Forever And Never

02

Since the first day of school started on a Wednesday, there were only a few merciless days until the back to school party on Saturday. So I endured two more days of school, stumbling lazily through the beginning of the year regulations that everyone had to suffer. I was hardly conscious throughout it all, promising myself that I'd pull it together this weekend and be ready for a brand new start come the next Monday.
I'd always been good with planning for parties, but I must've had help from a higher power on this one, for it was pure perfection that I ended up with by the time Saturday rolled around. With Thursday and Friday being slightly better, I composed the strength to convince my older brother Hayden to purchase two cases of beer for me to bring. He did so, granted that I let him borrow my car for a week, which I reluctantly agreed to. Another thing, Lori and Ali both got permission to stay the night at my house for a 'sleep over', and Hayden had also agreed to cover for them if any parents called. And lastly, my mother had left for a business trip at noon on Friday, and wouldn't be returning until Monday night. I couldn't have asked for a better outcome.
Lori, Ali and I arrived at the party at about eight thirty, having to park several houses down from the house that the party was actually being held in. Hayden had followed us in our mother's car, and carried in the beverages for us considering either of us could probably do it with our skinny arms, and the fact that we were all in heels and showy clothes. He left soon after, telling me to call him if anything was wrong, and the three of us walked into the house instantly swallowed up by the loud music and the dancing and the undeniable smell of smoke and alcohol.
I smiled, as I surveyed the scene around me, the sea of bodies all dancing in the living room, others in the kitchen playing some sort of drinking game, and the occasional couple making out on the couch or against the wall. I felt at home again, and for a second thought that I really was back in the month of July, partying all night.
I looked over at Lori and then Ali, their smiled the same as mine. We stalled for only a second before we jumped right into that same old scene we'd thought we'd left behind when we'd entered those school doors only three days ago.

I'll admit, I partied a lot harder than I probably should have and I consumed a bit more alcohol then I really needed. But the will to forget about life and just have a good time was stronger than the voice of my self conscious telling me to take it easy. And everyone else was doing it, even Ali who seemed to stay away from it more. We were all having a good time, and who was I to be the one to control how much I was drinking and therefore become the unfun one of the group? I'd rather have a terrible hangover the next morning than ruin everyone else's fun.
It was late into the night, probably around midnight, when I noticed a guy had been hanging around me for some time. He'd had his arm around me, snuggling my neck and making me feel uncomfortable. I hadn't wanted anything to happen that night sex wise; I'd just wanted to go and have fun with my friends and drink a lot and have a great time. So I was almost thankful when I felt a wave of queasiness strike me suddenly, giving me an excuse to get away from the guy.
"Excuse me..." I slurred, getting up from the couch we were sitting on and walking away quickly to the bathroom I'd used earlier in the night.
I'd managed, somehow, to throw up inside the toilet and not to the side. Once inside the bathroom with the door closed, it had been a photo finish to the toilet in the corner of the room. I leaned back against the wall with a tired sigh and sat in a crouching position, until the heel of my shoe slipped from under me and I fell on my ass. Once settled again, I leaned my head against the wall behind me with my eyes still closed, and wiped away anything that might be on my face with some toilet paper. The fun was over, I felt like crap now.
I could still hear the party raging on downstairs, the music pumping out of the stereos and the crowd of people yelling loudly. Vomiting everything you'd consumed within the last four hours really sobers you up fast apparently, since I no longer felt any will to go back down there and have a good time or even move for that matter. I just wanted to go home and go to sleep.
I sat like that for a long time not wanting to move, knowing it might cause me to throw up again. But I knew someone would be knocking on the door soon, needing to come in, so I figured I better get up while I felt semi-okay. I sighed reluctantly, and opened my eyes, looking at the ground first then casting my eyes up to look around the room.
But I immediately screamed and jumped, tried to back away even though I already had my back firmly against the wall and couldn't move any further away. Instead, I stopped screaming as soon as I could, and looked forward confused. There sitting in the bathtub — with no water in it and all of his clothes on — was the new kid who'd stared at me on the first day of school.
My mind was still clouded with the remains of the alcohol in my system, as I looked at him curiously, unable to come up with a logical reason as to why he was sitting in a bathtub. What was he even doing here? He didn't seem like the kind of person to show up at a party like this.
Slow realization crept up, and I felt my face turn red. He'd just seen me vomit in front of him like some crazy drunk. What would he think of me now? To him I was probably some party girl who couldn't handle her alcohol. I bit my lip nervously as I waited for him to say something. But instead he simply sat there, look at me blankly.
"Hi…" I finally said, figuring that he wasn't going to speak up anytime soon. I wiped at my face with the back of my hand again, even though it was clean. He continued to stare at me, watching me intently with an interested look on his face.
"Great party, huh?" I tried again, but he stayed silent. I ached on the inside from the awkwardness in the room. I just wanted to leave now; I wasn't having any fun at this stupid party anymore.
"…I guess you wouldn't know, would you? Since you're sitting up here away from everything…" He was quiet and I was convinced that I was making a fool out of myself. He'd already seen me stumble in here like I was about to pass out, then had the pleasure of seeing my puke out my guts into the toilet. I was making it worse by trying to strike up a conversation.
"I bet I look pretty stupid right now-" I started to say, only he interrupted me.
"No, you don't look stupid at all." He said, his voice surprising me. "You look stunning and a little… drunk. But you don't look stupid at all." He seemed to almost take offense that I would even consider myself stupid, and it made me blush a little that he was so quick to correct me.
"That's nice…" I replied with a smile, desperately trying to fill the silence.
I failed though, and it was soon uncomfortably quiet again as if he hadn't even spoken. I stood up and slowly made my way to the bathroom door. I couldn't take it anymore, I had to get back to all the noise and movement. I couldn't stand sitting here any longer, squirming under his intense eyes. I leaned on the wall for support when the nauseous feeling returned.
"Wait…" I heard him say when I was almost at the door, almost free of this horrible awkward conversation. I turned around and looked at him for a second, then slumped back down to the ground, thinking it would help my stomach. But, unfortunately the queasy feeling continued on, and I groaned unhappily.
"W… what's your name…? I’d like to know…" he asked nervously, then shifted in the bathtub as if this were suddenly as uncomfortable for him as it was for me. I noticed that he was wearing a plain white shirt again, and light grey jeans. I was sure that I wouldn't be able speak, for the nauseous feeling felt like it was getting worse by the second, but I managed to say my name.
"Nicolette…" I said almost in a whisper and he smiled, like most people did when they heard my name. I guess it was the uncommonness of the name that made people like it, but I didn't know.
"What’s yours?" I managed to get out, but the vomit quickly followed. Luckily, I turned my head fast enough to avoid getting any of it on me. Grossed out, I moved away from the mess on the floor, and wiped my mouth quickly with my hands, not wanting to look any stupider than I already did.
I looked up at him, not bothering to hide my shame and embarrassment. His face was the same as before, a smile that I didn't deserve right now. His eyes, those beautiful blue eyes, shone brightly and I felt my heart swoon.
"August." he answered quietly with a smooth, unchanging grin.
♠ ♠ ♠
I recently rewrote this chapter to make it so it was longer and had better words and more detail, and I realized that I didn't even think of changing the whole August in the bath tub thing even though it's quite easily one of the weirdest things in the story.
I never even understood why I put that in there, but was laughing at myself for not even considering changing it. Maybe I will one day, and he'll just accidentally walk in on her throwing up or something. :P