at me.

"Zerilath."