Perfected Flaws

Checkmate

Days, feelings, laughs and sweat passed by as Kat and her band practiced endlessly trying to tweak out and perfect every flaw they could find. The day of the concert arrived sooner than any of them could have planned and now that the nightt had arrived, nothing but tension, excitement and fear sat in the hollows of their veins and bones. Backstage Kat sat infront of the dressing room mirror, taking breaths and trying to calm her nerves. Josh sat, mellowed out, playing his riffs and Steph and Haley were on the couch warming up their vocals. No one dared to speak as nerves were already on the fritz. The door slammed, causing everyone to jump and Haley nearly passed out.

"God dammit Jake! What is it?!" Haley screamed at the newcomer who stood frozen in the dorrway. Still terrified, he looked over at Kat and cleared his throat. "Hey...um...you guys go on in five." His voice shook as he spoke and Kat felt bad for him. She walked over to him and gave him a hug.

"Relax ok? You did good, she's just nervous." Kat couldn't help but pity Jake who was constantly unser Haley's wrath. Ever since he agreed to be their manager she had been nearly suffocating him with pressure. If he didn't do somthing perfect or got them a crappy gig she shoved it down his throat. "I'll tell her to back off, you're doing just fine ok?" She gave him her best smile and ruffled his short brown hair so it stood up in spikes. Their laughter was drowned out by the announcer.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome to the Big Delusion's Band Competition! Please give a warm round of applause to your first contestant, Checkmate! Kat's heart sped up and nearly stopped as she heard the name of her band called. They all froze and just stared at eachother before Jake came to his senses.

"Kat! Josh! Come on you guys! let's go! You're up!" Everyone blinked than gasped and grabbed their guitars in what seemed like a tranced ritual. Kat ran out first, nearly tripping on the guitar cord but pulled it off as a spin stunt. Her face went bright red as the croud cheered and applauded. The noise got luder as the rest of the band came out as they planned. Josh smoothly flipping into his drum seat. Steph bouncing onto stage gracefully with her electric blue guitar. Followed by Haley, her grin stretched from ear to ear as she danced with her rad and black bass to Kat's left side. Kat nervouslt gripped the mic and took a deep breath.

"This first song goes out to all the bastards out there!" She smiled nervously as the croud all but exploded with applause. A jolt of excitment struck her body and she nearly dropped the mic as Josh started to strike the drums. Haley came in next, starting up the vocals and bass as Steph and Kat bounced in later, playing their parts. Kat, overwhelmed by the croud, grabbed the mic and started singing the verses with more confidence. She felt like she could fly. Hear ears blared with the music and cheers of her fans, her eyes were tearing up from the lights and the enjoyment and her voice was thick with emotion and pride. Before she knew it they were playing the songs in a rapidly slow pace, one after the other, each bringing new and amplified emotions that seemed to pour into her body endlessly. Their time was out faster than she liked. She gave the audience one last wave, and walked off stage, her chest held high. For once...things had gone the way she had planned.

"You know...Maybe dreams do come true." Haley laughed as soon as they were backstage, relaxing, waiting for the next band to be through playing. Kat smiled to herself and thoughts raced through her head. Just maybe...