Like a Damaged Nerve

I've Got Some Bad News...

I sighed, settling myself into the chair in front of the dinosaur of a computer I had access too. I had sent quick phone call to Jon, telling him I could video chat with them at a specific time. He said he would get Patrick to come over as well. It was another incredibly hot day, we had the air conditioners on full blast. I was very thankful that our base was pretty well put together. Although, I had gotten news that I would be moving to an outpost where they needed another Corpsman to help, which meant no such luxuries. Because the Marines used it as recon and since they were due to be leaving for a mission, I was very much needed. I waited for them to pick up the skype call, tapping my fingers on the desk slowly before I heard the connection crackle to life and three faces popped up on my screen, making me smile.

“Family!” I cheered, laughing a little bit. Their letters always brightened my day but seeing them just made it so much better.

“Hi! Oh my god! What’s been going! Patrick’s been dying to hear from you.” Kylee started, smiling at me. Patrick rolled his eyes a little bit but still smiled.

“I’ll have plenty of time to talk to you, mister, first things first, how’s my niece?” I asked, hearing some others come into the room and go to the computers to probably check emails.

“She’s driving me crazy; I want her out right now.” Kylee said with a pout. I laughed, shaking my head at her.

“She’s going to be exactly like me, just watch.” I teased her, making her pout more. I knew she was due in just a few days and I was bummed that I couldn’t be home for it.

“Well, we can’t wait for you to meet her.” Jon said, smiling at Kylee for a moment. I sighed a little, rubbing my face.

“I’ve got bad news…” I said, moving my hands back to the desk. I could see Patrick’s face instantly look depressed and it hurt me so much to say this, “…they’re extending my deployment…”

They’re what!?” Kylee and Patrick both shouted at the same time. I would have laughed and commented about how they’re spending too much time around each other, if this weren’t such a serious thing.

“They need another Corpsman to go out with the Marines…I uh…won’t be able to communicate for at least another five months. If I happen to get a hold of a satellite phone, I’ll call or leave a voicemail but mail is your best bet.” I said, trying to keep an even tone with them.

“Wait, so when are you due home now?” Patrick asked, frowning deeply. I bit my lip and looked down at my lap for a moment.

“Maybe December…” I said, hearing a loud bang and looking up to see Patrick was no longer in the video. I frowned more and sighed heavily.

“I’ll go talk to him…” Jon said, getting up and leaving Kylee and I on the chat.

“I miss you guys…but I just…I don’t know what to do to make anyone feel better.” I said, making Kylee shake her head.

“That should be the least of your worries. We’re all okay here, you just worry about getting home safely, got it?” She said, pointing a finger at me. I nodded and then Jon was back. He said his goodbyes and so did Kylee, leaving Patrick and I to talk. He had finally come back.

“Baby…” I said, frowning at the screen. He looked so upset and all I wanted was to just hug him again. I missed him to most out of everyone.

“I’m sorry…I over reacted, I just…I miss you so much.” He said, frowning as well. “I’ve been playing like shit on top of that.”

“So I’ve heard, it’s not the best signal but we can hear the games on the TV. The picture is sometimes there too.” I said, trying to make him at least smile. His mouth twitched and he shook his head. “Hey, I love you…you know that. You need to focus on hockey, not me.”

“You’re my fiancée; I can’t help but think about you.” He said with a sheepish smile. I sighed happily this time, glad to see that little smile of his.

“I know babe, but you need to, okay? Keep my dog tags on; I’m always right there with those on your neck.” I said, hearing that time was almost up. “I love you, Patrick. I’ll talk to you as soon as I get the chance.”

“I love you too…be safe.” He said, waving at the screen. I waved back and the connection was gone. I groaned a little and rubbed my face again, then felt a hand on my shoulder. It was another Corpsman who was leaving with me.

“We gotta go.” He said, gesturing to the doors. I nodded and got up, following him outside and out to the air field, holding our covers down as the helicopter roared. I would have rather the snow of Chicago, to be home…than all this sand.
♠ ♠ ♠
Booooo :(
but yay, sequel!