Like a Damaged Nerve

... Today

“Snow!” Aubrey squealed from Jonny’s lap as we were sitting at a table, waiting for Patrick and Katie to show up.

My eyes darted to the window to see a few large flakes flopping to the ground. Once I glanced back over at Jonny, I caught him smile before he pressed a kiss to the top of Aubrey’s head that was covered in dark, wavy locks.

“If your Auntie and Uncle don’t show up soon, we’re going to go play in it,” Jonny replied.

“They’re always late,” I added. “But they were meeting with their wedding planner this morning,” I reminded him.

“Hopefully, that went well,” he went on to mumbled. I felt like he just had a flashback to meetings with our wedding planner. He always came out of those… a little overwhelmed, so he was a bit frustrated each time. But thankfully, it was under five minutes before Patrick led Katie to our table. And both of them… look rather happy. Aw.

“How’d the little meeting go?” I asked Katie who sat across the table from me.

“Fine,” she said with a big ole smile on her face. She glanced at Patrick, causing his smile to come over as his eyes scanned over the menu.

If I didn’t know how giddy I felt while Jon and I were going through our wedding things, I would have pressed them a little more. But Jonny and Patrick began to talk about the team and their upcoming games or how the standings were panning out.

While the boys talked, Katie managed to pull Aubrey from her daddy’s lap. They interacted all throughout our meal… and being the picture-taking mom that I am, I snapped a few of these precious moments.

As lunch was coming to an end, Jonny wrestled his daughter back from her Auntie. She was looking rather drowsy anyway. Once she was in Jonny’s arms, she turned over so that her head was resting on his chest, causing him to cradle her tightly.

“So, we had an idea,” Katie began, seeming like she was going to burst with excitement.

“Oh no…” I had to tease.

“Don’t ‘oh no’,” Patrick butted in.

“Then tell me what your idea is, so I don’t have to oh no,” was my response.

“We were just thinking…” Katie started, glancing at Patrick.

“We’re just going to do it. We’re not thinking…” Patrick seemed to remind her.

“What are you guys doing?” Jonny stepped into the conversation.

“Getting married…” Katie shrugged.

I waited for something else to come… but it never did. I glanced over at Jonathan to see that his expression basically mirrored mine.

“… Today,” Patrick added.

“What?” I asked more out of confusion. What about today?

“We’re getting married… today,” he strung together.

“What?!” it was Jonny’s turn now.

“We’re going to the town hall to get our marriage license,” Katie verified for us all.

“At least they’re not flying out to Vegas,” I had to taunt over at my husband.

“I don’t think we could make it there and back before the game tomorrow,” Patrick chuckled, causing Jonny to roll his eyes.

“But we wanted some family there, so we were wondering if…”

“We’ll be there,” I butted in before she could finish.

Katie’s mouth was still opened like she wanted to say something else. When it closed though, she had a big smile on her face that just warmed my heart. This was something that she obviously really wanted and I wanted nothing more than to be there for her.