Like a Damaged Nerve

No Shit....

The hospital loaded me into a van that was going to be taking me to the airport. From there, I would be meeting an American escort to fly with me back to Chicago. I was so happy to finally be heading home but at the same time, I almost felt sick over seeing my family. I didn’t want to be a different person that who I was when I left. But sleep hadn’t been coming very easily for me and my healed wound would send shooting pains through my body at times. They said I might have PTSD, I said no shit…

We pulled up to the concourse and the van parked, a nurse helping me out carefully. I was a little cold, shivering slightly. The nurses were sent out to get me some clothes and came back with some yoga pants and a long sleeve tee shirt. It was still too cold for me. Coming from the blazing desert to the German fall air was a drastic difference. The nurse escorted me inside and went up to the flight desk, speaking with the airline agent for a moment before handing me my ticket and that my escort would be coming shortly. The nurse said goodbye and I was alone, waiting for my escort.

“Well, hey stranger.” I heard a male voice say. I turned and laughed, shaking my head a little bit. Alex Riley, the Marine who saved my life, was my escort.

“I thought you all left for home?” I asked as he came over, gently placing a hand on my shoulder.

“And leave my battle buddy? I waited to help you get home.” He said, smiling a little and turning, helping me through security and then to our gate, where he handed me my backpack, full of my things and then something new….and red.

“What is this?” I asked, pulling out the red sweatshirt and then starting to smile when I saw that familiar Native American head.

“Just a little reminder of home that the guys helped pay for. It even has your fiancée’s last name.” He said, prompting me to flip it over and see Kane on the back.

“Thank you…” I said softly, making him laugh and squeeze my shoulders very carefully.

“Let’s get you back to Chicago, okay?” He said with a soft smile in return to mine.

I pulled on the sweatshirt and then nodded at him, leaning back in my seat until they called our seats. We boarded and Alex let me have the window seat. The stewardesses were very attentive, I was guessing because I was military and they knew it. We were given first class for the whole flight, which was nice except all I wanted to do was fall asleep. I wanted to sleep and I wanted the next thing I saw to be the beautiful Chicago skyline.
♠ ♠ ♠
so sorry for the delay, everyone.
been on the hunt for a new job lately
got myself an interview on saturday, yay!